It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post

17.Vampire Weekend-Contra

Vampire Weekend is my indie douche rock band of choice. I find their sound to be really different and really enjoyable to listen to. Contra is a record that I didn't love at first, but on repeat listens it really stuck with me. Contra is catchy, artsy and great.
Standout Tracks
1.Cousins
2.Holiday
3.White Sky
It's weird. All my hipster friends loved this band when they first came out, and now HATE them with a passion. I think they're hella catchy.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I have to disagree with a lot of what you said. This album was a big disappointment to me. I wasn't expecting another Rareform, but this album has nearly lost all of their melodic sound, which is what made them stand out to begin with. The clean vocals ruin some of the songs and to me it feels like they're just trying to be Killswitch Engage now. That being said, there are a couple songs on the album I enjoy, but it's just nowhere near the quality of Rareform.
The clean vocals really didn't bother me too much. I perfer Rareform a bit over In Dreams, I do agree with you on the need for more progessive sections. That is a big reason that I got into them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
It's weird. All my hipster friends loved this band when they first came out, and now HATE them with a passion. I think they're hella catchy.
I completely agree, they are one of the catchiest bands around right now. Their music is a lot of fun to listen to. My indie-rock loving friends still love them actually, the band they flip-flopped on hard was Phoenix, who they now hate with a passion (Personally, I thought they always sucked, but maybe that's just me).

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

15.The Acacia Strain-Wormwood

I expect some shit for this pick. The Acacia Strain is a band that is just so far ahead of their peers in the deathcore genre, Wormwood is a prime example of that. This record is filled with crushing riffs and just flat out anger. The rage on is this record is raw and real. The tracks on the album compliment each other well, they are kinda similar yet different at the same time. Wormwood is the heaviest and best Acacia Strain record to date.
Standout Tracks
1.Jonestown
2.BTM FDR
3.Nightman

14.Finntroll-Nifelvind

Finntroll is the best folk metal band around. Nifelvind is a hell of a lot of fun and it's insanely catchy. At the same time, it's also heavy and blends black/death metal into their folk sound, this makes for a very interesting take on folk metal. Nifelvind is the most pure fun record of 2010.
Standout Tracks
1.Solsagan
2.Under Bergens Rot
3.Ett Norkensdad

13.Coheed and Cambria-Year Of The Black Rainbow

At first, I really wasn't that impressed with Year Of The Black Rainbow. I thought it was going to be their 2nd straight letdown (I liked No For Tommorow, but it did let me down quite a bit). Upon further listens, Year Of The Black Rainbow grew on me vastly. It takes Coheed's sound in a (slightly) different direction. It's their most melodic and diverse release to date. This is a great prog rock release and "Guns Of Summer" has become one of my new favorite Coheed tracks. Another wonderful release from Coheed and Cambria.
Standout Tracks
1.Guns Of Summer
2.When Skeletons Live
3.Here We Are Juggernaut

Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Altars of Radness

Woo Finntroll! I thought Nifelvind was great too, but I know a lot of people can't stand them.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

12.Unleashed-As Yggdrasil Trembles

As Yggdrasil Trembles is another excellent release from Unleashed. Their brand of viking death metal is always refreshing and bad-ass. Johnny Hedlund has one of the best death growls around, his vocals are completely vicious. As Yggdrasil Trembles is 13 tracks of remarkable death metal.
Standout Tracks
1.So It Begins
2.This Time We Fight
3.Return Fire

11.Volbeat-Beyond Hell/Above Heaven

Volbeat continues to impress me, I just find their sound so unique and interesting. I mean how many bands are a combination of Metallica,Elvis,Slayer, Johnny Cash and Pantera? Beyond Hell/Above Heaven is their heaviest and most melodic effort. The contrast in style is amazing with tracks like "Who They Are" which is lead by a riff which sounds like South Of Heaven-era Slayer or "16 Dollars" which is a country-rock song that works just as well. There is also some really impressive guest artists on here including Barney Greenway from Napalm Death and Milie Petrorozza of Kreator. I think this takes the cake for the most underrated record of 2010, it's a hell of a record.
Standout Tracks
1.Who They Are
2.7 Shots
3.Being 1

