Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 02-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Hey... it looks like the official boards are finally fixed...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Noga did spawn from there. 09 was the only year I went.

They still do to some degree, but it's completely suffocated by the bitching between members. I haven't been there in a while though, don't know how it is now.
Its like a Jersey shore episode overthere, (even though ive never seen jersey shore but I can imagine!) Very entertaining for me.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehemence View Post
Hey... it looks like the official boards are finally fixed...
they were fixed for a bit, i for the most part stopped posting on there also i mainly go between here and the unofficial boards anymore due to lack of intelect on the official boards besides a few people.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Headbanger

In Wine's defense he does put a lot of thought into his picks so I give him credit for that. he knows music I just think trying to be hip went to his head a little.

But, yeah if you're trying to tell metalheads who want crunching riffs, great guitar solos and some great sing-a-long driving music that Agalloch and Alcest were the 2 best cd's of 2010, you're gonna get shit.

I know people on here love those bands but your list comes off as Hipster to those people when you're trying to sell Shoegaze to people who want power chords.

I get Agalloch to a point but still think they're music doesn't fit the vocals most times. Alcest... no.

I recently heard Agalloch hasn't even sold 100 tickets to their Sonar show yet. Not a good sign...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
In Wine's defense he does put a lot of thought into his picks so I give him credit for that. he knows music I just think trying to be hip went to his head a little.

But, yeah if you're trying to tell metalheads who want crunching riffs, great guitar solos and some great sing-a-long driving music that Agalloch and Alcest were the 2 best cd's of 2010, you're gonna get shit.

I know people on here love those bands but your list comes off as Hipster to those people when you're trying to sell Shoegaze to people who want power chords.

I get Agalloch to a point but still think they're music doesn't fit the vocals most times. Alcest... no.

I recently heard Agalloch hasn't even sold 100 tickets to their Sonar show yet. Not a good sign...

I'm driving 8 hours to see them in Cleveland. I think the opposite. Their vocals always seem to match their music. With bands like Agalloch and Alcest, the vocals are more like a third instrument; it just contributes to the atmosphere and emotion of the sound. No power chord can capture that. But I don't think most metal listeners listen to music for the same reasons I do, hence why this kind of thing is equivocal.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post

BoOiIoOiIoOiING!!!! Can I MARRY YOU!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
I'm driving 8 hours to see them in Cleveland. I think the opposite. Their vocals always seem to match their music. With bands like Agalloch and Alcest, the vocals are more like a third instrument; it just contributes to the atmosphere and emotion of the sound. No power chord can capture that. But I don't think most metal listeners listen to music for the same reasons I do, hence why this kind of thing is equivocal.
Its hard for me to get into something unless I know the lyrics and like them, even Trivium I didnt like until I was reading there lyrics, and then watched there live performances, I always said they have nice guitar riffs but the vocals chased me off.... Same thing with Vektor, I didnt like until I read the lyrics and then seen the band, I need lyrics and some visual assurance.

Last edited by TehSuckUpPrince; 02-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehSuckUpPrince View Post
Its hard for me to get into something unless I know the lyrics and like them, even Trivium I didnt like until I was reading there lyrics, and then watched there live performances, I always said they have nice guitar riffs but the vocals chased me off.... Same thing with Vektor, I didnt like until I read the vocals and then seen the band, I need lyrics and some visual assurance.
This is why I say I listen to music for different reasons than most people. I haven't even looked up Vektor's lyrics, I just know I like their music. In most cases, I don't even view music and vocals as linked elements to a sound. It's only when we get vocals that actually act as an instrument that I'd say they're really "musical." I prefer instrumental music to music with vocals these days. Instrumental bands just seem to have their priorities straight.

Lyrics are a non-factor for me.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:50 PM
beware of the quiet one

Quote:
Their vocals always seem to match their music. With bands like Agalloch and Alcest, the vocals are more like a third instrument; it just contributes to the atmosphere and emotion of the sound. No power chord can capture that.
This. and I'll see you there, my friend.
12/27 - Clutch
12/28 - Clutch
Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM
N00B

Originally Posted by TehSuckUpPrince
Its hard for me to get into something unless I know the lyrics and like them, even Trivium I didnt like until I was reading there lyrics, and then watched there live performances, I always said they have nice guitar riffs but the vocals chased me off.... Same thing with Vektor, I didnt like until I read the vocals and then seen the band, I need lyrics and some visual assurance.

This is why I say I listen to music for different reasons than most people. I haven't even looked up Vektor's lyrics, I just know I like their music. In most cases, I don't even view music and vocals as linked elements to a sound. It's only when we get vocals that actually act as an instrument that I'd say they're really "musical." I prefer instrumental music to music with vocals these days. Instrumental bands just seem to have their priorities straight.

Lyrics are a non-factor for me.

i agree with the both of you.Its nice to know the lyrics because i like to be able to think of something in my head that i think would match the lyrics and go a little nuts headbanging to it,i also like insrtumentals cause its more chill and relaxingand its more lightly headbang.It really all depends on my mood.