Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-06-2010, 02:41 PM
That Guy

Blackjazz is an amazing album. Totally changed my outlook of the year.

Part 7 will be up tonight.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:48 PM
That Guy

Part 7, I'm on a roll and will finish everything off in this last part:

76.) Elvenking- Red Silent Tides

Power Folk Metal at it's best. Elvenking was one of the first Folk Metal bands that I ever got into. they have always impressed me a lot. Even if their music is a bit cheesier due to the Power Metal elements. Red Silent Tides is a lot more of the same that I expect from Elvenking. I'm ok with that. It's right on par with the rest of their discography. It would be cool to see them venture off into new Territory, but then again, This album is pretty damn rockin'. Check this one out if you dig Power Metal with Folk elements.

7/10

77.) 1349- Demonior

The year of the black plague is at it again. One of the few Black metal bands that I really dig. 1349 has always that that style of Black Metal that isn't the stereotypical constant blast beats over an orchestra. They keep Demonior true to the dark lord. Evil, Thrashy, and Black Metal. While not the standout Black album of the year *that still goes to Watain, despite what dongs they are.* This is one of the best of the year. I would love to see them live some day.

7/10

78.) Iron Maiden- The Final Frontier

A lot of people are not sure what to think of this album. Is it good? Is it shit? is it meh...ok? I do consider The Final Frontier to be a sort of a return to their old style, while keeping the 00's version of themselves. While a lot of the songs are reminiscent of the Dance of Death/A Matter Of Life And Death era, my first Maiden album was Dance Of Death, so that is not a bad thing. It has the catchyness of the old days. As for me. I guess I should give it more of a chance, but to me it just didn't have the staying power I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, I love every track. But something about it makes me want to listen to a different album about half way through. In small doses, a few tracks at a time. This is a great album. But when on a full album spin, you may get bored.

6/10

79.) Cloudkicker- Beacons

One of my favorite discoveries of 2010. Cloudkicker is Instrumental Progressive Metal with hints of Meshuggah and Post Rock/Metal scattered throughout. This one man project is strictly just for making music. That is sad considering he does not want to do any touring. But he always puts out quality Metal that I enjoy and jam along to. Beacons is some of his finest work. You can hear it in every song. If you enjoy quality instrumental songwriting, you need to get Beacons. This album will blow your mind.

9/10

80.) Maserati- Pyramid Of The Sun

I sadly got into these guys way too late. Last year drummer, Jerry Fuchs, died jumping out of a broken elevator and missed the platform he was trying to jump onto. Fuchs is a fucking amazing drummer *Youtube him*. Maserati is a band a lot like 65daysofstatic, where they add Post Rock with a bit of Electronica and Space Rock. But unlike 65daysofstatic, they are still making rock music. Pyramids Of The Sun is the last album to feature Fuchs on drums. While it's not his best work, he is very solid and profound. I'm sure he was still alive it would have made the album that much bigger and better, but alas, this one, while still a very cool and fun listen, is a bit average to me. But it is a great sendoff to one of the best drummers who will forever be of the underground Post Rock scene.

6/10

81.) As I Lay Dying- The Powerless Rise

These guys really confuse the hell out of me. Every time I think they get better, they always have to add something to their album that really pisses me off. This time it is the Hot Topic style Emo Clean Vocals. While musically this is their best work, the clean vocals make it unbearable for me. Luckily, it is not the prominent on the album. Like Bullet For My Valentine in posts above, Badass instrumentally, Clean Emo vocals, but unlike BFMV, very quality growls and screams. Check this one out if you want to hear the best of As I Lay Dying, sans vocals.

6/10

82.) After The Burial- In Dreams

I had no idea 3 years ago when I opened for After the Burial that they would be come so damn huge. One of the few Twin Cities bands to make it in Metal. Very Proggy Metalcore with tinges of Technical Death metal and a bit of Deathcore. After The Burial is one of the few bands that can be attached to breakdowns that doesn't piss me off. They use them effectively. In Dream really showcases how musically badass they have become. Very Melodic in spots, but technical in others. In a way that can described as BTBAM without the long songs. If you have not given them a chance I highly suggest you do. This is not your stereotypical 00's Metal band. They are so much more.

