Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Met BTBAM + rhythm guitarist of AAL tonight. Everyone in BTBAM are hella cool, especially Dan and Blake. Paul could have maybe been a bit nicer, but eh, they were great to hang out with. Javier from AAL was pretty nice helping everyone else with the merch but I kind of fucked it up and didn't recognize him.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 09-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampinUp46 View Post
Otep Shamaya. I'm unsure about her (I may have caught her on a bad day, or she could be an asshole every day), but she was rude to me when I met her, so I'm listing her here. Some people say she's the coolest person you'll ever meet, others say she's pretentious, full of herself, and has an ego the size of China. Can anyone else help me out on this one?
I've never met her or seen the band live, but a couple years ago they played a one-off all-day festival sponsored by our local hard rock radio station. Supposedly they had to beg her to come out on stage after the promoter didn't get her the brand of glass-bottled water she wanted.

Sounds like a bitch.
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 09-30-2011, 02:34 PM
The <_> Badge of Honor

New one to add to the dick list:

Michael Amott of Arch Enemy/Carcass. I did an interview with him yesterday afternoon, and he payed little attention to me. He picked up his guitar and played solos throughout the interview and wouldn't answer my question until he was done with a solo. And when he DID answer, they were very brief.

Very disappointing, since Carcass is one of my favorite bands.
6/28 - Warped Tour
6/30 - Puscifer
Old 10-01-2011, 09:31 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolent Mike View Post
I've never met her or seen the band live, but a couple years ago they played a one-off all-day festival sponsored by our local hard rock radio station. Supposedly they had to beg her to come out on stage after the promoter didn't get her the brand of glass-bottled water she wanted.

Sounds like a bitch.
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 04-05-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggz View Post
New one to add to the dick list:

Michael Amott of Arch Enemy/Carcass. I did an interview with him yesterday afternoon, and he payed little attention to me. He picked up his guitar and played solos throughout the interview and wouldn't answer my question until he was done with a solo. And when he DID answer, they were very brief.

Very disappointing, since Carcass is one of my favorite bands.
I've heard that from many people.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Lead Singer of Atlas

When I met Micheal he was very nice. We shared a cup of coffee before the Carcass show in St. Pete, FL. Signed my Rise of the Tyrant booklet as well.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Lead Singer of Atlas

Fabio Lione of Rhapsody/Kamelot was amazing to meet!

I went to the Kamelot show in Orlando (last day of the tour) and saw him walk into the restroom, so I waited at the other end of the bar for him to come back. As soon as he noticed my pen and booklets he said "OH! Autographs? Lets move into the light a little bit."

I told him how much of an influence he is for me as a singer and that he has one of the best voices in Metal. I went on to say that I found out about Rhapsody one week AFTER they played Orlando in 2005, and we both said at the same time "With Manowar." He told me he hopes to return soon and was happy to see a Rhapsody fan who didn't just have the new albums. Amazing guy!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Unhealer

Adding the Leprous dudes, all of While Heaven Wept, Tom from Haken/To-Mera, and Elize Ryd of Kamelot/Amaranthe to the "awesome" list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
Fabio Lione of Rhapsody/Kamelot was amazing to meet!

I went to the Kamelot show in Orlando (last day of the tour) and saw him walk into the restroom, so I waited at the other end of the bar for him to come back. As soon as he noticed my pen and booklets he said "OH! Autographs? Lets move into the light a little bit."

I told him how much of an influence he is for me as a singer and that he has one of the best voices in Metal. I went on to say that I found out about Rhapsody one week AFTER they played Orlando in 2005, and we both said at the same time "With Manowar." He told me he hopes to return soon and was happy to see a Rhapsody fan who didn't just have the new albums. Amazing guy!
And him, too! SUPER-nice guy. He really loves what he's doing. He chatted with us about Rhapsody, Christopher Lee, and how he's doing in Kamelot for quite a while after the Worcester show. One dude gave him a lot of Rhapsody booklets to sign and he autographed each one, asking, "Which one's your favorite?" I love that he's a total Kamelot fanboy, too.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Žķestru

This is my first post here, so hello everybody.

The awesome:

King FUCKING Fowley, from Deceased. I met him this year at MDF, as he was carrying around a bag of his new (and excellent) album 'Surreal Overdose'. I was with my old friend Ryan Ganley, who has known King for years, and that made for an easy introduction. King's an extremely nice dude, and he's genuine. Everything he does is out of sincere love of metal and its fans. Plus, he complimented my Fates Warning shirt, so I knew he had to be all right. We've kept in touch ever since, usually via Facebook. How many people from great (and classic) bands routinely chat with their fans? King gets an A+.

Anders Nystrom from Katatonia. I met him the first time I saw Katatonia in 2006 (and the rest of the band too, but I talked to Anders mostly). I've been a very enthusiastic Katatonia fan for years, and I've collected a pretty sizable collection of their stuff. I brought a lot of it with me to that show, and he agreed to sign 'some stuff' and I started taking out stacks of liners notes and even their demo tape (which, incidentally, I had purchased from him on eBay years prior to this) from my various pockets, his eyes widened. He was truly honored that someone would invest so much in the music he and the other guys make, and he was very humble about it. And I was delighted to know that one of my favorite musicians of all time was such a levelheaded, unpretentious human being.

