Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014

Old 12-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I think your post might have gotten jacked up a bit trying to post, but I kinda understand what you're saying.

But, like...in boxing, when some guy lands a huge hit on another, he goes down and the ref is right there to back him off and do a count.

In MMA, the first reaction on a guy who's seeing stars and laying on the ground is to go right at him and pound his fucking face in until his eye is bruised shut. That, or just put your opponent in an armbar until they give up. MMA is so boring and ultra-fucking barbaric to me.

People have been injured playing football, but they have protection. They have pads and helmets and all that. Boxers have gloves and you can't hit below the belt. For MMA, you can get a flying fucking knee to the face. It's just a street fight (to me) and that's just not fun to watch.
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2
Old 12-30-2010, 08:01 PM
I ♥ Metal

I guess I can kind of see where you're coming from, but what I guess what you're just not getting is the passion behind it. If you've never experienced one on one combat competition before it's very hard to describe. What's great about mma us that you have every weapon the human body is capable of (almost). As far as protection goes, anything besides the gloves would only hamper what the fighters are able to do. Helmets/headgear would rule out chokes, other padding would make groundfighting and wrestling very hard to execute.
8/15-18 Rootwire Festival
10/11 Neutral Milk Hotel
Old 12-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Not talking about them as people. I'm talking about the sport. If you say MMA is a sport, then two guys brawling in an alley is a sport. Only difference is that there's a guy to tell you when your opponent taps out.
If I nailed a pick-a-nick basket to my garage and got some buddies together and we all tried to throw a cantaloupe into it, would that be a sport? No, but it sounds a lot like basketball.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 AM
I ♥ Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
If I nailed a pick-a-nick basket to my garage and got some buddies together and we all tried to throw a cantaloupe into it, would that be a sport? No, but it sounds a lot like basketball.
10/11 Neutral Milk Hotel
Old 12-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
ah yes, CantaBall
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2
Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Regretting my username

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I bought The Pit workout DVD set with John Hackelman. I haven't done it yet, but I plan on doing it in a few weeks here. Question: why do MMA people wear ill-fitting shirts? It seems like you either have to have a skin tight shirt or one that is two sizes too big. Buy your size, guys.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Regretting my username

Also, there is a part in the lower leg workout where you jump rope for a few minutes. One girl doesn't have a rope, and the instructor says "Christina over there has the invisible rope, for those of you who don't have a jump rope or only have one arm and can't use a jump rope."

Who the fuck has one arm and wants to do MMA? I don't doubt that there are a few people out there like that, but was that a necessary consideration in the video?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

im kind of the opposite here. im actually interested in street fighting more than cage matches because of the rules. imo fighting has a time and place, and to put rules on someone just undermines the whole thing altogether. for example, people who do boxing might know how to win a fight in the ring, but on the street their training is pretty much useless because they train to fight according to a certain set of rules, whereas on the street your opponent doesnt.

as far as entertainment goes, mma is boring to watch because its almost always two guys landing a few punches and then it resorts to wrestling. some people might think its interesting to watch two half naked dudes rolling around ontop of each other, but id rather see someone get knocked out with strikes instead of just giving up out of physical exhaustion.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I ♥ Metal

I've never really thought of it from the perspective of someone who isn't really part if the sport themselves, I mean I wrestle for my school and have been doing martial arts since I was 5.... so I can respect what they do because I myself have done it.
10/11 Neutral Milk Hotel
Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 PM
N00B

mma

i freaking love mma and order every fight i can