Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I can't wait to see Blackguard, Powerglove, and Soilwork before SymX and Nevermore.

Might arrive fashionably extremely fucking late.
Y'know, usually I'd agree with you 100% here, but I say you go and see Powerglove. I can't stand this childhood nostalgia shit they thrive off of, but they were a ton of fun on Sunday.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
Same with Misery Index

As a grind fan I don't see why they are so regarded by metal sites. The drumming is good but other than that they generally have a "heard it before" feel. I actually didn't get to check out much grind this year but 010 by Jesus Crost was my favorite, need to check out some stuff I missed before the year ends.
There actually hasn't been that much good grind this year. I would urge you to check out the latest release from Nails, though. It's chaotic grind/hardcore with Swedish Death riffs. The whole album is 14 minutes. I just listened to it today, it's great. Maybe not as good as everyone says it is, but still enjoyable nonetheless.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRedWing13 View Post
Mutiny Within is definitely not underrated. Quite the opposite, actually.
I don't think I've seen Mutiny Within on 1 Top of 2010 list this year so I have no clue why you would say that. Maybe they're hyped on some prog/power boards but I don't go on those. I know I didn't see anyone on this site list them very high if at all.

They blew me away live and made many new fans who were there to see Death Angel or Soilwork. They hung out with the crowd taking pictures, doing shots and were selling their cd's for $5 at the show. That pretty much epitomizes what a cool opening act and up and coming band is. No ego trips or asshole attitudes. Just cool guys glad to be playing out and meeting people. If you heard differently, you probably heard wrong.
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 PM
We're dying on the inside

I am sure they're not hyped on prog and power boards.

EDIT: Seriously, I just listened again to see if I'm missing something, and nope, it's metalcore.

Last edited by DethMaiden; 12-15-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I am sure they're not hyped on prog and power boards.
Correct. Probably because Metal-Archives classifies them as Progressive Melodic Death Metal/Metalcore.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Correct. Probably because Metal-Archives classifies them as Progressive Melodic Death Metal/Metalcore.
Nice. I've now heard them described as 4 diffferent genres so I looked it up on wikipedia just to see and apparently you're all right.

As long as we can all agree they're underrated... hahaha
Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 PM
not the mama

I have on friend who is mainly into prog/tech stuff who likes them, his reason for liking them is "its generic metal done right". I just couldn't stand the vocals and the music is nothing special.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Unhealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
10) Mutiny Within - Mutiny Within - My favorite Power Metal cd of 2010. These guys are great live and the singer can belt with the best of them. Why they aren't bigger and listened to by the PM population on here if baffling to me.
I saw them open for Sonata and was bored stiff the entire time - but they were also horribly mismatched on that tour, and I fully believe you when you say they picked up more fans during their runs with Soilwork and Death Angel. They're just not my thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
6) Shining - Blackjazz - Pure genius that belongs in the overall Top 10 on here but won't get it. Could be #1 most underrated but enough people have heard it and given it it's proper due so it falls in at #6 on this list for me. A mortal lock for my Top 10 of 2010.
I like this, but idk, I just don't see it having much staying power! Some of the songs on that are catchy as hell, though. FISH-EYE FISH-EYE
Old 12-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Headbanger

Yeah I included MW mainly due to all the love Power & Prog are getting on lists this year. As talented as a band like Avantasia is I own both of their 2010 releases and they bore me after 15 min. I'd love to see them live but I never listen to their cd's. Not that I listen to MW often either but I enjoyed meeting them and saw at least 20 people buy their cd at the show that night. MW isn't great but with so many bands like them receiving accolades out the ass I still think they're underrated. Kinda like Myrath who is on the next list of 11-20. I haven't seen Myrath on 1 list this year and if I was a P/P guy I'd really dig them I think.

I totally agree on Fisheye. What a great, catchy song. I realize others are an acquired taste. Helter Skelter truly is Helter fucking sonically Skelter!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Unhealer

Myrath was pretty high on my list at the beginning of the year, but it's since been displaced - this has just been such a ridiculously good year for power/prog that discs that'd be top 5 any other year are being tossed under the bus. I think the one thing preventing me from putting it higher is that there are times when the Symphony X-worship is laid on a little too thick, particularly on "Madness".

I loved The Scarecrow, but the new Avantasia discs haven't done much for me apart from a few truly awesome songs... as much as I respect Tobias' "fuck you, I do what I want" attitude, I really don't see why he stretched it out over two discs, because there is just TOO MUCH FILLER. However, they were GREAT live - they played over 2.5 hours and hit pretty much every classic and/or epic song. It's a shame the States will probably never get them.