Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014
HIM -- Silver Spring, MD -- December 12th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I disagree a ton with this however. I got into Anathema after their metal days, and now may be one of my favorite non-metal acts. An album that exhibits such serenity and calmness is rare. I could easily understand that if you got into them a while ago this album could be a disappointment, but I think this album is quite excellent.
I'm with you here. That album is one of the best they've put out ever, IMO. I do think it is a 'mood' album, but when the mood is right it's pretty much perfect. Easily going to make my top 5 when I finally get around to working on my list.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:45 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I'm with you here. That album is one of the best they've put out ever, IMO. I do think it is a 'mood' album, but when the mood is right it's pretty much perfect. Easily going to make my top 5 when I finally get around to working on my list.
I feel asleep with it playing last night. I'm starting to appreciate it a bit more.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:12 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
76.) Elvenking- Red Silent Tides

Power Folk Metal at it's best. Elvenking was one of the first Folk Metal bands that I ever got into. they have always impressed me a lot. Even if their music is a bit cheesier due to the Power Metal elements. Red Silent Tides is a lot more of the same that I expect from Elvenking. I'm ok with that. It's right on par with the rest of their discography. It would be cool to see them venture off into new Territory, but then again, This album is pretty damn rockin'. Check this one out if you dig Power Metal with Folk elements.

7/10
There's really very little that is Folky about Elvenking anymore. Bits and pieces, but not really. What this album IS, is poppy as hell, but it's awesome. Not top 10 material IMO but still a really good album.

I have to disagree that it's on par with the rest of their discography, though, because the newer direction that they've been taking on The Scythe/Red Silent Tides has so little in common with Heathenreel.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
There's really very little that is Folky about Elvenking anymore. Bits and pieces, but not really. What this album IS, is poppy as hell, but it's awesome. Not top 10 material IMO but still a really good album.

I have to disagree that it's on par with the rest of their discography, though, because the newer direction that they've been taking on The Scythe/Red Silent Tides has so little in common with Heathenreel.
That is true, but I still really dig them. It's a big change for sure, but this is one of those rare occurrences where a poppier change isn't necessarily a bad thing. Elvenking was one of my first Folk Metal bands I got into, so I'll always have a thing for them.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
That is true, but I still really dig them. It's a big change for sure, but this is one of those rare occurrences where a poppier change isn't necessarily a bad thing. Elvenking was one of my first Folk Metal bands I got into, so I'll always have a thing for them.
Oh, definitely, same here. I love the new stuff, and this album is fun as hell.

They sure as hell did a better job at an acoustic album than another Folk Metal band that more people are familiar with (Eluveitie, I'm looking at you!)
Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
Oh, definitely, same here. I love the new stuff, and this album is fun as hell.

They sure as hell did a better job at an acoustic album than another Folk Metal band that more people are familiar with (Eluveitie, I'm looking at you!)
Yeah, sadly, I have to agree with that.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I can't stop thinking big

I second Wine's sentiments on Anathema. That album is probably my non-metal album of the year and is right in my top 10.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:18 PM
That Guy

I've been listening to Anathema a bit more lately and I am starting to get it it. Slowly but surely.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:10 PM
That Guy

I did get a few more album in the last few days so I may or may not be adding them to this list.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 PM
That Guy

Part 9. The Reawakening. The rest of my albums and EPs.

112.) Minus The Bear- OMNI

I have always been more of a Botch fan then Minus The Bear fan. For some reason They never caught my attention much, no matter how much I wanted them to be. but OMNI is starting to change that. Long gone are the days of Botch, but OMNI what I've been hoping for. It's still Indie Rock, but for some reason captures me more. I guess they I can describe it is more Rock influenced instead of the Electronica that I've noticed with their previous albums. There is still plenty of Electronica, but this is more of a better balance. I'll still keep hoping for a Botch reunion, but OMNI is a great album to hold me over till that time.