10.Son Of Aurelius-The Farthest Reaches

If you overlook the really awful cover (I understand the Greek mythology theme, but god damn you couldn't come up with a better cover), you will find some great progessive tech death. This band reminds a lot of The Faceless, who are one of my favorite bands. I slept on this record for a while, I wish I had listened to this sooner. A really impressive young band with a ton of potential.
Standout Tracks
1.Facing The Gorgon
2.Olympus Is Forgotten
3.Pandora's Burden

Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

9.Howl-Full Of Hell

There must be something in the water in Rhode Island, that's the only explaination for how there is so many sick fucking riffs on this record. Howl's debut full length is one of the most impressive debut records I have ever heard. Their brand of sludgey doom is refreshing,heavy and riffy as hell. Howl sounds like a band that has 4 or 5 albums under their belt, with this only being their debut, I can't even imagine what their future records will sound like. Howl is the next amazing best of a sludge band.
Standout Tracks
1.Gods In Broken Men
2.Jezebel
3.You Jackals Beware

8.Nas/Damain Marley-Distant Relatives

It ceases to amaze me how Nas is left out of just about every best rapper alive discussion. Unlike many of his peers in mainstream rap, he hasn't sold out and has made quality records throughout his career. Distant Relatives again shows why Nas is such a special artist. The beats are extremely creative with use of world music and unique instruments. Marley's presence adds a level of great depth, his reggage style complements Nas's rapping extremely well. I have a vast amount of respect for Nas, he is an excellent rapper that continues to challenge himself as an artist and rap with a purpose.
Standout Tracks
1.Land Of Promise
2.Count Your Blessings
3.Africa Must Wake Up

7.Landmine Marathon-Sovereign Descent

Landmine Marathon is a band that makes classic death metal in the modern age. They sound like the wretched spawn of Bolt Thrower and Carcass. Grace Perry brings such an intensity and energy to this record. She is a complete madwomen vocalist and her vocals are pure fucking evil. Soverign Descent is also chock full of great riffs and thunderous drumming. This takes the sound on Rusted Eyes Awake and takes it to the next level. Landmine Marathon is one of the most impressive and underrated death metal/grind bands on the scene right now.
Standout Tracks
1.Shadows Fed To Tyrants
2.Cruel Policy
3.Rise With The Tide

Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

6.The Sword-Warp Riders

The Sword had previous two records are both great, but Warp Riders takes it to the next level. Warp Riders is more of a straight rock n' roll record than their previous work, don't me wrong they still rock pretty fucking hard. There is a boatload of catchy riffs that are impossible to not head bang to ("Night City" wins my riff of the year award). Another big plus is the production. The production is much cleaner than it was on their two prior albums. Warp Riders is a modern take on 80's rock/metal that is a fresh take on a retro sound that just flat out destroys. The Sword's sound is equal parts early Sabbath,Kyuss,Thin Lizzy, and Mastodon. Warp Riders is one hell of a record.
Standout Tracks
1.Night City
2.The Warp Riders
3.Arrows In The Dark

5.Overkill-Ironbound

As soon as "The Green and Black" kicks in, I knew I was in for a ride. Overkill has been one of the most consistent bands in thrash and they fly under the radar, which is a damn shame. Ironbound is one of the most impressive releases in their storied career. Blitz's vocals sound just like they did on their classic records. He is one of the most underrated vocalists in all of metal. The riffs and solos are mighty impressive as well. Next to Megadeth's Endgame, Ironbound is the best thrash release by an 80's thrash band in the 2000's. Hands down, best Overkill record since Horrorscope. A thrash marvel from the most underrated band in thrash.
Standout Tracks
1.The Green and Black
2.Ironbound
3.The Goal Is Your Soul

4.IntrOnaut-Valley Of Smoke

Ever since I saw IntrOnaut open for Mastodon in May 2009, I have become a huge fan of their stuff. Valley Of Smoke is another amazing release from IntrOnaut. What makes this so impressive is how seemelessly they blend their heavy and progessive influences. The progessive sections are gorgeous, this is easily their most melodic effort to date, and it works to perfection.Their spectacular use of bass is another staggering element of this record, no band uses bass better than IntrOnaut. The clean vocals take a little bit of time to get used to, but they also work to perfection. IntrOnaut is one of the most inventive and unique bands in the scene right and Valley of Smoke is another gem of a release.
Standout Tracks
1.Elegy
2.Core Relations
3.Valley Of Smoke

Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Before I reveal my top 3 tommorow, here are some other accolades

Riff Of The Year
The Sword "Night City"

Top 5 Shows I Regret Missing In 2010
5.Darkest Hour/Veil Of Maya/Revocation:
4.The Black Dahlia Murder/Augury/Obscura
3.Megadeth/Slayer/Testament
2.NEMHF Day 1(Mastodon,BTBAM,Baroness,Doomriders,After The Burial,Howl, others)
1.Devildriver/Behemoth/Suffocation/Goatwhore

Most Underrated Records Of The Year
1.Landmine Marathon-Soverign Descent
2.Son Of Auerlius-The Farthest Reaches
3.Coheed and Cambria-Year Of The Black Rainbow

Most Overrated Records Of The Year
1.Fear Factory-Mechanize
2.Exodus-Exhibit B: The Human Condition

Pleasant Surprise Of The Year
Annotations Of An Autopsy- II: The Reign Of Darkness

Top 5 Bands I Discovered In 2010
1.Fleshgod Apocalypse
2.Howl
3.Son Of Auerlius
4.Black Breath
5.Touche Amore

Albums I Heard Bits and Pieces Of, but not enough to rank(* for the albums I plan to finish listening to in the near future)
Sick Of It All-Based on A True Story*
The Ocean-Heliocentric*
Stone Sour-Audio Secrecy
Heathen-Evolution Of Chaos
Oceano-Contagion(thanks to my gulliable ass for believing treghet)
Decrepit Birth-Polarity*
Chelsea Grin-Desolation Of Eden(I really wish my ears had been spared from this)
Kingdom Of Sorrow-Behind The Blackest Tears*
Periphery-Periphery*
Torche-Songs For Singles
Brain Drill-Quantum Catastrophe
Arcade Fire-The Suburbs*

Albums I didn't get the chance to check out that I plan to in the future
Watain-Lawless Darkness
The Red Shore-The Avarice Of Man
Conducting From The Grave-Revenants
Orbs-Asleep Next To Science
Cruel Hand-Lock and Key
Misery Index-Heirs To Thievery
The Damned Things-Ironiclast
Johnny Cash-American VI: Ain't No Grave
Triptykon-Eparistera Daimones
Trash Talk-Eyes and Nines
Barren Earth-Curse Of The Red River
The Absence-Enemy Unbound

Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Alright, lets finish this up. Here's my top 3. Thanks to everyone that read this thread

3.High On Fire-Snakes For The Divine

Matt Pike has done it again! High On Fire is one of the most consitently amazing bands in all of metal. All of their records are fucking killer and Snakes For The Divine is no exception. As usual, Matt Pike lays down spectacular riffs throughout this record. Snakes For The Divine is a complete onslaught of a record, High On Fire has struck gold yet again.
Standout Tracks
1.Fire, Flood and Plague
2.Ghost Neck
3.Frost Hammer

2.As I Lay Dying-The Powerless Rise

As I Lay Dying has been rising up the metalcore ladder for a while now. With The Powerless Rise, they have solidfied themselves as one of the genre's kings. This takes the faster,more complex sound heard on their previous record, An Ocean Between Us, and takes it to the next level. The tracks are thrashier, heavier and at times, more melodic. Nick Hipa and Phil Sgrosso do a masterful job on the guitars overall, the riffs and solos are top-notch. Tim Lambesis is the single best vocalist in the genre. He has an extremely powerful and great scream. The Powerless Rise is the new genre standard, As I Lay Dying has pretty much blown their peers of the water. The best and most important metalcore since Killswitch Engage's End Of Heartache.
Standout Tracks
1.Without Conclusion
2.The Plague
3.Anger and Apathy

1.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Option Paralysis

The Dillinger Escape Plan has always been I have admired and thorughly enjoyed due to their unique sound. All of their records have been fantastic, but Option Paralysis takes the cake, it's absolute genius. Dillinger's brand of genre-bending chaos is completely on display here. From the piano/jazz intro to "Widower" to the 2 minute spazz-outs such as "Endless Endings", Dillinger approachs each style with prescion and the songwriting on each track is different and excellent. Option Paralysis is a fucking experience and the ambition and creativity of The Dillinger Escape Plan never ceases to amaze me. Without a doubt, their best album and in my opinion, by the far the best album released in 2010.
Standout Tracks
1.Widower
2.Farewell, Mona Lisa
3.Room Full Of Eyes

Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
12.Unleashed-As Yggdrasil Trembles

As Yggdrasil Trembles is another excellent release from Unleashed. Their brand of viking death metal is always refreshing and bad-ass. Johnny Hedlund has one of the best death growls around, his vocals are completely vicious. As Yggdrasil Trembles is 13 tracks of remarkable death metal.
Standout Tracks
1.So It Begins
2.This Time We Fight
3.Return Fire

9.Howl-Full Of Hell

There must be something in the water in Rhode Island, that's the only explaination for how there is so many sick fucking riffs on this record. Howl's debut full length is one of the most impressive debut records I have ever heard. Their brand of sludgey doom is refreshing,heavy and riffy as hell. Howl sounds like a band that has 4 or 5 albums under their belt, with this only being their debut, I can't even imagine what their future records will sound like. Howl is the next amazing best of a sludge band.
Standout Tracks
1.Gods In Broken Men
2.Jezebel
3.You Jackals Beware

7.Landmine Marathon-Sovereign Descent

Landmine Marathon is a band that makes classic death metal in the modern age. They sound like the wretched spawn of Bolt Thrower and Carcass. Grace Perry brings such an intensity and energy to this record. She is a complete madwomen vocalist and her vocals are pure fucking evil. Soverign Descent is also chock full of great riffs and thunderous drumming. This takes the sound on Rusted Eyes Awake and takes it to the next level. Landmine Marathon is one of the most impressive and underrated death metal/grind bands on the scene right now.
Standout Tracks
1.Shadows Fed To Tyrants
2.Cruel Policy
3.Rise With The Tide

6.The Sword-Warp Riders

The Sword had previous two records are both great, but Warp Riders takes it to the next level. Warp Riders is more of a straight rock n' roll record than their previous work, don't me wrong they still rock pretty fucking hard. There is a boatload of catchy riffs that are impossible to not head bang to ("Night City" wins my riff of the year award). Another big plus is the production. The production is much cleaner than it was on their two prior albums. Warp Riders is a modern take on 80's rock/metal that is a fresh take on a retro sound that just flat out destroys. The Sword's sound is equal parts early Sabbath,Kyuss,Thin Lizzy, and Mastodon. Warp Riders is one hell of a record.
Standout Tracks
1.Night City
2.The Warp Riders
3.Arrows In The Dark

4.IntrOnaut-Valley Of Smoke

Ever since I saw IntrOnaut open for Mastodon in May 2009, I have become a huge fan of their stuff. Valley Of Smoke is another amazing release from IntrOnaut. What makes this so impressive is how seemelessly they blend their heavy and progessive influences. The progessive sections are gorgeous, this is easily their most melodic effort to date, and it works to perfection.Their spectacular use of bass is another staggering element of this record, no band uses bass better than IntrOnaut. The clean vocals take a little bit of time to get used to, but they also work to perfection. IntrOnaut is one of the most inventive and unique bands in the scene right and Valley of Smoke is another gem of a release.
Standout Tracks
1.Elegy
2.Core Relations
3.Valley Of Smoke

3.High On Fire-Snakes For The Divine

Matt Pike has done it again! High On Fire is one of the most consitently amazing bands in all of metal. All of their records are fucking killer and Snakes For The Divine is no exception. As usual, Matt Pike lays down spectacular riffs throughout this record. Snakes For The Divine is a complete onslaught of a record, High On Fire has struck gold yet again.
Standout Tracks
1.Fire, Flood and Plague
2.Ghost Neck
3.Frost Hammer
I gotta say, man - you had some shit in your lower ranks that was so horrendous (to me), that I just didn't even want to comment on it - because what would be the point, right? At the risk of sounding condescending, though - which is not at all my intention - you've really redeemed yourself here with a few of these in my eyes.

TL;DR - You can come back into the circle again, but please stay fairly close to the outer edge, and I'll be watching you.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 01-06-2011 at 12:34 PM.