9/10

83.) Enslaved- Axioma Ethica Odini

Black Metal with the Viking Spirit and Prog all over. Enslaved have created another masterpiece. This is my favorite album from Enslaved so far. Every track captures you in a way the previous track did not. it is such a shame they opened for Dimmu Borgir in the States, they deserve their own headlining tour. Axioma Ethica Odini is easily one of the best albums of the year. Buy this album now. Maybe with enough support, we can get them to headline the States in 2011?

10/10

84.) Wrath And Rapture- Wrath And Rapture

One of the last bands I discovered before I canceled my subscription to Satellite Radio. These guys are exactly what I want my band, Shattered, to be, in a different context. They are rooted in Metal, but expand to almost every sub-genre of Metal you can think of *again, think BTBAM*. While they still need to perfect their style, I'm sure they can get that done on their next album. This debut album is simply stunning.

7/10

85.) James LaBrie- Static Impulse

My 2nd or 3rd Favorite album of the year. When you listen to the song, Who You Think I Am, the title easily describes this album. This album is proggy like Dream Theater, but fucking heavy like Melodic Swedish Death Metal. The Screams and Drums provided by Peter Wildoer is my favorite drumming performance of 2010. it really makes me sad Wildoer didn't land the gig in DT, he fucking deserves it! But back to SI, This album is so damn catchy while being brutal and Proggy. Anyone who thinks James LaBrie is/was the weakest point in DT really needs to listen to this album and be proven wrong. I'll give anything for him to do a solo tour in 2011.

10/10

86.) The Sword- Warp Riders

My Favorite Rock album of 2010. The Sword got it right on this album. While many people will say the first 2 albums are better, and they very well could be right. The Production kills it for me. Warp Riders finally got the production The Sword deserves. Also they did switch their style a bit from the last two albums, going into a more Progressive Rock mixed with Metallica- Ride The Lightning Riffs and traces of Thin Lizzy all over. A guy like me dreams for this kind of album every year. I finally got it!

10/10

87.) The Roots- How I Got Over

My favorite Hip-Hop band is back again. While many people only know these guys from being the house band on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. I've known these guys for almost a decade now and loved everything they produced. I've said it before that I only really appreciate music that uses real musicians using real instruments. The Roots is exactly that. It doesn't matter if they are Hip-Hop, they write killer music. How I Got Over is the next chapter of their legacy. Don't be the narrow-minded listener who won't give this a chance. At least listen to a few songs before you completely diss on it. I've said it many times in these reviews, as a Prog guy, I love this album!

8/10

88.) Jimmy Gnecco- the Heart

The singer of an amazing band called Ours *Think Dredg* This is a mainly acoustic based album featuring amazing vocals by Gnecco. While this is not a album I spin on a regular basis *or much since I got it and spinned the hell out of it* Upon re-listening I remember everything that was awesome about this album. Don't expect anything really rockin' on this one. this one is more from the Heart *See what I did there?*

7/10

89.) Howl- Full Of Hell

Sludge Metal without question. It has a very Doom Metal vibe along with it. One way to describe these guys is if Candlemass had early Mastodon style vocals. This album is a really cool listen on the first spin, but after that it either becomes amazing, or repetitive. It is one of the better Sludge Metal albums to come out this year, but still, it feels average to me. Cool, but more of the same from Sludge Metal.

6/10

90.) Powerglove- Saturday Morning Apocalypse

Ever since I found out about these guys, I've been hooked. A lot of people write these guys off as a novelty band, playing Progressive Power Metal covers of video games. While yes, they are in some ways novelty, their musicianship more then makes up for it. 4 of the best musicians I've seen come out of the 00's. This album does not go into the video game world, but rather their favorite cartoons and animation. Which as a kid who roughly grew up around the same time they did watching the same shows/movies, this album is pure nostalgia to me. If these guys ever write an original album, they will become one of the biggest bands in the world. Mark my words!

8/10

91.) Anathema- We're Here Because We're Here

Steven Wilson had his hand on this album as well with mixing. Long gone are the days of the Metal side of Anathema, sticking with what they are known for, being alternative and almost progish, rock This is another album that just didn't capture my interest the way I was hoping for. While the quality of the songs are great, it just doesn't get the right vibe from me. I always try with Anathema, but this time, it just feels more of the same. Almost, dare I say too mellow? But I should expect no less. In the right mood, this is the right album, otherwise, I gotta look for something else.

