Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post

29. A Silver Mt. Zion - Kollaps Tradixionales

28. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine

27. Landmine Marathon - Sovereign Descent

26. Lair of the Minotaur - Evil Power

24. Intronaut - Valley of Smoke

23. Red Sparowes - The Fear is Excruciating, But Therein Lies the Answer
Oooooh shit. I'm starting to like your list a whole lot more these days.

...and you're fucking welcome for the Landmine Marathon tip.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:49 AM
We're dying on the inside

Can't complain about that chunk of the list.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Can't complain about that chunk of the list.
You deserve a bro fist for that Lantlos mention. Wouldn't have found that without you bringing them up somewhere.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
You deserve a bro fist for that Lantlos mention. Wouldn't have found that without you bringing them up somewhere.
No prob, dude. I generally try to stay pretty on top of black metal so never hesitate to come with me with stuff you don't know about or whatever.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 PM

20. Ludicra - The Tenant

There is nothing a band can do to aggravate me more than have a female vocalist who just is there to look good. However, Ludicra have a female vocalist who is there to belt some awesome black metal vox. Ludicra is also a somewhat supergroup who play music nothing like their original groups. The Tenant is an album that attempts to project a feeling of emptiness and distaste of city life, and it does a pretty damn good job. The Tenant doesn't act like your regular nth wave black metal album that is there to be grim and kvlt and get the fuck out. It actually works to project emotion, and everybody in the band plays their part. It was pointed out to me that the album has a few throwback riffs and sections to some older classic metal bands that really magnified the album's range to me. The Tenant is an ambitious album from a band that is just starting to realize its potential.

19. Hooded Menace - Never Cross the Dead

Hooded Menace are a band who are trying to find their home in a gap between death and doom metal, two genres that seemed fairly incompatible with each other to me. After hearing Hooded Menace's debut, I was at least intrigued enough to try out Never Cross the Dead, which is much more in a death metal mold than its predecessor. WIth Lasse Pyykkö (try pronouncing that) of Acid Witch fame, the album cruises along at a tortoise's pace throwing the listener around with some obviously death metal riffs with a doom metal tone and sound. This is clearly a band that benefitted from signing to all star record label Profound Lore, who seemed to give them an upgrade in the production department. The album is clean but still dirty, rough but still smooth. Hooded Menace achieved a very rare sound with Never Cross the Dead, and really will have a lot of trouble outdoing themselves with a follow up.

18. God is an Astronaut - Age of the Fifth Sun

Post-Rock is by far the genre that has grown on me the most this year. I delved into the blues and black metal a lot, but post-rock just rocked my world all year, and few bands are as responsible for that as God Is An Astronaut. Besides an incredibly entertaining name, these instrumental rockers have released four of the most beautiful and original albums in the genre's history. Then there's Age of the Fifth Sun. Straight from the beginning of Worlds in Collision, I knew this album wasn't going to be a progression from its predecessor, but it very well could be their best. No band in post-rock brings such a cool electronic sounding element in their music like God is an Astronaut and it makes for a fascinating record. The title track ebbs and flows in such a way that you can only tell where the music gets to its climactic peak by the shivers down your spine. I feel such a connection with this album, and it is really something special.

17. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini

For an album that I expected to be in my top five this year, I was disappointed by Axioma Ethica Odini. I was expecting a true evolution from Vertebrae in classic Enslaved fashion. What I got was a true evolution from Vertebrae in a more boring fashion. With that said, there are few bands with a sound more up my alley than new Enslaved. Because of that, this album could have been eighteen steps down from Vertebrae and still been a top 30 album. It was only one or two down and it made it into a criminally low 17. This album lacks a lot of the riffs and hooks that made Vertebrae so infectious, but maintains the atmosphere and aesthetic that its predecessor has. Tons and tons of clean vocals create a really spooky aura that I really like. The final track, Lightening is by far the best on the album, and it fuses the albums soaring clean vocals with a gritty black metal feel that truly sums up the album. Although a step down from its predecessor, a lot of bands wish they could make an album this good.

16. Slough Feg - The Animal Spirits

These guys can't suck. They just can't. 20 years after their inception and they are making albums better than they were in 1996. The Animal Spirits is a lot like the band's previous albums and really puts its previous albums Hardworlder and Ape Uprising to shame. I got a really great Eric Johnson vibe from some parts of The Animal Spirits, which took me by surprise. It wouldn't be a Slough Feg record without all of the throwback sounding riffs, also. Scalzi's unorthodox sounding vocals and catchy vocal melodies are as awesome sounding as ever, as the band rocks through eleven of the finest tracks the band has ever made. After listening to Slough Feg's discography, you have to start wondering if there will ever be a band more consistent than Slough Feg. The Animal Spirits is another feather in the cap for one of the coolest bands in metal.

15. Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

I stumbled upon Anathema not too long ago, completely unaware that they were a legendary doom metal act back in the day. I looked at their earlier work and though it was good, but what they are doing with their new material is incredible. The opening track is fairly representative of the entire album. A soothing clean electric track that will evolve into a heavier (still not heavy, heavy) riff that drives the chorus home. Upon closer examination, Anathema still exhibit a ton of their previous metal-ness. Thin Air has a ton of metal sounding drum parts and Summernight Horizon has a lighter metal aesthetic. A lot of this album reminds me of post-rock band Moonlit Sailor, because of their walking tempo soothing rock tunes. We're Here Because We're Here is an effort that makes the listener feel so relaxed and so in tune with their surroundings that it is the best non-metal album of the year.

14. Hellish Crossfire - Bloodrust Scythe

Jay recommended this album to me not too long after it came out, and usually I would have discarded it and told him that it was okay at best . However, that was not the case. Bloodrust Scythe is a blackened thrash album that contains all of the best elements of Possessed and early-Death while keeping the sound undeniably thrash based. Like a few thrash bands are doing these days, they put some nods to Accept, Priest and other early metal bands in the solos and riffs. They do a great job with some twin lead solos throughout the album, too. ...Of Slaying Grounds reminds me of Mutilation from Scream Bloody Gore smashed with Killing is my Business. Pretty simply, this is a band that combines some killer black thrash with a really in your face attitude that I like in an album. No discretion about it at all, Hellish Crossfire came to thrash and chew bubblegum. Bloodrust Scythe is where they run out of bubblegum.

13. Heathen - Evolution of Chaos

There was a time a few years ago where I would have slaughtered a cow in sacrifice for a new Heathen album. Although that feeling has waned, I was pretty damn excited when I was told it would come out. Now, this is one of those borderline 2009 releases, but fuck you, this is a 2010 release. I'm not going to make the claim that Heathen have created their best album with Evolution of Chaos, but they got close. Songs like Dying Season and Arrows of Agony should stand up tall with their older material as some of the finest they've written. David White's vocals are absolutely insane the whole way through, and demonstrates that he is one of the best thrash vocalists. This album was bumped up a few spots after I saw them live, which is where this new material really shines best. An album that will go underrated, but is brilliant.

12. The Ocean - Heliocentric

This album was probably my most anticipated coming into 2010. I was a huge fan of Precambrian, and thought Heliocentric would continue in the same mold. When I heard it was a concept album around Christianity, I was even more excited. I was expecting some of the heaviest shit this side of the Mississippi. But that's not what I got. What I got instead was an incredibly well thought out album that way out of left field as far as sound. The Ocean do just fine with the first two tracks of the album, not including Shamayim, but once Ptolemy Was Wrong kicks in, the album gets weird. Not bad, but just not entertaining. I sometimes struggle with the tracks four through six, because they just aren't entertaining. But, there's a reason why this album is this high. The answer is the combined 20 minutes of the last four tracks. These are the four of the finest tracks that The Ocean has ever done, with The Origin of Species/God being their best by far. These four tracks ebb and flow a way that they failed to get in the previous part of the album and failed to get in Anthropocentric. A great album that is only great because of the quality first three and last four tracks, and I know the Ocean can do better.

11. Deathspell Omega - Paracletus

There are few times where I think bands are doing something truly unique. Usually it's bands who try something a little bit new in the influences department or just improved on songwriting, but with Paracletus, Deathspell Omega have earned the right to be called unique. With the opening track, Epiklesis I, you have no clue what you are listening to. You think this is a black metal album, but it's not like any other you've heard. By the middle, Deathspell keep the strange feeling alive while making a more black metal sound prevail. Paracletus is another rare black metal album that does not shaft the bassist, and it is really welcomed. Some of the bass focused parts in Dearth and Phosphene contain things I've never heard in black metal before. This album blew my mind, and with some more exposure, it could have jumped into the top 10.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 PM

Three of my top ten in your 11-20 and another several that I loved. Safe to say that your tastes are probably closer to mine than anybody else on here. Continually solid reviews too dude, can't wait to see/read your top ten.

I will say that while #17 for Enslaved made it a disappointment for you, I had it around the same place and it was a big positive surprise for me. The likes of Ruun and Vertebrae never grabbed me nearly as much as Ethica did, I dunno why exactly (the creeping Opeth influence is my guess though )
Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Three of my top ten in your 11-20 and another several that I loved. Safe to say that your tastes are probably closer to mine than anybody else on here. Continually solid reviews too dude, can't wait to see/read your top ten.
I think we both know that we will have a few shared in the top 10 as well .

Quote:
I will say that while #17 for Enslaved made it a disappointment for you, I had it around the same place and it was a big positive surprise for me. The likes of Ruun and Vertebrae never grabbed me nearly as much as Ethica did, I dunno why exactly (the creeping Opeth influence is my guess though )
I have noticed the Opeth influence, but not a ton. My biggest problem with Axioma is that it just lacks the riffs that made Vertebrae so killer. Good to see Enslaved caught your interest, because they're really worth it.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I think people might be angry over where I put Heathen on my list.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I think people might be angry over where I put Heathen on my list.
So angry
Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 AM
things are more than just what you see

Nice reviews man, even if some of them aren't my style of music, I really enjoy reading your writing. Its very thoughtful and well put together. You can tell that you are very passionate about music.

9/21: Uproar Festival