Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Sleep -- Chicago, IL -- August 29th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #311  
Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
\m/

I'm jealous. I never had the opportunity to see Death. Been a fan since I first started getting into music, but they just never tour'd anywhere close to my neck of the woods. Or if they did, I somehow missed it.

It was harder to keep track of band tours before the internet
No doubt. Everything about getting into music is so much easier these days. I got into metal in the early 80's, so I was able to cut my teeth on albums like British Steel, Kill 'Em All, Reign in Blood, etc. when they were new (or recent) releases. Thus, I got to see Death when Spiritual Healing was new, and Slayer when South of Heaven was new, or Exodus when Bonded by Blood was new (which was the first album I ever owned on CD, by the way ).

I had no idea then how lucky I was - even though getting new music meant you had to buy it based on a leap of faith (or some good word of mouth, if it was something popular), or swap cassette tapes with a friend (or just make a copy on your boom box that had dual deck cassette decks...). It was a different time back then, but it was the best of times, in many ways. The amount of effort required to get into new music meant that we appreciated it more than we do today, I think.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?

Last edited by Natrlhi; 07-01-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 07-01-2014, 10:11 AM
adamclark52's Avatar
adamclark52 adamclark52 is online now
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Keswick, Ontario
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

I had no idea then how lucky I was - even though getting new music meant you had to buy it based on a leap of faith (or some good word of mouth, if it was something popular), or swap cassette tapes with a friend (or just make a copy on your boom box that had dual deck cassette decks...). It was a different time back then, but it was the best of times, in many ways. The amount of effort required to get into new music meant that we appreciated it more than we do today, I think.
TESTIFY!
__________________
09/19 - Deafheaven
09/26 - Belphegor
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 07-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Nausea's Avatar
Nausea Nausea is offline
Metal Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
No doubt. Everything about getting into music is so much easier these days. I got into metal in the early 80's, so I was able to cut my teeth on albums like British Steel, Kill 'Em All, Reign in Blood, etc. when they were new (or recent) releases. Thus, I got to see Death when Spiritual Healing was new, and Slayer when South of Heaven was new, or Exodus when Bonded by Blood was new (which was the first album I ever owned on CD, by the way ).

I had no idea then how lucky I was - even though getting new music meant you had to buy it based on a leap of faith (or some good word of mouth, if it was something popular), or swap cassette tapes with a friend (or just make a copy on your boom box that had dual deck cassette decks...). It was a different time back then, but it was the best of times, in many ways. The amount of effort required to get into new music meant that we appreciated it more than we do today, I think.
Yep, word of mouth, and opening bands were the best way to find new music back then. I didn't start really getting into music until about 6th grade, and the album that got me hooked was Master of Puppets. My first concert was that year too- ... and Justice For All Tour which is still probably in my top 10 concerts all time.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 07-01-2014, 10:39 AM
MetalIsArt's Avatar
MetalIsArt MetalIsArt is offline
Long live Ronnie James Dio
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dendermonde, Flanders
Posts: 2,883
Blog Entries: 1
Yeah, Chuck must've been a very nice guy.

A few years before he died, a reporter of Aardschok magazine met him and told him something like "I never expected this" etc. Chuck replied "You never know what life brings!"

After he died, the guy wrote a little tribute to him and it only confirmed that he was very cool.
__________________
Music is my life - Everything from ADELE to Napalm Death.
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 07-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
TESTIFY!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
I didn't start really getting into music until about 6th grade, and the album that got me hooked was Master of Puppets.
Wow, I think you and I are within about five years of age (I'm "40-ish" ). Welcome to an extremely small (but powerful ) minority on this forum.

Yeah, I remember when a buddy of mine got his first copy of MoP and we took it with us to the playground to crank it in his boom box while we were playing basketball. We were floored by what we heard. We played all day while listening to that album on a loop, and I swear it was some of the roughest hoops I ever remembered playing.

We played until the sun went down, and the only thing I remember that stopped us during that whole day was that we needed to send one of us go to the store to buy some more batteries for the boom box because we had drained the ones we had brought with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
Yeah, Chuck must've been a very nice guy.
I have absolutely no doubt. Everyone who has ever met him has confirmed this.

It only makes me wish I'd had the balls to talk to him back when I was a scrawny, pimple-faced teenager.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?

Last edited by Natrlhi; 07-01-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Nausea's Avatar
Nausea Nausea is offline
Metal Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

Yeah, I remember when a buddy of mine got his first copy of MoP and we took it with us to the playground to crank it in his boom box while we were playing basketball. We were floored by what we heard. We played all day while listening to that album on a loop, and I swear it was some of the roughest hoops I ever remembered playing.
My best Metallica story- 7th grade Earth Science. If we finished our test early we could turn it over and draw on the back. So I finished early, turned it over, and wrote out the lyrics to Fade to Black. A few days later, I am called down to the principles office during class. I walk into his office to find my mom in tears, the principle, vice principle, councilor, and a couple people I didnt recognize. They then start in on this intervention telling me I have so much to live for. And I say something like "What are you guys talking about?" which they then show me the test and I bust out laughing "Im not suicidal! That's just a Metallica song". It was pretty funny, but probably one of those 'you had to be there moments'
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
My best Metallica story- 7th grade Earth Science. If we finished our test early we could turn it over and draw on the back. So I finished early, turned it over, and wrote out the lyrics to Fade to Black. A few days later, I am called down to the principles office during class. I walk into his office to find my mom in tears, the principle, vice principle, councilor, and a couple people I didnt recognize. They then start in on this intervention telling me I have so much to live for. And I say something like "What are you guys talking about?" which they then show me the test and I bust out laughing "Im not suicidal! That's just a Metallica song". It was pretty funny, but probably one of those 'you had to be there moments'
I knew the way that story was going to end before I was even halfway through.

I knew somebody who had the exact same thing happen to him over the lyrics of "Suicide Solution".

Thank the fuck Satan we had caring adults watching out for our stupid asses back then, though - even if they were a little uptight and reactionary.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:00 AM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,966
I dunno I'd be pretty concerned for someone who randomly wrote Fade To Black's lyrics and gave it to me if I didn't know it was a song.
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Nausea's Avatar
Nausea Nausea is offline
Metal Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I dunno I'd be pretty concerned for someone who randomly wrote Fade To Black's lyrics and gave it to me if I didn't know it was a song.
In retrospect it probably wasn't my best idea, but honestly I didn't think my teacher would even look what was written on back. I was in 7th grade, wasn't exactly properly thinking things through before doing them. I didn't think it was absurd that they held this intervention, I just thought it was funny that they did.
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 AM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
Based on interviews I've seen, I would imagine that Chuck Schuldiner might have been the nicest guy in metal ever.
I don't doubt that he was nice to his fans, but early on there were widespread rumors that he was a douche, which he routinely confirmed in interviews by insulting other people / bands. I've read that he calmed down a lot in his later years and made amends with many former members shortly before his death, but he was always known to be a volatile and extremely difficult guy to work with.
__________________
9.28 Sadistic Intent / Morbid Saint
10.20 Raven
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008