Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-18-2010, 07:16 AM
not the mama

I don't get why people were expecting so much from the new Kylesa considering they just pumped out an album last year.

I wasn't expecting as good of a record as Static Tensions. But I was expecting a straight forward release, with maybe an experimental take upon their sound. Besides some unnecessary mainstream feeling chorus lines, Spiral Shadow was exactly that. The only thing shitty about Kylesa is that they are practically THE hipster metal band now, I'm stating to miss the DIY feeling of the first 3 albums.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
I don't get why people were expecting so much from the new Kylesa considering they just pumped out an album last year.

I wasn't expecting as good of a record as Static Tensions. But I was expecting a straight forward release, with maybe an experimental take upon their sound. Besides some unnecessary mainstream feeling chorus lines, Spiral Shadow was exactly that. The only thing shitty about Kylesa is that they are practically THE hipster metal band now, I'm stating to miss the DIY feeling of the first 3 albums.
I'll be first to admit I was hoping for Static Tensions II and wrote Spiral Shadow off after 2 listens. I'm just glad SS wasn't my 1st taste of Kylesa because it's not a good representation of who they are. Other than Back and Forth the entire 2nd half of this came off as filler to me at 1st listen. That being said I think some of these songs would be much better live. Hopefully I get to find out.

Last edited by jhdeity; 12-18-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

42.A Day To Remember-What Separates Me From You

A Day To Remember is another one of my guilty pleasures. On What Separates Me From You, they take their music in a more punk direction. For whatever reason, this album didn't click with me as much as their past material. I like the direction they took with records, it's still pretty fun and the hardcore elements are still present, but there are some real duds on this record. I still thought it was a decent record and you can see the growth ADTR has made.
Standout Tracks
1.Sticks and Bricks
2.You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic
3.The House That Doubt Built

41.Demon Hunter-The World Is A Thorn

Demon Hunter's new effort is nothing revolutionary, but it's a solid piece of metalcore. What I like about Demon Hunter is the vocals. Ryan Clark's vocals really are the driving force behind the band. The World Is A Thorn is worth a listen for metalcore fans.
Standout Tracks
1.Collapsing
2.Fell Though As You Could
3.Descending Upon Us

40.Miss May I-Monument

Miss May I has blown up in 2010 and rightfully so, Monument is a nice stepping stone of a record. Monument is a record were I liked every song, the thing is that few are above decent. Don't get wrong, when Miss May I hits their stride on tracks like "Creations" and "Relentless Chaos", it shows what this band is really made of. Miss May I has a lot of potential and they are a young band. I really look forward to their next release, this a band that could join the elite tier of metalcore acts.
Standout Tracks
1.Creations
2.Relentless Chaos
3.Gears
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 AM
I realize that I spelled berzerker or berserker wrong. But. Oh well.

Although I like Monument, I don't think it touches MMI's first release, Apologies. I thought Apologies was overall a lot better of an album. Monument just sounded generic to me and I got over listening to it after a few days.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

39.Beneath The Sky-In Loving Memory

Beneath The Sky broke up briefly following their last record and I was surprised to find they got back together. This isn't as good as of a return as it should be. It stars off with all of its best tracks in a row. After hearing the first 3 tracks "Sorry I'm Lost", "Tears,Bones and Desire" and "Terror Starts At Home" I though I would love this record. The rest of the tracks are a steep decline after the excellent opners. Bottom Line, I still liked In Loving Memory, it just starts off really strong and loses momentum afterwards.

Standout Tracks
1.Tears,Bones, and Desire
2.Sorry I'm Lost
3.Terror Starts At Home

38.Arsis-Starve For The Devil

Starve For The Devil was another record that really let me down. It's far from bad, it's just not up to the quailty of Arsis's other records. A big reason for that is the parody theme running through some of the tracks. I get that "Forced To Rock" and "Half Past Corpse O'Clock" are joke songs, they just aren't good songs. That being said there are still some killer tracks on here and James Malone's furious fretwork is still on display. A letdown, but still a pretty decent release.
Standout Tracks
1.A March For The Sick
2.Sable Rising
3.Beyond Forlon

37.Nachtmystium-Addicts: Black Meddle Part 2

Nachtmystium is band that is beyond ambitious, they actually might be too ambitious. Their sound is completely hit or miss, when it hits on tracks like album standout "Nightfall", Nachtmystium shows off their mad genius. On misfires such as "Then Fires", which is a mess of a song, it shows off Nachtmystium's flaws with their trippy,strange black metal sound. Addicts shows moments of brilliance, but it's lack of coheison hurts it in the end.
Standout Tracks
1.Nightfall
2.No Funeral
3.Ruined Life Continum
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

