Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Old 12-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

That's the only release from Sodom I have but it's a great album.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
POSITION # : 84

Track Listing

1. Among The Weirdkong
2. I Am The War
3. Napalm In The Morning
4. Minejumper
5. Genocide
6. Little Boy
7. M-16
8. Lead Injection
9. Cannon Fodder
10. Marines
11. Surfin’ Bird

A pure fucking thrash fest from start to finish always scratch me right where I itch, This one is a masterpiece of the genre imho. With this insane voice that complement perfectly the music. I wish I could see them once in my life in concert. Great album that I loved right from the first listen. And they finish the carnage with Surfin' Bird hahaha... love it !!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
If you were to divide Sodom's career into halves, M-16 would far and away be the best of their 2nd half.
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

I only have 2 other studio albums (Persecution Mania and Agent Orange) from them, but M-16 is my favourite

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 PM

POSITION # : 83

Track Listing

1. Mouth For War
2. A New Level
3. Walk
4. Fucking Hostile
5. This Love
6. Rise
7. No Good (Attack The Radical)
8. Live In A Hole
9. Regular People (Conceit)
10. By Demons Be Driven
11. Hollow

I got this not long after it came out , I've heard Walk in a bar and I was so fucking crazy about the song I needed to get the album. I immediatetly freaked out on the heavyness of the guitar, also his fucking solo's were mindblowing (R.I.P. Dime). It was a sound never heard before from me. I have to admit though, at first, Phil's vocals were a bit too growly for my taste hehehe. In fact that band and that album helped me a lot to appreciate growling vocals and more extreme music. A pure classic album

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

This isn't so much as a slam against you as much as it is the last straw of a series of annoyances.

Walk is the least Vulgar and least powerful and least displayable song on that album.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
This isn't so much as a slam against you as much as it is the last straw of a series of annoyances.

Walk is the least Vulgar and least powerful and least displayable song on that album.

I never said that Walk was the more powerful song of the album, I agree with you on that.I said that I came in contact with Pantera through hearing that song in a bar.

But what exactly does annoy you so much, this I didn't get ?

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
POSITION # : 83

Track Listing

1. Mouth For War
2. A New Level
3. Walk
4. Fucking Hostile
5. This Love
6. Rise
7. No Good (Attack The Radical)
8. Live In A Hole
9. Regular People (Conceit)
10. By Demons Be Driven
11. Hollow

I got this not long after it came out , I've heard Walk in a bar and I was so fucking crazy about the song I needed to get the album. I immediatetly freaked out on the heavyness of the guitar, also his fucking solo's were mindblowing (R.I.P. Dime). It was a sound never heard before from me. I have to admit though, at first, Phil's vocals were a bit too growly for my taste hehehe. In fact that band and that album helped me a lot to appreciate growling vocals and more extreme music. A pure classic album

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
This would be #1 for me. If anyone is to blame for the asshole I am today it's this album. hahaha
Old 12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
But what exactly does annoy you so much, this I didn't get ?
Eariler yesterday I had been in a mall reading a book by Joel McIver called "100 Greatest Metal Guitarists." Each guitarist had their rundown and in said rundown was a "moment of genius." Now mind you some of these were pretty spot on, like Max Cavalera's being Slaves of Pain or KK Downing's being his Painkiller solo. Dimebag's "moment of genius?" and I quote. "The Walk riff is deceptively simple, try playing it in time with the beat, it's harder than you think." Eat shit McIver. So yea, after reading that, I guess finding out you got into this album through that song was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I remember back in 2000 when I first heard VDOP, even then I thought Walk was the "breather" track. I mean I didn't think it was bad, but sometimes I would skip it to get to Fucking Hostile. I sometimes wonder if Pantera knew that if they put Mouth for War, A New Level, and Fucking Hostile back to back they would have come under fire from complaining parents and civil servants about waves of kids destroying property and furniture in all the major cities, because that 1-2-3 punch would have been absolutely deadly. Instead the mosh party is brought to a screeching halt by this half finished riff that sounds like its being silence bleeped because someone was cursing over it.

Dun du du du dun Fuck! du du du dun Fuck! du du du dun Fuck! du du du dun Fuck! du du du dun Fuck!

