Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

30.Whitechapel-A New Era Of Corruption

Whitechapel doesn't really reinvent the wheel on A New Era Of Corruption, they are still a deathcore band. That being said there are a few surprises here such as sections of piano, acoustic guitar and even some solos! It's still has a good amount of breakdowns and Phil Bozeman's trademark bark. Overall, it's a good release and an overall tighter record than "This Is Exile".
Standout Tracks
1.Single File To Dehumanization
2.Reprogrammed To Hate
3.Prayer Of Mockery

29.Parkway Drive-Deep Blue

Parkway Drive is consistently pretty good and Deep Blue continues that trend. Deep Blue has a solid amount of catchy riffs, nice solos and Winston McCall's chaotic vocals. Parkway Drive is still in the middle of the metalcore heap, they are a good, but not great band. If they advance their sound and stray a little from their roots, they could have an excellent record in their future.
Standout Tracks
1.Sleepwalker
2.Home Is For The Heartless
3.Deadweight

28.Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers-Mojo

Tom Petty is back on his game with Mojo. It's a very bluesy record and it's a nice touch to Petty's sound. This record would be higher, but the tracks the misfire, blow it hard. Tracks like "Lover's Touch" and "Don't Pull Me Over" are really,really bad. Thankfully, The tracks that are good here, are really damn good. "I Should Have Known It", "First Flash Of Freedom" and "The Trip To Pirates Cove" are some of Petty's best songs ever. Mojo is a fine record and I like Petty's take on the Blues.
Standout Tracks
1.I Should Have Known It
2.First Flash Of Freedom
3.The Trip To Pirates Cove

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

27.After The Burial-In Dreams

This was a pretty long wait for this record, Thankfully it's worth it. After The Burial's mix of groove, technical and progessive sections make them stand out from the pack. New vocalist Anthony Notramaso I think is a better fit for the band than their previous vocalist. I would this record pretty much on par with Rareform, After The Burial is a pretty impressive young band that I think will keep getting better over time.
Standout Tracks
1.My Fraility
2.Your Troubles Will Cease and Fourtune Smiles Upon You
3.To Carry You Away

26.Through The Eyes Of The Dead-Skepsis

Through The Eyes Of The Dead is a band that has been through a bunch of lineup changes. Despite all these changes, you wouldn't know it by listening to Skepsis. New vocalist Danny Rodriguez is a worthy replacement for Nate Johnson. Rodriguez's high pitched screams actually remind me of Trevor Strnad from Black Dahlia Murder. Through The Eyes Of The Dead makes another good record and they are absolutley more death metal than deathcore (there is still a core influence here for sure, it's just not that prominent).
Standout Tracks
1.Defaced Reality
2.Dementia
3.Perpeuital Defilement

25.Deftones-Diamond Eyes

I was pretty much a complete non-fan of Deftones prior to Diamond Eyes. I only gave this record a chance because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews I heard for it. I am so glad that I gave it a shot. Diamond Eyes is easily the heaviest Deftones record to date. They really got over their experimental, artsy stage and just wanted to make a heavy record, It was great choice for them heavy works a lot better for them. These songs are all also catchy as all hell, especially "You've Seen The Butcher". Diamond Eyes made me a fan of Deftones.
Standout Tracks
1.You've Seen The Butcher
2.Royal
3.Diamond Eyes

Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

24.Terror-Keepers Of The Faith

Keepers Of The Faith is the most accurate album title of the year, that's exactly what Terror does for the hardcore terror. Keepers Of The Faith is another great slab of hardcore from Terror. The riffs are fast and furious and the energy and passion of Scott Vogel is relentless. Terror is at the top of the modern hardcore heap and records like Keepers Of The Faith should make the founding fathers of hardcore proud.
Standout Tracks
1.Hell and Back
2.Your Enemies Are Mine
3.Shattered

23.All That Remains-For We Are Many...

I seemed to be in the minority, but I actually liked For We Are Many... quite a bit. It's a blend of the melodic sound of Overcome with the intensity of their first two records. Oli Hebert can still shred with the best of them and Phil Labonte shows off a vast vocal range including some pretty awesome death growls and high-pitched shrieks. Sure, "Hold On" sucks, but the rest of the record is pretty fucking good.
Standout Tracks
1.Aggresive Opposition
2.From The Outside
3.For We Are Many

22.Bison B.C-Dark Ages

Bison B.C is a band I heard a lot about prior to this year. I finally took the time to check them out and I am so glad that I did. Dark Ages is full of sludgey, thrashy goodness. The riffs are heavy,chunky,slick and memorable. I completely understand the Mastodon comparisons, I can hear in their sound for sure. They aren't quite on the level of Mastodon, but they still make some very good sludge metal.
Standout Tracks
1.Fear Cave
2.Melody, This Is For You
3.Stressed Elephant