5/10

92.) Boris With Ian Astbury- BXI

I shit you not, this is the first EP that has popped up in my randomization. This was original my "Most Fucked Up Pairing" of 2010. But when listening to the album. The pairing feels natural. I'd much rather hear Ian Astbury utilize this style of music, compared to what The Cult has become *Let's face it...shit* This fells so fresh, even if it only 4 songs. When *or if* I do my lists of 2010 I'll have my own list for EPs, and this one *while there is not many EPs this year* is very high up on that list. Please check this one out. It is so damn worth it.

9/10

93.) Menomena- Mines

Another album of the non-Metal variety. This is one of the poppiest, alternative albums I got this year. While it is not in my usual list of bands I listen to, Whenever this one pops up I always gotta listen. It is quality songwriting and very well orchestrated. I can't say its one of the best albums of the year. But if you're a Metal fan who wants to try something different of the Poppy Alternative Rock kind, try out Mines. it's a great listen.

6/10

94.) Torche- Songs For Singles

This EP title could not be more right. 6 of the best Torche songs ever written. Yes they have become less Sludgy over the years and a bit more mainstream, there's nothing wrong about that. Face The Wall is one of my top 5 favorite songs of 2010. While this is the shortest collection of music I have of 2010 *21 minutes* it in no way takes away from the fact that it is the most solid 21 minutes of music that came out out this year.

10/10

95.) High On Fire- Snakes For The Divine

Formed from the ashes of Sleep. High On Fire has become a band that has done something that is almost impossible for the average music fan to say. They are better then their predecessor. Snakes For The Divine, is what I feel to be their best work. I love every song. Matt Pike is really on top of his game right now. The only thing sad about this album is the lack of Praise. Some people out there love the album, but others I see no love for, which I find fucked up. But anyways, If you want to hear High On Fire's best album, pick this one up now!

9/10

96.)The Ocean- Anthropocentric

The Ocean has become a band that I wanted to ignore to a band I can't go on without listening to. Their style has changed so much for the better. Anthropocentric is one of the two parts of 2010 that proves this. Anthropocentric is the right combination of Post and Progressive Metal picking up where Heliocentric *see next review*. It's another sad case that they are not big enough to tour here often, if at all, but I'll will support them as much as I can.

8/10

97.) The Ocean- Heliocentric

*I swear that I did not make these two reviews next to each other on purpose. This is how it turned out. Had I wanted them to be together I would have made them in one review or put this one first*

Heliocentric is the more Orchestrated Post Progressive Metal album that The Ocean released this year. While both albums are killer. I tend to like Heliocentric just a tad more for this reason. The whole concept behind both albums is very cool. And music does not suffer from any preaching from either side of the issue expressed. Case in point, This is like it's aforementioned part 2, are simply amazing and need to be checked out!

8/10

98.) Mastodon- Jonah Hex- Revenge Gets Ugly

While initially I liked the idea of what Mastodon was doing, I find this EP to be extremely lacking. It is way too Droney for my taste and goes nowhere *unlike in Post Rock/Metal*. I suppose if I had watched the movie, maybe I'd appreciate the music more, but that's not the case *it looked so shitty*. This is definitely at the bottom of Mastodon's discography. Since it was made squarely for this movie, I'm going to let it slide and pretend this is music inspired by Mastodon and hope the next full length album will be kicking my ass very soon.

3/10

99.) Story Of The Year- The Constant

*Another "Haters Gonna Hate" review* I've always liked Story Of The Year. They do the right kind of Alternative Metal that doesn't suck. But this album like every album they have put out suffers from the same problem. Starts off awesome, ends awesome, in the middle gets very boring. Story Of The Year is like Oceansize, in the sense that they get so close to writing a masterpiece but sadly will probably never get there. Give this one a chance, because it is worth listening to. But don't write it off as it sucks before you give it a chance.

6/10

100.) In Vain- Mantra

One of my bigger letdowns of 2010. These guys' debut album, The Latter Vain is phenomenal. The perfect blend of Progressive and Black Metal. But Mantra just doesn't live up. I will say once again this may be because of repeated listens to the first album and not as much of Mantra, but at the same time, If it had caught my interest the way The Latter Vain did, it would have received those additional plays. It is still a worthy album to have, but The Latter Vain is so much better.

5/10

101.) Mouth Of The Architect- The Violence Beneath

This 4 track EP is fucking mindblowing. Progressive Post Metal. These guys improve with every album with ease and while not a full album, I dare say is their best work. The first 3 songs are their original works, but the song that impresses me the most is their cover of Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes *Played at about 1/4th the speed*. there is so much emotion in this version that I just can't get over. I will say I was about to tear up the first time I heard it. It fit the mood for some stuff going on in my life. Check these guys out as soon as possible, they need to be so much bigger then what they are right now.

