Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
You're joking right?

Therion isn't even anywhere near the bottom of the popularity bracket. I can find at least one or two their albums in FYE and Best Buy, which easily puts them in a decent spot. Drawing an average of 200 people per show in this country doesn't even begin to qualify them for being truly obscure.
Maybe it's different in other places in the U.S, but in Buffalo NY where I live it will probably be hard to find a metal fan who knows of Therion.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
Maybe it's different in other places in the U.S, but in Buffalo NY where I live it will probably be hard to find a metal fan who knows of Therion.
I agree. C'mon guys...we're all nerds on a metal message board. Of course we've heard of Therion...but you're telling me the average metal head knows them? No way. If we include the BULK of the metalhead demographic, we include everyone that listens to Killswitch Engage, Dragonforce, and only Iron Maiden. Those people don't know or care about Therion.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Play it loud, don't play it low

Quote:
I don't know, very few bands do North American dates and don't at least play some stuff in California. There's a few other places out there bands normally play, and lately most bands definitely seem to be hitting Texas.
I would be totally shocked if Pagan's Mind toured through Texas.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I agree. C'mon guys...we're all nerds on a metal message board. Of course we've heard of Therion...but you're telling me the average metal head knows them? No way. If we include the BULK of the metalhead demographic, we include everyone that listens to Killswitch Engage, Dragonforce, and only Iron Maiden. Those people don't know or care about Therion.
What you mentioned is not the true metalhead demographic.

All of my real-life metalhead friends know who Therion at least are, even if they've never heard them, regardless of what specific subgenre(s) of metal they love. They're NOT that underground.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
What you mentioned is not the true metalhead demographic.

All of my real-life metalhead friends know who Therion at least are, even if they've never heard them, regardless of what specific subgenre(s) of metal they love. They're NOT that underground.
i'd have to agree with Children of Sodom. i'm pretty sure if you ask the average metalhead at a show they'll have no idea who Therion is. as for Maiden33 i'm pretty sure your metalhead friends know who they are because i'm pretty sure most of your friends listen to progressive and power metal. i don't know you personally but i'm just assuming. and even though Therion are not prog or power metal, most fans of those genres know who Therion is. so that'll probably explain why most of your friends know them.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 11-19-2010, 02:44 PM
We're dying on the inside

I'm with Indestructible/CoS/xStructual here. How many people at a DragonForce show or a Lamb of God show or Disturbed show own 500 metal albums and listen to bands we all like on here? Very few, I'm guessing. Yet how many of those people consider themselves metalheads? Damn near all of them.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:47 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'm with Indestructible/CoS/xStructual here. How many people at a DragonForce show or a Lamb of God show or Disturbed show own 500 metal albums and listen to bands we all like on here? Very few, I'm guessing. Yet how many of those people consider themselves metalheads? Damn near all of them.
Again, the point has been missed I think. I'm not trying to argue in the least that everyone knows who Therion is - that's FAR from the truth. But all my friends who I consider to be metal fans at least know who they are, even though almost none of them are even fans. Half the people at Lamb of God/Disturbed shows have no idea who the majority of the bands I listen to are. But that doesn't mean they're all incredibly underground. Many of them tour the states and play to 500-1,500 people each night. That's NOT that underground. Just because they're not either hip or old enough to just assume respect/"legend" status doesn't mean "they're only a band nerdy message board metal fans have even heard of".

Edit: I like how I'm arguing for the validity of a band I don't even like.

Double Edit: According to Blabbermouth - the newest Therion album sold as many copies in the US in its first week as the last Metal Church album, nearly 2 years ago.

Last edited by Maiden33; 11-19-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft View Post
I would be totally shocked if Pagan's Mind toured through Texas.
I definitely wouldn't. A few of the people in the ProgPower community (promoters and such) who are really up PM's ass are actually from Texas. If their 2011 US tour attempt is more than 8-10 cities, I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
They announced this three years ago when their last tour bombed, Fonz.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=83388
So, it's basically bullshit from them just to draw interest. Didn't seem to work too well.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
But all my friends who I consider to be metal fans at least know who they are, even though almost none of them are even fans. Half the people at Lamb of God/Disturbed shows have no idea who the majority of the bands I listen to are.
I've never heard of 75% of the bands you listen to.