Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft View Post
It's just the reality of the situation. Bands like Therion can't draw flies here because their music appeals to such a small niche audience.

That's why I went to ProgPower X last year. I knew it'd probably be my only chance to ever see Pagan's Mind live.
Pagan's Mind are DEFINITELY on the upward trajectory though. Seeing them open for Stratovarius in 2009 was a very odd experience. The crowd response was probably about even for both bands, but you definitely got the feeling like Stratovarius was losing ground, while Pagan's Mind were gaining it. And they certainly made even more fans that night. A full-scale US tour would be a horrible idea, but when they get the next album out, they are planning on coming back over and doing some shows on their own, and if it's fairly well planned, I think the shows will do pretty decent.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Play it loud, don't play it low

I highly doubt Pagan's Mind would travel west of the Mississippi river.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft View Post
I highly doubt Pagan's Mind would travel west of the Mississippi river.
I don't know, very few bands do North American dates and don't at least play some stuff in California. There's a few other places out there bands normally play, and lately most bands definitely seem to be hitting Texas.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:13 PM
That Guy

Pagan's Mind played in MN last year. Unfortuneately, I had a gig that night and I had a free ticket. Fuck how I wish I would have been there.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Homebrewing Metalhead

Not suprised to see him say that. He basically told me the same thing when I talked to him during the last tour. Ironically though this quote is wrong. Both tours were not for Gothic Kaballah. One was for Lemuria/Sirius B, the other for Gothic Kaballah (which I missed). And he told me that on the first tour and from what it seemed their experience the second time around was even worse.

If they had more fans yeah, but I totally can't blame them. Still they are playing Prog Power so if you really want to see them you can. Same is true of Pain of Salvation, except in Daniel's case it was because of some bullshit anti government ideal.

I just don't get why they aren't more popular. I guess because alot of people can't handle that extreme blending of genre's. Its true of alot of other acts as well so I suppose thats the answer. I DEFINITELY never got why Pain of Salvation wasn't more popular. Never made any sense to me. I can understand it now, since they have gone so far away from what they started as, but not many better prog metal albums than Remedy Lane/Entropia/Perfect Element.

We miss you Ronnie...
Old 11-19-2010, 01:14 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

It's really not just America that's the problem. Look at the size of our country. It's smaller than most of your individual states. But most bands can only afford to come here and play one show in London, and some can't even afford to do that.

The reason? The same as in America. People are fucking lazy. Shows do not cost that much unless it's a major arena/stadium show. Most people spend more on beer in one post-work/uni Friday night in the pub than it costs to go to a show. But no one can ever be bothered to check bands out. That's why most bands that are clearly awesome never make it to the heights they should, because the radio doesn't play them and that's the only way most people can be bothered to discover music.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 11-19-2010, 03:56 AM
N00B

They announced this three years ago when their last tour bombed, Fonz.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=83388

Last edited by Derelict; 11-19-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
It's really not just America that's the problem. Look at the size of our country. It's smaller than most of your individual states. But most bands can only afford to come here and play one show in London, and some can't even afford to do that.

The reason? The same as in America. People are fucking lazy. Shows do not cost that much unless it's a major arena/stadium show. Most people spend more on beer in one post-work/uni Friday night in the pub than it costs to go to a show. But no one can ever be bothered to check bands out. That's why most bands that are clearly awesome never make it to the heights they should, because the radio doesn't play them and that's the only way most people can be bothered to discover music.
I agree with people in America being lazy, but Therion is an obscure metal band(atleast here in the U.S they are), and alot of people don't know who they are. You can find the most diehard metal fan in America and they probably never heard of Therion.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
I agree with people in America being lazy, but Therion is an obscure metal band(atleast here in the U.S they are), and alot of people don't know who they are. You can find the most diehard metal fan in America and they probably never heard of Therion.
You're joking right?

Therion isn't even anywhere near the bottom of the popularity bracket. I can find at least one or two their albums in FYE and Best Buy, which easily puts them in a decent spot. Drawing an average of 200 people per show in this country doesn't even begin to qualify them for being truly obscure.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:02 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post

Also, this.

If I HAVE the money to go to a show that interests me, you can bet I'll be there - but many people don't see it the same way. If I can either go out for a really nice dinner or go see a band I like a bit, that's an obvious choice for me. I have never missed a show I really wanted to go to just because I didn't feel like going or something. Also, when I'm forced to start to whittle away shows I plan to go to, I generally select based on rarity of the performance. If it's a band I've never seen and don't think I'm guaranteed a chance to see again, I'm there. Also, if it's a band who I think is only gonna draw 200 or less, I'm there, because I think they need the support more than someone who's gonna pack a 1,500-capacity venue.