Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Buahahahahaha

Yob -- Berkeley, CA -- August 6th, 2011

Yob/Dark Castle/Dispirit/Worm Ouroboros at 924 Gilman St., Berkley, CA

So, I arrived at 924 Gilman Street. at about 6:20 with Lincoln, aka BrutalDescent. It was kind of chilly outside so we went to see if we could hang out inside and they let us. Just moments after walking into the venue I fell in love. It's like a smaller version of The Phoenix Theater http://www.thephoenixtheater.com/ . Me and Lincoln just chilled in there on the couches for a bit, watching Worm Ouroboros set up. We walked around for a bit and learned that if we helped out, we wouldn't have to pay for the show. But then we also learned that it'd interfere with watching the bands, so we decided against the volunteering. I don't mind paying to get into a venue as awesome as 924 Gilman. So we hung out for a bit more, and I heard Worm Ouroboros sound check on the epic Riverbed, which they would play later. Lincoln and I then decided to go out side and wait in line, only to find out we'd be first in line. That was aroud 7 PM. While in line, I saw a guy in a Sleep shirt, just like the one I was wearing, and we did that cool nod-to-the-guy-who-is-wearing-the-same-shirt-as-you thing. He then came up to us, and asked if we were from Metalsetlists, we told him we are, and then he told us he was Onioner and we talked for a wee bit then he went off with his buddies or something of that sort. At 7:30, they opened doors and we went in. We then went to the concession stand and bought "dinner". For me it was a danish and some water. I also bought some earplugs, since I forgot mine at home, and after hearing Worm Ouroboros sound check, I know it was going to get loud. Then we went to the stage and sat down. I then noticed that Matt Solis from Cormorant was attending the concert as well, and not to soon after that I saw Arthur. Arthur actually came up to me and said hi. We shook hands and he thanked me for writing about them online and stuff. That experience made me feel like Seņor Ryan of Wineville. Shortly after that, Worm Ouroboros started playing.

Worm Ourobors were a great way to start off the night. They lit candles around the stage and had christmas lights(the white ones, not red and green) around the stage and the mic stands. Worm Ouroboros set a really nice vibe for the night. It was dark and doomy, with their crunching riffs, yet at the same time their operatic vocals and shoegaze-y parts set a really sweet and innocent vibe around the place too. It was just kind of mystical and serene, yet at the same time it was dark. One thing that bothered me was that I couldn't really hear the vocals during the heavy parts, which would become the reocurring theme throughout the night. I definitely see why Agalloch chose them to open on their East Coast tour. Plus it helps that the drummer in Agalloch is in Worm Ouroboros too. After their set, Lincon and I talked to the bassist/vocalist and she informed us that they had a new album set to release in the Spring of 2012 but no word on a title.

Worm Ouroboros
Riverbed
Further Out (New Song)
Pearls

Next was Dispirit. I was quite excited to see them. I was really impressed with their set opening up for Agalloch and it left me wanting more. I especially wanted to hear the first song they played again, since it had this one riff that I will never forgot. So, they took a little bit to set up, which pumped everthing behind schedule, but whatever. The set up a large, red light and the smoke machine. Once they were done setting up, they killed all the light, but their large, red light. It set a really dark and creepy vibe. Then they started and the fog machine started spewing it's unholy smog. Only minutes into their set I could only see the front man through all the fog, and sometimes I could barely make him out and he looked like a shadow. Fucking grim. They delivered a great set, full of pulverizing blackened doom and had really clear sound. Yet again, I could barely hear the vocals.

Dispirit
Ixtab's Lure
The Drinker

After that was Dark Castle. To my surprise, they were just a two piece. I thought they only have two members, but I thought they might bring a bassist on the road. They were really heavy and just plain loud. Every time they finished a song, they had like, half a minute to a minute of this loud, really bass-y feedback go on, then they'd start the next. A lot of the riff they played we really heavy and crunchy and the drumming was really lively. This time around, I couldn't hear the vocals at all comming from the guitarist. I only knew she was singing because I was watching her scream into the mic. At the point, I was a little irritated with the venue's sound system. Also, I don't have a Dark Castle setlist, sorry guys.

