Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014
Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014
Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014

Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Miss May I -- Hollywood, CA -- November 11th, 2010

this show was held at the Key Club. Confide and The World Alive were originally on the lineup but Confide broke up just recently and TWA dropped off for some reason. i had planned on going to this show last second because my friend said she was going to go so i said i'd go with her, plus i just started listening to MMI a few weeks ago. and long story short but not long after telling her i'd go with her i ended up winning 2 free tickets to get on the guest list because i was 1 of 5 people to win a contest on facebook.

i got there around 8 right before the second band Abandon All Ships was about to go on. the place wasn't that packed at the time, but at least a hundred or so people at this show. MMI played Anaheim the night before and it was sold out (Anaheim and LA are only 30min away from eachother). MMI isn't thaaat popular so i wouldn't expect them to sell out two club shows that are right next to eachother.

anyways onto the show. AAS was pretty terrible. it was pretty much metalcore with techno parts and really lame clean vocals (very similar to Attack Attack and We Came as Romans). there were some people jumping around and maybe like 3 hardcore dancers in the pit. my friends walked out after a few songs to grab a bite across the street.

we come back and Bury Tomorrow had just started. they sounded like a generic metalcore band but they weren't that bad live honestly. there were some hardcore dancers in the pit but after awhile a few songs the singer said he didn't want anymore hardcore dancers and wanted "an old school push pit like Slipknot." there wasn't a lot of people involved in the pit but it was fun while it lasted. so for the last few songs there were only push pits until the last breakdown of the last song came on. overall they weren't bad actually, but not a band i'd listen to on my own time though.

now time for Miss May I. the venue still wasn't that packed by the time they came on. the first song kicks in and the singer asks for a circle pit so me and a few people start it but it didn't last that song. throughout the set there were only a few decent circle pits, but for the most there were like 3 or 4 people trying to start the circle pits up but with no luck. every breakdown of the song the hardcore dancers went ballistic though. there like 2 songs that did have some good circle pits though. and one of the last songs had a wall of death which was pretty fun. i forgot which song it was though. it may have Colossal or Architect. the band played pretty well even though the lead singer was a bit off at times. but for their age they did great. i'd see this band again and i could see myself listening to them more in the future.

Intro
Our Kings
A Dance With Aera Cura
Monument
Porcelain Wings
Masses of a Dying Breed
Colossal
Architect
Relentless Chaos
-------
Forgive and Forget

i think Miss May I has potential to become a bigger band. they've been gaining a bigger fanbase within the past year. plus the new album Monument was a big step from Apologies Are For The Weak imo. supposedly this band is playing Warped Tour next year. i definitely see them getting bigger after doing that tour.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Regretting my username

Last time I saw them play was in Jerod (the drummer) Boyd's basement two years ago. Definitely need to see them the next time they come home to Ohio. I definitely think they're at the top of their genre, whatever that may be.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 PM

i see them as a metalcore band, but with a lot of thrash influence and focusing more on metal elements rather than hardcore elements (constant chug chug riffs and breakdowns) even though they do have breakdowns.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 11-12-2010, 03:07 PM
We're dying on the inside

Old 11-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Did The Crimson Armada play at this show? I think they are the first band on. Very good band and really chill guys. I like Miss May I as well,but the openers are really bad except for TCA, so I am going to skip this show when it comes to MA.
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 11-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Did The Crimson Armada play at this show? I think they are the first band on. Very good band and really chill guys. I like Miss May I as well,but the openers are really bad except for TCA, so I am going to skip this show when it comes to MA.
yeah they did but my group got there right after they had finished. i had never listened to them before so i wasn't that disappointed in missing them. i'll check 'em out later to see what i missed.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X

Tags
miss may i