Bobbie Wright and Jack Hays from Brocas Helm. I saw them play at Thrash Against Cancer in San Fransisco in... 2005, I believe. My friends and I went absolutely fucking insane during their set, while everyone else in the audience were being lame, picking their asses and wondering, 'Who the hell's Brocas Helm?' Well, BH took notice of our madness, and we hung out with them for a while after they got done playing. We had driven up from Monterey to attend Thrash Against Cancer, and they seemed really surprised and honored by our enthusiasm for their music. They gave us some Brocas Helm poker chips, but sadly, they didn't have any shirts in our size. I was disappointed to see that they broke up this year, because they were true metal champions, and lamentably unheralded ones at that. Too bad we couldn't meet Jim Schumacher too.

Steveggs from Schnauzer and... well, lots of weird shit. At last year's MDF, we shared a hotel room with this guy, and he was hilarious. One night after the day's show was over, he vanished for a while, then turned up at the room hours later, having wandered around Baltimore and snorted coke with a homeless guy (yeah, he actually did that). He then regaled us with hilarious anecdotes and various bitchings about Jim Sadist (of Nunslaughter, Schnauzer, etc.).

Jim Sadist. I've met him a couple of times now, and each time he's been a really cool guy. I don't really know his music all that well (I can say that Nunslaughter kicks ass live), but he's definitely friendly and down-to-earth (although Steveggs says otherwise, haha).

George 'Corpsegrinder' Fisher. Another guy I met at MDF. I have to say upfront I don't listen to Cannibal Corpse. No particular reason why, I just don't. But he had to be one of the friendliest dudes I've ever met, musician or otherwise. Seriously, he acted like my friend and I were the celebrities and he was the fan. He shook our hands like 15 times each, and every time he initiated it. When he learned that we had traveled a ways to come to MDF he said, 'That's what I love about metal, people come from all over the world just to get together and support it and have fun.' And I said, 'Man, heavy metal is not just a kind of music; it's a way of life.' And he stopped, looked at me, and said, 'That's the best thing I've ever heard anyone say.' And then he shook my hand a bunch.

Slutti666 from Impaled Nazarene. He was completely wasted on alcohol and/or other things when we met him, and he was just outrageous. When my friend Frost (no, not that Frost) asked him what Finns things of Estonians, he exclaimed in drunken, broken English, 'Estonians... are our BROTHERS!' And when asked who else besides ImpNaz is the most important band from Finland, he looked disgusted/surprised, and said, 'We are the ONLY band from Finland!' And when we were getting our picture with him, we all started to throw up the horns, and he said, 'No! Middle finger! Show your HATE!' We had no choice but to obey.

Michael Lepond from Symphony X. No funny stories about him, just a quiet, friendly guy who was more than happy to hang out with a few fans, chat, and sign stuff.

Gene FUCKING Hoglan from Dark FUCKING Angel, Death, Strapping... -- wait, you should know who the fuck Gene Hoglan is. Met him at an SYL show in 2005. I was eating a hamburger and not paying attention during the opening bands when my friend nudged me and went, 'Dude, it's Gene Hoglan.' And sure enough, he was walking in our direction, just hanging out in the audience, and NOBODY FUCKING RECOGNIZED HIM except for us. (There was a lot of scenester '-core' kids there just to see the first few bands.) Anyway, he stopped and chatted with us for a couple of minutes, signed some stuff, left a good impression, and wandered off somewhere (backstage, I'm guessing).

Eli Santana and Alex Lee from Holy Grail. Also very nice and sociable guys, truly appreciative of their supporters. I ran into them again at ProgPower a few weeks ago, and they even recognized me.

Jesse Haff from Daylight Dies. I talk to him for a few minutes after DD's set opening for Katatonia. I had had some interaction with him online before that, buying shirts and whatnot, and he was just as cool in person as he seemed to be on the internet.

Orphaned Land, all of them. Humblest guys you could imagine. Don't know what else to say, they were just friendly and unassuming, and seemed honestly interested in talking to their fans.

Other nice musicians I've met briefly who were cool:

Hansi Kursch and Andre Olbrich from Blind Guardian, my favorite band.
Matt Harvey from Exhumed, Dekapitator, etc. I've actually met him two or three times, but never for very long.
Martin van Drunen from Asphyx, Hail of Bullets, and a few others. We ran into him walking back to our hotel at this year's MDF. He was pretty funny, trying to find a place to change out his currency for dollars, and I think he also said something about wanting to find some girls. (Memory's fuzzy; I was rather messed up at that point.)

And... I think that's about it. I've never met anyone who acted like a dick to me, I'm happy to say.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fates Guardian View Post
This is my first post here, so hello everybody.

The awesome:

King FUCKING Fowley, from Deceased. I met him this year at MDF, as he was carrying around a bag of his new (and excellent) album 'Surreal Overdose'. I was with my old friend Ryan Ganley, who has known King for years, and that made for an easy introduction. King's an extremely nice dude, and he's genuine. Everything he does is out of sincere love of metal and its fans. Plus, he complimented my Fates Warning shirt, so I knew he had to be all right. We've kept in touch ever since, usually via Facebook. How many people from great (and classic) bands routinely chat with their fans? King gets an A+.
Agreed 100%. King is the coolest guy I've met. He gave me his email and I've talked to him occasionally. Really cares about the music and the fans.