7/10

113.) Shaolin Death Squad- Five Deadly Venoms

The more Metal version of Mr. Bungle. This is another album that is great in small doses. After a while it does make me want to check something else, but when I listen to a track or two at a time, it is a great listen. If you dig your Metal of the Oriental Avant Garde style. This is an album to check out.

5/10

114.) Bent Sinister- Spring Romance

Another great Alternative rock band that put out a great EP. These guys are still in the underground, but deserve to be known. The EP is filled with Classic Pop and Radio rock hits. All 5 songs are catchy as hell. If you are longing for a newer band bringing back classic Pop Rock, these guys are it. Check out this EP!

7/10

115.) Enditol- Enditol

Another one of my random discoveries out of the blue. These guys are a Progressive Metal Band that really captures a lot of great styles like BTBAM. Some songs remind me if Meshuggah made Ragtime music. It has that Djent sound to it *Didn't it used to be called Math Metal?* But amongst the Djent it spills over with all the great time signature and style changes. While they aren't the best band pulling this idea off. Their S/T album is a great album to listen to when you're in the mood for it. I can see them getting bigger with their next album.

7/10

116.) Allegaeon- Fragments Of Form And Function

Another great Technical Metal band just getting their foot in the door in 2010. Although I can see many people calling this Cookie Cutter Technical Death Metal. In a way it is, but in others, it's not. There's something about Allegaeon that captures me. It has top Notch musicianship and great riffs and hooks throughout. I do expect their next album to really showcase who they are. Fragments Of Form And Function is not a bad start.

7/10

117.) Canvas Solaris- Irradiance

I've read reviews from everywhere about how people are disappointed in this album. I guess I can see why. since Canvas Solaris put out their last release, Scale The Summit became huge in the Instrumental Progressive Metal scene while they are still in the underground. Irradiance to me is a great, and will be underrated, album. While there is not much change from their sound. I can see how some people would not dig this album as much. But to me, It's what I love to hear. Great instrumental tracks that make me want to listen all the way through. Check these guys out if you haven't already!

8/10

118.) Gloria Morti- Anthems of Annihilation

A very impressive Metal band. Growls of Opeth, Screams of Emperor, over a Symphonic Technical Metal soundscape. This really is a Tech Metal album done right. Throughout it never gets boring over rehashed. It does amaze me these guys aren't bigger then they are. I hope the next album will take care of that. Please check these guys out. It will be well worth your time.

8/10

119.) Fear Factory- Mechanize

This album is filled with some great hooks and great songs, but it still doesn't feel right. There are classic FF songs throughout and having Dino back with FF and also having one of my biggest *no pun intended* drum heroes, Gene Hoglan playing, something just doesn't feel right to me. I like it, but it's hollow. It might have to do with all the controversy going on earlier this year between both sides attached to FF. Maybe later I will truly appreciate this album, but until then I enjoy listening to it, but at the same time, I know it could have been so much more fulfilling.

6/10

120.) The Absence- Enemy Unbound

This album is full of the 00s Melodic Death Metal riffs with a heavy Arch Enemy vocal style, although it is a guy's voice. For fans of the Metalcore ear that was attached to the 00's, you'll dig this album a lot. I dare say it's better then most of the bands and albums that came out of that time. But at the same time. like that era, it does feel kinda cookie cutter. It is worth checking out none the less.

6/10

121.) Misery Index- Heirs To Thievery

Pretty damn brutal Death metal with a mix of Grindcore. A short Death metal album, but long Grindcore album at 34 minutes. This is filled with Brutality from start to finish. A great album to release some agression to. Like almost all bands of this genre. It does get samey after a while, but it is short enough to where that does not matter much. Damn good album!

8/10

122.) Lehto & Wright- Children's Songs

My 3rd favorite non-Metal/Hard Rock album of the year. While only 4 songs *the title track being 32 minutes, the shortest being 3:17* they are a great Folk inspired Progressive Rock band from the Twin Cities. Children's Songs is a great album that is easy to listen to, but very fun at the same time. All 4 songs are catchy and will make you want to listen over and over again. Please check these guys out. It is so worth it.