36.Abigail Williams-In The Absence Of Light

Abigail Williams makes some nice changes on In The Absence Of Light. They drop the symphonic elements and go for a more straight-forward black metal sound. A lot better written than their past work and there are some pretty sick riffs this time around. Still a few issues with production and a couple of tedious tracks, but Abilgail Williams is a band on the rise.
Standout Tracks
1.In Death Comes Great Silence
2.Final Destiny Of The Gods
3.An Echo In Our Legends

35.Korn-Korn III: Remember Who You Are

The album title is somewhat accurate, Korn does remember who they are... sort of. After their past 2 unholy awful records, Korn III is a refreshing record from them. At times, this record really captures the old Korn sound especially on album standouts like "The Past" and "Lead The Parade". That being said, this still isn't a great record. There is still some absolute dog shit tracks on this record. Korn III is a step in the right direction for Korn and hopefully their next release will continue this trend.
Standout Tracks
1.The Past
2.Lead The Parade
3.Never Around

34.Cephalic Carnage-Misled By Certainty

Cephalic Carnage has always stood out to me as one of the best deathgrind bands around. Misled By Certainty might not be their finest work, but it still gets the job done. As usual, the 30 second grind spazouts are awesome. These tracks are absolute chaos and Cephalic Carnage is great at making them. Where is this album looses a bit of steam is with over-ambitious tracks such as "When I Arrive" and "Repangea", I don't really the experimentation on these tracks. Overall, another hyper-active, weed-filled good record from Cephalic Carnage.
Standout Tracks
1.Pure Horses
2.The Incorrigible Flame
3.Warbots A.M
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

Old 12-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post

35.Korn-Korn III: Remember Who You Are

The album title is somewhat accurate, Korn does remember who they are... sort of. After their past 2 unholy awful records, Korn III is a refreshing record from them. At times, this record really captures the old Korn sound especially on album standouts like "The Past" and "Lead The Parade". That being said, this still isn't a great record. There is still some absolute dog shit tracks on this record. Korn III is a step in the right direction for Korn and hopefully their next release will continue this trend.
Standout Tracks
1.The Past
2.Lead The Parade
3.Never Around
You have this ranked higher than Nachtmystium, Arsis, Kylesa and Black Tusk?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Bitch, shut up and blast beat my meat like a Pete Sandoval with titties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
36.Abigail Williams-In The Absence Of Light

Abigail Williams makes some nice changes on In The Absence Of Light. They drop the symphonic elements and go for a more straight-forward black metal sound. A lot better written than their past work and there are some pretty sick riffs this time around. Still a few issues with production and a couple of tedious tracks, but Abilgail Williams is a band on the rise.
Standout Tracks
1.In Death Comes Great Silence
2.Final Destiny Of The Gods
3.An Echo In Our Legends
i was somewhat disappointed with this album, i very much liked the symphonic sound they had on their first full-length album
Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Headbanger

make that a triple facepalm for fear factory.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

33.Dark Tranquillity-We Are The Void

We Are The Void has been one of the most debated albums of the year. Some say it's amazing, some say it's god awful, I share neither of these thoughts. I thought We Are The Void was a pretty good record. It's no Character, Fiction, or The Gallery, but it gets the job done.
Standout Tracks
1.In My Absence
2.Dream Oblivion
3.The Fatalist

32.Cancer Bats-Bears,Mayors, Scraps and Bones

The thing I most enjoyed about Bears,Mayors, Scraps and Bones is their frantic brand of hardcore is really heavy on southern metal riffs. There are a lot of amazing riffs on this record. Why this record is not postioned higher is because after I saw them live in July, I lost a bit of respect for them. Their live show is pretty damn bad and it made me enjoy their music les. I still like this record, just not quite as much as I did when I first heard it.
Standout Tracks
1.Snake Mountain
2.Sleep This Away
3.Trust No One

31.GWAR-Bloody Pit Of Horror

GWAR is back! I was kind of surprised to see them make anothe record so soon after releasing Lust In Space last year. Thakfully, Bloody Pit Of Horror was not rushed and it's the best and thrashiest GWAR record in a while. Bloody Pit Of Horror is GWAR at their usual, tongue in cheek best especially on tracks like "A Gathering Of Ghouls" and "Hail, Genocide!. Listening to this record reminds yet again how desperately I want to see GWAR live. Hopefully in 2011 I will get that to see them (finally).
Standout Tracks
1.A Gathering Of Ghouls
2.Hail, Genocide!
3.Beat You To Death
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head