Even the drum beat is lightweight, with Vinnie nonchalantly doing a meek 2 hi hat count. And for that matter, what the fuck does the chorus even mean? Respect Walk? They should have just called it Respect but apparently confusing yourself with an Arethra Franklin song is unmetal. Then shouting "what did you say" as if hearing someone call you a faggot under his breath?

The one thing that saves the song from being the worst song on the album (other than sharing an album with the forgettable Live In A Hole) is the solo, which I will admit is one of Dime's better moments as a lead player. If McIver had mentioned that as Dimebag's "moment of genius" my reaction still would have been disappointement, but I also would have said "at least he didn't mention that boring ass riff."

Walk is easily one of Pantera's worst songs. I would take 95% of their catalogue over it. Anyone who claims this as their personal favorite needs to have their throat slit.

Addendum: (Wow, now I know how Brad feels about Run To The Hills )

Last edited by JRA; 12-30-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Eariler yesterday I had been in a mall reading a book by Joel McIver called "100 Greatest Metal Guitarists." Each guitarist had their rundown and in said rundown was a "moment of genius." Now mind you some of these were pretty spot on, like Max Cavalera's being Slaves of Pain or KK Downing's being his Painkiller solo. Dimebag's "moment of genius?" and I quote. "The Walk riff is deceptively simple, try playing it in time with the beat, it's harder than you think." Eat shit McIver. So yea, after reading that, I guess finding out you got into this album through that song was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I remember back in 2000 when I first heard VDOP, even then I thought Walk was the "breather" track. I mean I didn't think it was bad, but sometimes I would skip it to get to Fucking Hostile. I sometimes wonder if Pantera knew that if they put Mouth for War, A New Level, and Fucking Hostile back to back they would have come under fire from complaining parents and civil servants about waves of kids destroying property and furniture in all the major cities, because that 1-2-3 punch would have been absolutely deadly. Instead the mosh party is brought to a screeching halt by this half finished riff that sounds like its being silence bleeped because someone was cursing over it.

Dun du du du dun Fuck! du du du dun Fuck! du du du dun Fuck! du du du dun Fuck! du du du dun Fuck!

Even the drum beat is lightweight, with Vinnie nonchalantly doing a meek 2 hi hat count. And for that matter, what the fuck does the chorus even mean? Respect Walk? They should have just called it Respect but apparently confusing yourself with an Arethra Franklin song is unmetal. Then shouting "what did you say" as if hearing someone call you a faggot under his breath?

The one thing that saves the song from being the worst song on the album (other than sharing an album with the forgettable Live In A Hole) is the solo, which I will admit is one of Dime's better moments as a lead player. If McIver had mentioned that as Dimebag's "moment of genius" my reaction still would have been disappointement, but I also would have said "at least he didn't mention that boring ass riff."

Walk is easily one of Pantera's worst songs. I would take 95% of their catalogue over it. Anyone who claims this as their personal favorite needs to have their throat slit.

Addendum: (Wow, now I know how Brad feels about Run To The Hills )
A) That riff is a moment of genious becuase of how simple it is. It gave that song an identity, and its now two notes that get a crowd going ballistic in almost any possible live setting.

B) You clearly don't understand the lyricaly meaning of the song if you are questiong the chorus lines.

C) Live In A Hole is actually a personal favorite of mine from that album, its so dark, and the lyrics have a personal meaning to me regarding a dear friend of mine.

D) Its at least in the top thrirty of PanterA's major label songs. I would rate it higher than almost all of Reinventing the steel.

/rant
Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
A) That riff is a moment of genious becuase of how simple it is. It gave that song an identity, and its now two notes that get a crowd going ballistic in almost any possible live setting.

B) You clearly don't understand the lyricaly meaning of the song if you are questiong the chorus lines.

C) Live In A Hole is actually a personal favorite of mine from that album, its so dark, and the lyrics have a personal meaning to me regarding a dear friend of mine.

D) Its at least in the top thrirty of PanterA's major label songs. I would rate it higher than almost all of Reinventing the steel.

/rant
1) Give the song an identity? All riffs give songs their identity. What kind of stupid statement is that?

2) The song is about respect for your fellow man and not talking about people behind their backs. "Walk on home boy" is really an afterthought.

4) I will take any song off of RIS over Walk except WGTAFALT, and Yesterday Don't Mean Shit as well as I'll Cast a Shadow are both practically top 10 Pantera.