Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Slipknot -- El Paso, TX -- October 29th, 2014
Saint Vitus -- London, England -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- Seattle, WA -- October 28th, 2014
King Diamond -- Salt Lake City, UT -- October 26th, 2014
Raven -- San Francisco, CA -- October 27th, 2014

Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

It's one of the few I really don't want to go to. It's the Blabbermouth of European festivals. Too big, too many metal-wannabe tweens who think it's the only festival in Europe, too many bands so great bands end up playing 30 minute sets etc. etc.

I haven't decided what I'll go to next year. But I know Sonisphere, Download, Wacken and Bloodstock are probably the four most certain to not be on the list.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Old 12-21-2010, 04:34 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
It's one of the few I really don't want to go to. It's the Blabbermouth of European festivals. Too big, too many metal-wannabe tweens who think it's the only festival in Europe, too many bands so great bands end up playing 30 minute sets etc. etc.

I haven't decided what I'll go to next year. But I know Sonisphere, Download, Wacken and Bloodstock are probably the four most certain to not be on the list.
I get that vibe too. I used to really want to go, now I could honestly care less. I wish more festivals were like Maryland Death Fest, i.e. not a field with a million people in it where it's nigh impossible to be close to the stage and the sound blows.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Surprised to see Ozzy and Suicidal Tendencies there.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I get that vibe too. I used to really want to go, now I could honestly care less. I wish more festivals were like Maryland Death Fest, i.e. not a field with a million people in it where it's nigh impossible to be close to the stage and the sound blows.
Hence the exponential appeal of ProgPower USA to me. Held in basically a theater with a 1,200 capacity. GA floor, GA seats around the sides and in the back. 6 bands a night, no one plays under 45 minutes.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Being in a field works, provided the crowd is capped at around 35,000 people. Multiple stages thins that out as well. The sound doesn't have to suck at outdoor fests, and the view doesn't have to suck either. But the fest needs to do it right, and doing it right doesn't mean selling as many tickets as physically possible at the detriment of all other aspects of the event. Which is how most major fests operate.

Wacken runs on reputation alone. Just look at the reaction to European fests on this board alone, and multiply that up. Mention a dozen fests and everyone says "I'd love to go to Wacken". It's like mentioning a European holiday and everyone saying they want to visit Paris. It's a dump, but everyone believes it's the place to go to. Everyone believes the same about Wacken in the context of European festivals. There are countless better festivals.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Surprised to see Ozzy and Suicidal Tendencies there.
Why? When they do Summer European tours both play several big festivals.

There isn't a single surprising band on the bill apart from Avantasia, who were announced first. It's an exclusive in a year when no Avantasia shows were expected. The rest are mostly Wacken regulars.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest

Last edited by ravenheart; 12-21-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
N00B

I thought I had a good time in 2007, and that everyone I wanted to see played for over 50 minutes, and that I got up front on the rail for a couple bands, but I'm glad everyone here was able to set me straight. Phew.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM
not the mama

I don't really understand the American appeal in European metal festivals in general. Most of the main stage bands wind up touring the US eventually in smaller venues, which is most likely a better show. Then the bands that might never get to play in America that are probably the best acts to see only get like a 30 minute set because they are not big enough.

That being said, I love Road Burn and Obscene Extreme Fest. Mainly because they constantly have incredible lineups, exclusive acts that you might never see anywhere else playing all weekend.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Bobb O)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
I thought I had a good time in 2007, and that everyone I wanted to see played for over 50 minutes, and that I got up front on the rail for a couple bands, but I'm glad everyone here was able to set me straight. Phew.

i would like to go to wacken.
10/4-Melvins
Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

So am I really gonna be the first one to bring this up for Wacken?