Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Agalloch

1. Ashes Against the Grain
2. The Mantle
3. Marrow of the Spirit
4. Pale Folklore

The correct answer. Pale Folklore still is orgasmic, but their worst. By far.
Yeah, that would be mine. No other order would really even make sense. The Mantle is a close 2nd though; In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion is still probably my favorite Agalloch song.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Beerdrinkers & Hellraisers

Slayer

Show No Mercy
Reign In Blood
Haunting the Chapel
Hell Awaits
South Of Heaven
Seasons in the Abyss
Devine Intervention
God Hates Us All
World Painted Blood
Christ Illusion
Undisputed Attitude (Minor Threat cover is what saves it from falling beneath Diabolos)
Diabolos In Musica

Last edited by Rowsdower!; 02-23-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Yeah, that would be mine. No other order would really even make sense. The Mantle is a close 2nd though; In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion is still probably my favorite Agalloch song.
Frankly, I can understand switching The Mantle and Marrow because they're both close. I took The Mantle because its of melancholy is so perfect and the acoustic elements are top notch.

In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion is easily in their top 5, but Limbs and Bloodbirds always will share the top spot at the top of the Agalloch pyramid.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Frankly, I can understand switching The Mantle and Marrow because they're both close. I took The Mantle because its of melancholy is so perfect and the acoustic elements are top notch.

In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion is easily in their top 5, but Limbs and Bloodbirds always will share the top spot at the top of the Agalloch pyramid.
It would go like this for me...
1. In the Shadow
2. Limbs
3. Not Unlike the Waves
4. Bloodbirds part II
5. Up for grabs. Hawthorne maybe.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
wat
I like Marrow the most because its black metal influnces are way more prominent than on the other 3. IMO it flows the best and is the most choesive. Pale Folklore is the only other cd of theirs that I love whole thing. Ashes has more songs that I like than The Mantle.

Last edited by hb420; 02-23-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
IMO it flows the best and is the most choesive.
Y'know, we're really different people, then. Because Agalloch may be my favorite band right now, and pretty much the only thing that really, truly, 100% bothers me about Marrow of the Spirit is its inability to be a cohesive piece.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Y'know, we're really different people, then. Because Agalloch may be my favorite band right now, and pretty much the only thing that really, truly, 100% bothers me about Marrow of the Spirit is its inability to be a cohesive piece.
At first I thought that too, but for me it was getting used to Black Lake Nidstang. Which is probably the weirdest and most expiermental song they've done at this point. That was always the point of the CD which I thought it lost its course, but it grew on me
Why do you think it really lacks cohesiveness?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
At first I thought that too, but for me it was getting used to Black Lake Nidstang. Which is probably the weirdest and most expiermental song they've done at this point. That was always the point of the CD which I thought it lost its course, but it grew on me
Why do you think it really lacks cohesiveness?
Black Lake certainly is the most out there song that they've done to date, as is the album as a whole, in fact. I think that songs like Into the Painted Grey and parts of Watcher's Monolith don't really decide where they want to be in the black metal spectrum. Into the Painted Grey starts like a total rocker but then sort of pusses out and wants to be a Mantle-ish sort of brooding song. It didn't really make for consistency throughout the album, like The Mantle and Ashes did.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Black Lake certainly is the most out there song that they've done to date, as is the album as a whole, in fact. I think that songs like Into the Painted Grey and parts of Watcher's Monolith don't really decide where they want to be in the black metal spectrum. Into the Painted Grey starts like a total rocker but then sort of pusses out and wants to be a Mantle-ish sort of brooding song. It didn't really make for consistency throughout the album, like The Mantle and Ashes did.
I thought the exact opposite lol. With songs like Into The Painted Grey and Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires, they had finally found a perfect balance between black metal and folk infused post rock. The songs I thought switched seemsley with the best transistions they've had yet, and only let up so you could catch your breath before bringing their blackend assault again. Best example Into The Painted Grey which is my favorite song on the cd. The only aspects I didn't like were the analogue production and the clean vocals. The production didnt allow the music to have a more fuller sound and a better low end, which would have done the music more justice (mostly the drums). The clean vocals on The Watcher's Monolith I thought were really forced Ashes had some like it but difinatly not as bad as this. The Mantle probably has my favorite clean vocals.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
I like Mezerize and Hypnotize the best.
this
3/15 Gogol Bordello