Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon-- Worcester, MA-- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 12-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Regretting my username

Easy A was alright for a bored Friday night flick. And Date Night was pretty funny, just because of Fey and Carrell. (And Kunis)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:15 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
I see nothing special about horror films. Five teens go camping and get slaughtered by some insane guy with an axe. That is how I some up all horror movies I see because that is all that goes on in the horror movies I have seen.
You obviously don't know anything about Horror films LET ALONE GREAT horror films. You've been watching way too many "I know what you did last summer/SCREAM" bullshit.

Here is a good example of a perfect horror movie. I grew up with this film through most of my childhood.

Easily one of the greatest horror/scifi movies ever made....damn this movie brings back so much memories
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
You've lost your movie talking privileges, so please stay out of my thread. Not because I disagree with you, but because you're fucking willfully ignorant. I'm not even the biggest horror fan in the world anymore, but anyone with a pulse knows that all horror movies aren't like that. Hell, I've only seen one (Friday the 13th) that's even remotely like that, and I've seen a lot of horror movies.
This. All of it. Well put, Brad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Date Night was pretty funny, just because of Fey and Carrell. (And Kunis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Here is a good example of a perfect horror movie...
Your recent streak of accidentally saying shit that I actually agree with, continues...
Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Youth in Revolt: Michael Cera playing kinda-not-Michael Cera. Funny, maybe?
Edge of Darkness: I like redemption stories and I thought this could have been Mel's.
Hot Tub Time Machine: The title should have been enough to get me out to this one.
Clash of the Titans: Got bullied by critics into skipping what looked like a pretty fun fantasy flick.
Despicable Me: Steve Carell's presence, along with the two funny gags in the trailer involving the little girl ("It's so fluffy I could die" and "Does this count as annoying?") made me want to see it; the annoyingly flaunted 3D (A roller coaster? Seriously?) and, let's be honest, fucking terrible title, stopped me.
Tangled: Wasn't interested until multiple people, including my ten-year-old sister who's an expert on the subject, told me it was a "Disney princess classic." Guess it'll be a rental.
The Human Centipede: If you know the premise of the movie, you know exactly why it's intriguing. Will it suck? Probably, but I want to see exactly how it goes about sucking.
Salt: Sure, it sounds like every other spy movie ever, but it stars Angelina Jolie, whom I love, and hey, who doesn't like a well-executed spy film?
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest: Through a series of unfortunate circumstances and weather complications, I didn't get to see the third movie in the Millennium Trilogy when I thought I was going to. Critics would probably say that that's okay, but when I start a trilogy and enjoy its first two parts, I like to finish it.
Youth in Revolt: Was seriously pretty good. I liked it a lot.

Edge of Darkness: Wasnít as bad as I thought it might be, but after I started to like it a bit, I sadly realized that it could have been a whole lot better. Not bad, but not excellent by any stretch.

Hot Tub Time Machine: Wasnít as funny as I thought it would be, but not a total waste of time. Set expectations to ďway lowĒ and youíll be fine.

Clash of the Titans: THE CRITICS WERE RIGHT, BRAD. This is the worst fucking movie I have paid to see in theaters in a seriously long time. Total dog shit. Avoid at all costs. Please. Seriously. Donít fucking do it, I beg you. (BTW, I really like the mythos of this story, and it should have been good, but it was a complete failure from begining to end.)

Despicable Me: This was pretty damn good. Funny, and has a cute side, too. Worth your attention.

Tangled: Awesome movie. One of the best of the year. I would actually suggest you try to see it in a theater, and in 3D. It lives up to the hype and then some.

The Human Centipede: Intriguing to me for the same reasons as you. I have a digital copy (downloaded) on my PC that Iíll watch someday when Iím bored as hell.

Salt: Agree with your comments on this one. Itís at the top of my Blockbuster queue.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest: Have a copy / waiting to watch / canít wait. I havenít seen ďThe Girl Who Played with FireĒ yet, either, though. Do you think thatíll be a problem? I know these movies are part of a trilogy, but from what I hear they are un-related plots that simply involve one central character, so Iím thinking it probably wonít matter if I see them out of order.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:02 PM
We're dying on the inside

YIR: Cool, I'll put it in my queue.
EOD: Damn, too bad. Kinda thought that's how it would be though.
HTTM: Duly noted.
COTT: Fair enough. I'll keep that one in the skip category.
DM: Noted.
Tangled: I'll talk to my little sister about a re-watching.
THC (herr derr): It's instant from Netflix, so it's just a matter of time. Waiting for a boring day too.
Salt:
TGWKTHN: I saw The Girl Who Played With Fire before I saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and wasn't bothered a bit, so I'd say you're fine.

Last edited by DethMaiden; 12-22-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 PM
We're dying on the inside

Also, I doubt if I get to docs tonight. Christmas shopping/wrapping/returning-things-I-found-out-other-family-members-already-bought is gonna take most of my waking hours.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Blue Valentine: The NC-17 rating may have dissuaded some people, but it actually served to insert a move that otherwise wouldn't have been on my radar into my consciousness. The trailer is beautiful, and while I'm not compelled to see it immediately and don't think it could breach my top ten, it does look good.
I just finished watching the trailer for it. I'm extremely interested in seeing this film now. Looks very promising and all the reviews/Critics seem to think very highly of it. Also the Movie is no longer NC-17, the director won an appeal and got the movie overturned to an R rating.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6788651.story

I will definitely catch this film when it comes out next week.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_streets View Post
the worst movie i watched this year was 'the book of eli' i fucking despise that movie
Really? I enjoyed it.

I've seen a few of the not-so-praised movies, so here's my take on them:

The Wolfman was good, but not really great. The acting was good and all, but there wasn't enough action if I remember correctly, though when there was it was nice and bloody.

Salt was pretty enjoyable. Not one of the best movies of the year by any means, but there was nothing particularly bad about it.

Now, this opinion is probably a rare one, but I honestly didn't think Clash of the Titans was a real bad movie. I feel that it had the potential to be a lot better, mainly because I felt that there was almost too much shoved into one movie. It would've without a doubt worked better as a two-part movie.

As for some other movies,

Hot Tub Time Machine is definately worth a watch. It was without a doubt hilarious, though there weren't any particularly memorable one-liners.

I'm kind of mixed about Youth in Revolt. I did enjoy it, but I didn't think it was really great. There was nothing where I really laughed out loud at. Nowhere near as good as Scott Pilgrim, which I was loling at quite a bit.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
You've lost your movie talking privileges, so please stay out of my thread. Not because I disagree with you, but because you're fucking willfully ignorant. I'm not even the biggest horror fan in the world anymore, but anyone with a pulse knows that all horror movies aren't like that. Hell, I've only seen one (Friday the 13th) that's even remotely like that, and I've seen a lot of horror movies.
All the horror movies i have seen are like that. I don't even like SAW and The Texas Chainsaw as much as I use to.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Cow

Oh my