Finally, Yob took the stage. The drummer from Dark Castle was also drumming for Yob, which was impressive. The two bands were also sharing a lot of the same gear. Trying to describe how awesome Yob's performance was in words is proving to be quite difficult, so I'll just say this; Yob put on the heaviest performance I've seen since I saw Sleep. I was just.... massive. The riffs just came at me like a huge wrecking ball. Also, this time I could actually hear the vocals Absolutely phenomonal performance. EDIT: I forgot to mention, YOB dedicated the last song to the legacy of Ludirca

YOB
Quantum Mystic
Prepare The Ground
Burning the Altar
Atma
Ball of Molten Lead
Grasping Air

After YOB finished, Lincoln got a signed stick from the drummer from Dark Castle and a hand written setlist from the YOB dude. We also saw Onioner again and we talked for bit. Then it was time to head back home.

Worm Ouroboros: 8.5/10
Dispirit: 9/10
Dark Castle: 8/10
Yob: 9/10
11/06 Intronaut

Last edited by slapguitarer; 08-07-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:17 PM
One who onions things

It was nice to meet you two, sorry if I was awkward at all, I'm not used to meeting dudes I know online haha. After we bought our tickets, my friends and I basically went nuts at Amoeba Records over on the other end of Berkeley. I even scored a vinyl copy of Catharsis!

The sound at Gilman is actually pretty damn good, but you ain't gonna hear anything but amps and drums at the front, so that's why I opted to hang in the back.

I thought Dark Castle were alright, they were a little too abrasive for my tastes. By the way, I was in the back and the sound was perfect with ear-plugs in.

YOB was completely monolithic, heavier than elephant balls. Ball of Molten Lead and Grasping Air were amazing, and Quantum Mystic was about as good an opener as it could be. I got to talk with Mike, Aaron and Rob and they were all extremely nice and happy to talk with the fans. They all signed my poster, and Mike and Aaron signed my CD. (Also, thanks to Lincoln/Brutal for hooking me up with that sharpie!).
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 08-07-2011, 05:59 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
So, I arrived at 924 Gilman Street. at about 6:20 with Lincoln, aka BrutalDescent.
Awwwww. Young Love!

But seriously sounds like a badass show. I was sad that this wasn't coming to Minnesota.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...

Lorraine and Jessica were incredibly when I met them on the Agalloch tour. I'm glad the new song has a name now too. It was a really good direction for them to go in I felt after the first record. I'd love to see Dispirit tour after they get the debut album done. How did The Drinker sound? I saw Yob and Dark Castle in Cleveland and they were both heavy as shit. Basically, if I could have swung the money I would have flown out for this show.
Pallbearer: 10/28
Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Sorry I couldn't make it you guys, but I've been drunk since Friday afternoon, so I'm alright.

Yob set is brutal and I am sad I didn't get to see Dark Castle again.

I only have one more show in San Francisco...
Old 08-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
Lorraine and Jessica were incredibly when I met them on the Agalloch tour. I'm glad the new song has a name now too. It was a really good direction for them to go in I felt after the first record. I'd love to see Dispirit tour after they get the debut album done. How did The Drinker sound? I saw Yob and Dark Castle in Cleveland and they were both heavy as shit. Basically, if I could have swung the money I would have flown out for this show.
The Drinker sounded great. It felt more dark and doomy, but still had the black metal elements.
11/06 Intronaut
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Sick show. YOB's Mike is a hella friendly guy. Glad I caught him around the venue so many times that day. Worm Ouroboros reminded me of Alcest a lot (a good thing), but their female vocals put me off a bit. Dispirit was fucking awesome, and I don't think I've ever heard a set that long with only two songs. Dark Castle was pretty fucking cool as well, and their drummer seemed to be having fun. Cool dude, signed a drumstick of his for me.

And like Seb says, YOB was the heaviest band ever.

Onioner, don't worry about it. It was cool meeting you
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 08-07-2011, 10:39 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
And like Seb says, YOB was the heaviest band ever.

Onioner, don't worry about it. It was cool meeting you
Clearly you haven't seen Sleep Hopefully we'll be at the same show again while you're still in the bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post

I only have one more show in San Francisco...
Get your ass to High On Fire in Santa Cruz this Friday.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 08-07-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Clearly you haven't seen Sleep Hopefully we'll be at the same show again while you're still in the bay.

Get your ass to High On Fire in Santa Cruz this Friday.
I know you're talking to Wine (I asked him as well) but I'd gladly go if I could get a ride. I actually won a ticket through their site, so if I can't make it, you can buy it from me.

I'm going to Eyehategod and Outside Lands, that's all.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM

Also, the drummer of Dark Castle was wearing a Loss t-shirt.

So many good shirts I saw on people... Bathory, Sleep, Limp Wrist, Mastodon, Brainoil, Down, and Impaled to name a few...
3/15 Gogol Bordello

Tags
dark castle, dispirit, worm ouroboros, yob