9/10

123.) Dax Riggs- Say Goodnight To The World

Every album Dax Riggs has been apart of has been hauntingly awesome. This album is no exception. It's across the board from Acoustic tracks to dark rockin' songs, to moody slow songs. Overall it is very Dax Riggs. I really do wish that Acid Bath could come back even for just a reunion tour. but Riggs refuses to play Metal anymore. His solo material is very hit or miss. You either you get it or you don't. This is one time I can say that I do get it, as dark as it really is.

8/10

124.) Cloud Cult- Sound Chasers

When you say Cloud Cult to the average music listener, they will say "Weren't they in that car insurance commercial?" I was the same way until this week when I finally gave Sound Chasers the time of day. And I'm glad I did. I've always known about them since they are also from the Twin Cities. But I guess I did blow them off as being that kind of sell out band. Boy I was so wrong. Cloud Cult is the definition of Art Rock in the new millennium. Every song grabs you and makes you want to hear more. Now I gotta do my part and check out their previous albums.

9/10

125.) In Mourning- Monolith

A very refreshing Progressive Metal band. You can hear traces of Opeth in these guys but for once, it doesn't sound like a ripoff. Almost all the songs are in the 6-8 minute range except for the 13 minute closer. While it does have the Progressive Death Metal sound. It does include the occasional Doom Metal vibe and even very catchy, almost poppy, hooks, With You Came Silence is one of the best examples. These guys are a band to look out for. It's really cool stuff.

7/10

126.) The Damned Things- Ironiclast

Easily the most fun Hard Rock album to come out in a decade. I was very skeptical at first I mean All Out Boy, Anthrax and Every Time I Die collaboration. I really thought they'd just be doing what they could to make 3 chord songs to sell to top 40 radio. I was dead wrong! Every song is simply badass. and I will say that this album will make my top 20. I rarely say that about a Hard Rock album with pop hooks. But this is way too damn good to ignore. Seriously check this one out!

9/10

127.) Adebisi Shank- This Is The Second Album Of A Band Called Adebisi Shank

This album confuses me in a good way. It contains some things I don't like, but a lot of what I do. And it meshes really good together. In a way it's the Irish version of a more Metal and Electronic inspired Faith No More. If you have some free time this is worth checking out. It's very different but very cool stuff.

7/10

128.) Exodus- Exhibit B: The Human Condition

I will go ahead and say it, I'm not a huge fan of Exodus. I do love a lot of Exodus songs, but there are so many other Thrash bands out there, that Exodus always gets thrown to the way side when I check them out. Exhibit B is a great album and I will say I totally dig the new Exodus more then the old Exodus *haters gonna hate*, but this is a good step for these guys. But still, there is better thrash out there.

6/10

129.) Rad Sparrows- The Fear Is Excruciating, But Therein Lies The Answer

One of the best Post Rock/Metal bands around. This album showcases that once again. While this album doesn't have anything groundbreaking *It is post rock, you either gotta love it or hate it. It's rare to find something new about it* It has what I love about Post Rock without being boring like other bands in the genre manage to do over and over again. This is one of the best albums of the year in Post Rock, give this one a chance and have a great time digging it.

8/10

130.) God Is an Astronaut- Age Of The Fifth Sun

How did I forget about these guys this year? GIAA has always been one of my favorite Electronic inspired Post Rock band for obvious reasons *Just listen to them* Age Of The Fifth Sun is nothing short but incredible. Heavy when they want to be, Mellow when they feel like it, and everything in between GIAA pulls it off again. Check this one out!

8/10

Ok, so this is officially it, unless I somehow get more then 5 album that I don't have already by the end of the year. Thanks again for checking this thread out. And I hope you make some great discoveries.