10/10

102.) Agalloch- Marrow Of The Spirit

Right now it's currently tied between this and Ihashn's After as my favorite album of 2010. *Really making this list into a top 20 is going to really suck*. Folk Metal mixed with Black, Acoustic and Post Rock/Metal. Agalloch is one of those bands that is impossible to make a masterpiece. That is exactly what Marrow Of The Spirit is. This really is the type of album that a review will give it no justice. Let the music do the talking on this one.

10/10

103.) Alcest- Ecailles De Lune

This one has to be in top 5, if not higher. No questions asked. Alcest is my favorite discovery of this year and my life has been changed ever since.Post Metal mixed with Black Metal in perfect harmony. This album has it all and then some. The Most Beautiful Metal written in 2010. There's no other way to describe it.

10/10

104.) Forbidden- Omega Wave

One of the most underrated Thrash bands ever. Omega Wave carries on what the Thrash bands of yesteryear are continuing to do. Keeping it real! One of the best Thrash albums to come out this year. While I will not say the best Thrash Album, it is very close. Give Forbidden the love they deserve. buy this album!

8/10

105.) Demians- Mute

Demian's Building An Empire is one of my favorite Prog album. Mute is a bit more on the Alternative/Post side of Prog, but in lo way is it a let down. The quality of the songwriting is as top-notch as the debut album. I guess a way you can describe this album is a mix of Porcupine Tree, Dredg, and Thrice. Demians, again is another band that can't afford to tour the States, so I gotta do my part to support the band. If you enjoy your Prog to be Melodic and beautiful, pick up Mute. You'll be glad you did!

9/10

106.) Blind Guardian- At The Edge Of Time

The best Power Metal album of 2010, if not the last decade. Every song is perfect. Live, the songs come off even better. It was well worth the wait for this one. Hansi and Co. can do no wrong. Seeing Blind Guardian was a life changing experience for me. I'm hooked for life, if I wasn't already. At The Edge of Time is in my top 10 of 2010 *I'm not sure where yet*. But I will say your album had to really fucking impress me to beat At The Edge of Time.

10/10

107.) Borknagar- Universal

I never checked out these guys until this year, but I really dig what they do. It's progressive Rock that all of a sudden turns Black Metal on the turn of a dime. Of all Black Metal I must say they have the best clean vocals. Which makes this album very high on the more extreme Metal albums of this year. While I still need a few more listens to fully digest these guys. It is killer shit!

8/10

108.) The Crinn- Dreaming Saturn

Another band that I opened for that I had no idea would become huge. They are currently signed to Nuclear Blast Records. Pretty big for a Twin Cities band I must say. These guys I say are a better version of Dillinger Escape Plan if DEP turned more Proggy then Poppy. It's great to see a band like The Crinn kicking ass. This album really showcases what I witnessed opening for them.

8/10

109.) Alter Of Plagues- Tides

Of all the 2 song EPs I bought this year...this is the best. Ok, it's the only 2 song EP I have bought this year. But it is still very badass. Somewhat like Alcest and Agalloch, Alter Of Plagues makes very beautiful Post Black Metal. Both songs are over the 15 minute mark. But neither feels like it drags on. I hope in 2011, they will put out a full album. I really want to see them on tour.

7/10

110.) Cynic- Re-Traced

The last EP on the list *Second to last review overall*. Cynic really went out of their element on this EP, but it was the right thing to do. Acoustic version of Integral, Alternative Rock Version of Evolutionary, Electronic version of Space, Smooth Jazz/Electronica version of King, and the Traced In Air B-Side, Wheels Within Wheels. This EP, while again short, is one that you can listen to over and over again. Cynic only writes the best music. This EP proves even redoing your last album can do no wrong.

10/10

111.) Nevermore- The Obsidian Conspiracy

Funny how this is the last album. People either love this album to death or hate it. I for one love it, and find it refreshing they've shaken things up a bit. There's nothing wrong with making things a bit more accessible. Don't get me wrong I hope the next album will be a return to form, but right now, the Obsidian Conspiracy was the right album to make. Now lets do what Warrell Dane has said about Emptiness Unobstructed and make it a sell out song that will get them on the radio!

