Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Top 5 2009 metal albums you might have missed until 2010 (or at least I did)

5. Zu - Carboniferous

Really strange, heavy, and inventive mix of metal, jazz, and electronica. Mostly instrumental, but with a guest appearance by Mike Patton. Badass stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hun8GlxGYus

4. Ankla - Persistence

I have become a sucker for strong and novel fusions between modern metal or punk and regional traditional musics. I went out looking for good latino metal infused with salsa and flamenco sounds, and didn't have much luck until a couple of people here at metalsetlists directed me to Puya and Ankla. Ankla's Persistence is a thrilling concoction, with the best and strongest latin influence I've heard in any metal recording. The beats are there in every song, along with occasional salsa melodies or singing styles and flamenco picking. The final song, "No Te Detengas," is an all-out salsa tune, and catchy as hell -- possibly the best track on the disc. The singer reminds me a little of John Bush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elGCXSlDwhU

3. Suspended - Prelude to Indignance

Three female Native American teenagers from Albuquerque. Who better to put out the best thrash set I've heard in a long time? This stuff is technically proficient, intelligent, and fierce. Just completely fucking badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzj8ROtkrWM

2. Grandmother Is Dead - Trust Christ Today

This Czech outfit is self-described as "scenic doom music"; they blend metal with flamenco with found sounds to create a genuinely chilling album about the birth of the nuclear age. For all the satanic posturing of various metal acts, none of them can really match lines like "the defense department suggests we may have to destroy five or six more cities before the enemy believes we possess such a weapon" -- delivered with perfect earnestness by a news commentator immediately following the destruction of Hiroshima -- for inspiring actual terror. Having such clips play out against the somber musical backdrop is a unique experience, equal parts thought-provoking and gut-wrenching. It's not an album I want to listen to a lot, but it's an album you can hear once and be changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvHvgHXA0tY

1. Dalriada - Arany-album

Not much to say except that this is the best folk metal I've heard, and I've never seen their name mentioned anywhere. Apparently they have a new album coming in 2011. I'll be watching for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnkBX...eature=related

How 'bout y'all? Were there any outstanding 2009 albums that slipped under your radar until this year?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

5. The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
4. Fen - The Malediction Fields
3. Maudlin of the Well - Part the Second
2. Skagos - Ast
1. Vektor - Black Future

All killer albums especially Black Future. I can say confidently all five of these would be in my top 20 had I known about them, which is quite the statement considering the year we had.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 PM
We're dying on the inside

@ Wine - That Fen album is pretty sick.

@ Scott - I'm gonna have to check out that Grandmother Is Dead album. I like what I hear. Oddly, I've been looking for some Czech metal but could pretty much only find NSBM stuff and punk. The rest of that stuff isn't really my thing, but it's cool that you found some really underground shit. With the exception of Ankla who I saw live in 2007 and thought suuuuuuuuuuuucked.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Headbanger

I'd be first to admit that Vektor would replace Endgame in my 2009 list. I still really like 3 songs off Endgame but 3 songs don't make a Top 10 cd. Where Vektor would fall in my Top 10 would be the interesting question. It would certainly be in my Top 10 of cd's I heard in 2010.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Being relatively new to this site, I don't know if anyone had Sacrifice's The Ones I Condemn on their list for 2009, but it's a really great album and I never really see anyone talk about these guys. Some really solid thrash from a band that hadn't recorded an album since 1993. They're pretty much worshipped by metalheads here in the Toronto area and I'm hoping their popularity grows. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not checking this album out as well as their old albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCYQmjkovrM

The riff at 1:22 is a great example of the stuff these guys do the best... simple riffs that will absolutely tear your neck apart.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Headbanger

No idea those guys released a cd in 2009. Very cool. I like how they stayed true to their sound too.

Funny story I was selling some albums on ebay and I had a pristine copy of their 1st album. I was hoping to get $15 for it and it went for $85 to someone in Canada. So yeah they're huge up there from what I saw.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Vektor is the first one that comes to mind. There are some others...let me think about this.

EDIT: Regret not having time to check out last year's releases from Wolves in the Throne Room, Junius and City of Ships before doing my "Best of 2009" list.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-14-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
@ Scott - I'm gonna have to check out that Grandmother Is Dead album. I like what I hear. Oddly, I've been looking for some Czech metal but could pretty much only find NSBM stuff and punk. The rest of that stuff isn't really my thing, but it's cool that you found some really underground shit. With the exception of Ankla who I saw live in 2007 and thought suuuuuuuuuuuucked.
You can download the whole Trust Christ Today album for free from the band's website:

http://www.grandmotherisdead.com/mp3.htm

As for Ankla, I like the Persistence EP much better than the Steep Trails LP they would have been touring behind in '07. The latin influence on the newer album is much more prominent, and freshens up the whole sound quite a lot. But now their singer has left so who knows what they'll do next.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:44 AM
...the dead are among us!

Ahab - The Divinity Of Oceans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I84762UVKSg

Very atmospheric doomy stuff.
2/8 - Aesop Rock ?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:03 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

hell yeah. matter of fact, I've found so much cool stuff from 2009 that I'm actually making another 'Best of 2009' list...almost finalized as we speak