Old 12-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

21.Eluveitie-Everything Remains As It Never Was

I started to get into Eluveitie at the beginning of this year. What I dig about their sound is they are one of the best bands at blending folk with other influences, in this case melodic death metal. Eluveitie is one of the finest folk metal acts around and Everything Remains As It Never was is another great entry to the Eluveitie catalogue.
Standout Tracks
1.Kingdom Come Undone
2.(Do)Minion
3.Nil

20.War Of Ages-Eternal

War Of Ages is a band to watch in the coming years. They really impressed me when I saw them back in July with As I Lay Dying, so I decided to check Eternal and I was pretty damn impressed. They are a metalcore band, but they a huge Sweedish melo-death and old-school hardcore influence that really makes them stand out from the pack. The whole record is packed with solid riffs, raw energy and great solos. "Collapse", the album's opener sets the tone for the whole record, heavy yet melodic, thrown in a awesome guitar solos and nice clean vocals. I can see War Of Ages blowing up in the next few years, and hopefully they do.
Standout Tracks
1.Collapse
2.Desire
3.My Resting Place

19.Veil Of Maya-(id)

Veil Of Maya has always impressed me because of how much they break the deathcore mold. They still have breakdowns, but they are actually well placed in the songs and not overused. Their use of progessive, trippy and technical guitarwork is quite impressive. This albums maintains a brisk pace, but it fills its 30 minute run time with great musicianship and curveballs in the songwriting. (id) is their most mature and best work to date, Veil Of Maya is a great up and coming band that continues to impress me.
Standout Tracks
1.Mowgli
2.Namaste
3.The Higler

Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 AM
We're dying on the inside

Nine straight bands I can't stand, I dunno if you can keep this momentum going breh.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

When I saw Veil of Maya live, the singer had a voice that you just knew was not the same as his old voice. It pissed me off the entire show. I mean, I didn't like the tunes they were playing, but if he just spoke normally, I wouldn't have hated them.

Excited to see the rest though, dude, it's good to see the metal world from a different perspective.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Well let's see If I can keep the streaking going Brad

18.Black Breath-Heavy Breathing

This is one hell of a debut record. Black Breath's across the board influences and heavy and flat out evil sound really impressed me. This record rocks hard and I really can't wait to see what these guys do later in their career.
Standout Tracks
1.Eat The Witch
2.Children Of The Horn
3.Black Sin(Spit On The Cross)

17.Vampire Weekend-Contra

Vampire Weekend is my indie douche rock band of choice. I find their sound to be really different and really enjoyable to listen to. Contra is a record that I didn't love at first, but on repeat listens it really stuck with me. Contra is catchy, artsy and great.
Standout Tracks
1.Cousins
2.Holiday
3.White Sky

16.Annotations Of An Autopsy-II:The Reign Of Darkness

This was a record that I wouldn't have expected to even listen to this year. Prior to this record, I despised Annotations Of An Autopsy. They played a bree bree poop-laden brand of deathcore that was pretty much unmatched in the shit department. I heard this album in my friend's car and I couldn't even believe it was the same band. Their sound took a complete 180. The Reign Of Darkness is a really good death metal record. It's really heavy and has some fantastic riffs on it, Hopefully this sound sticks with them II: The Reign Of Darkness is by far the pleasant surprise of 2010.
Standout Tracks
1.Impale The Sun
2.Catastrophic Hybridization
3.In Snake I Bathe

Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
27.After The Burial-In Dreams

This was a pretty long wait for this record, Thankfully it's worth it. After The Burial's mix of groove, technical and progessive sections make them stand out from the pack. New vocalist Anthony Notramaso I think is a better fit for the band than their previous vocalist. I would this record pretty much on par with Rareform, After The Burial is a pretty impressive young band that I think will keep getting better over time.
I have to disagree with a lot of what you said. This album was a big disappointment to me. I wasn't expecting another Rareform, but this album has nearly lost all of their melodic sound, which is what made them stand out to begin with. The clean vocals ruin some of the songs and to me it feels like they're just trying to be Killswitch Engage now. That being said, there are a couple songs on the album I enjoy, but it's just nowhere near the quality of Rareform.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Well let's see If I can keep the streaking going Brad
So close, Black Breath is rad.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:57 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
So close, Black Breath is rad.
yup that one seemed to come out of nowhere I love Heavy Breathing as well.