10/10

These are my last words *Haha, see what I did there?*

Thanks guys for checking out this thread and I hope you guys didn't get too bored and dug what you read. Maybe even got inspired to buy an album or 7 because of it.

Let's hope 2011 kicks 2010's ass!

Last edited by MPF; 12-06-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
We're dying on the inside

I'm a huge MOTA fan, seen 'em three times, they're from my hometown for chrissakes, but I did not think The Violence Beneath was up to their standards. The title track and the Gabriel cover rule, though.

Have you heard their LPs and the split with Kenoma? Amazing stuff.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'm a huge MOTA fan, seen 'em three times, they're from my hometown for chrissakes, but I did not think The Violence Beneath was up to their standards. The title track and the Gabriel cover rule, though.

Have you heard their LPs and the split with Kenoma? Amazing stuff.
Those two are my favorite on the EP, but the other 2 are great as well in their own rights.

I have the 3 albums, but can't find the Kenoma split anywhere. I really want to check it out. But they are fucking amazing!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Those two are my favorite on the EP, but the other 2 are great as well in their own rights.

I have the 3 albums, but can't find the Kenoma split anywhere. I really want to check it out. But they are fucking amazing!
Shit, the split has maybe their best song (the 17-minute "Sleepwalk Powder") - and the Kenoma side is some of my favorite post-rock ever, a friend and I directed the video for one of their songs on there. I think it's fairly easy to find on eBay, well fucking worth it.

Glad there's another MOTA nut on here man, cheers.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Shit, the split has maybe their best song (the 17-minute "Sleepwalk Powder") - and the Kenoma side is some of my favorite post-rock ever, a friend and I directed the video for one of their songs on there. I think it's fairly easy to find on eBay, well fucking worth it.

Glad there's another MOTA nut on here man, cheers.
I will have to look into that. That sounds like it is right up my alley.

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
79.) Cloudkicker- Beacons[/b]

One of my favorite discoveries of 2010. Cloudkicker is Instrumental Progressive Metal with hints of Meshuggah and Post Rock/Metal scattered throughout. This one man project is strictly just for making music. That is sad considering he does not want to do any touring. But he always puts out quality Metal that I enjoy and jam along to. Beacons is some of his finest work. You can hear it in every song. If you enjoy quality instrumental songwriting, you need to get Beacons. This album will blow your mind.

9/10
An incredible album, no doubt. I consider this to be one of the best releases of the year purely because of its variance in tones. It has a few awesome metal tracks with some awesome shoegazey stuff later in the album.

Quote:
91.) Anathema- We're Here Because We're Here

Steven Wilson had his hand on this album as well with mixing. Long gone are the days of the Metal side of Anathema, sticking with what they are known for, being alternative and almost progish, rock This is another album that just didn't capture my interest the way I was hoping for. While the quality of the songs are great, it just doesn't get the right vibe from me. I always try with Anathema, but this time, it just feels more of the same. Almost, dare I say too mellow? But I should expect no less. In the right mood, this is the right album, otherwise, I gotta look for something else.
[/b]
I disagree a ton with this however. I got into Anathema after their metal days, and now may be one of my favorite non-metal acts. An album that exhibits such serenity and calmness is rare. I could easily understand that if you got into them a while ago this album could be a disappointment, but I think this album is quite excellent.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
An incredible album, no doubt. I consider this to be one of the best releases of the year purely because of its variance in tones. It has a few awesome metal tracks with some awesome shoegazey stuff later in the album.

I disagree a ton with this however. I got into Anathema after their metal days, and now may be one of my favorite non-metal acts. An album that exhibits such serenity and calmness is rare. I could easily understand that if you got into them a while ago this album could be a disappointment, but I think this album is quite excellent.
Cloudkicker is the shit! I'm glad He's getting more and more known. He really deserves it.

Anathema- I'm really trying with them. I can use the excuse that every time I listened to this album really didn't fit the mood, but at the same time, that's a cop out. I'm going to keep trying. Just because it is calm and serene doesn't mean I still can't enjoy it. I might just give it another spin tonight.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Anathema- I'm really trying with them. I can use the excuse that every time I listened to this album really didn't fit the mood, but at the same time, that's a cop out. I'm going to keep trying. Just because it is calm and serene doesn't mean I still can't enjoy it. I might just give it another spin tonight.
YOU'RE SO FUCKING WRONG!!!!!!!!one
Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
YOU'RE SO FUCKING WRONG!!!!!!!!one
Haha