Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-31-2010, 01:34 AM
Altars of Radness

Suffocation -- Pomona, CA -- October 30th, 2010

As I expected, this ended up being a pretty awesome show. I arrived around 4 to see some of the local bands opening the show. Unfortunately, I didn't know who all of the bands were beforehand. As I walked in the second band was setting up. I read their name on the lineup at the box office and knew this was going to be a disaster. I Hear They Burn for Murder had the absolute worst guitar tone I've ever heard. Their vocalist did mostly pig squeals with some high pitched screams thrown in. They played a lot of breakdowns in the one song I sat through before deciding to go take a walk outside. I was very thankful that the Glasshouse allows re-entry. Otherwise I might have killed myself before I saw any of the bands I came for.

Next up was Invection, a retro thrash band from Oakland. I can't stand most of the retro thrash bands out there, but I have a soft spot for Invection. Their new EP is actually pretty decent. They have some talent and I can definitely see them getting signed to Earache in the near future. Unfortunately the kick drum sounded terrible live. It was distracting during their set. They did get the crowd going though. I'll be looking out for their full length when it's released.
  1. Derealization
  2. Invection
  3. Stunted Survival
  4. Impulsive Violence
  5. Drug Justice
  6. Two Faced Lie

The next local band was Jhambi. I hadn't heard of these guys, so I thought I'd give them a chance. When I saw them setting up a keyboard on stage I had a bad feeling, and I should have just gone with it and went outside. Once again I made it through one song before my ears could stand no more.

Ossification was the last local band for the night. I've seen these guys twice before and I like them. They play brutal death metal in the style of Disgorge. Some technicality and heavy riffs mixed in. They put on a solid performance, although one of the guitarists was a bit sloppy.

Now Fleshgod Apocalypse was setting up. Honestly, I can't say I'm a fan of them. I can see their talent, but the music just doesn't click for me for some reason. I thought I might like them more after seeing them live, but I didn't. However, they were very tight and their drummer was a monster behind the kit. Sorry I do not know what they played.

Now it was time for Decrepit Birth. I always enjoy seeing them and this time was no exception. I was pleased with the set, recognizing the old material and also having some good new songs. I was a bit disappointed with the crowd though. The pit was hardly moving for most of the set, which I found odd, because the pits for Decrepit Birth have been intense every other time I've seen them. Anyway, they put on a great performance as usual.
  1. Prelude to the Apocalypse
  2. The Resonance
  3. The Infestation
  4. Diminishing Between Worlds
  5. Metatron
  6. Symbiosis

After Decrepit Birth, Through the Eyes of the Dead took the stage. It seems like most of the metal tours these days have a deathcore band stuck on them somewhere, so I was a bit happy to see these guys instead of Carnifex for the thousandth time. While they do have breakdowns, they are scarce in comparison to most of the deathcore scene, and unlike those bands, Through the Eyes of the Dead writes some decent riffs. I am taking this setlist from a previous show posted on setlist.fm. I am pretty sure they played the same songs.
  1. As Good as Dead
  2. No Haven
  3. Perpetual Defilement
  4. Pull the Trigger
  5. Dementia
  6. Failure in the Flesh

Now The Faceless was up. I've seen them a couple times before and they do not disappoint. The new song sounded great and I was also happy that they played Pestilence. I'll be looking forward to their next album and seeing them on tour again.
  1. Planetary Duality I (Hideous Revelation)
  2. Planetary Duality II (A Prophecies Fruition)
  3. Coldly Calculated Design
  4. XenoChrist
  5. Pestilence
  6. Eidolon Reality
  7. An Autopsy
  8. The Ancient Covenant

Lastly, the New York legends took over. Suffocation crushed the stage with their unbelievably heavy sound. They were spot on and Frank paced the stage like a demented killer while vomiting hideous lyrics and doing endless blast hands. Suffocation live is a bludgeoning force most comparable to being hit in the face with a sledgehammer until your head takes the form of a crater. They played a set consisting of mostly older (and their best) material. I was happy to hear a good deal of my favorite songs and a couple not-so-often played ones. If you ever have the chance to see these guys live, I strongly recommend doing so.
  1. Liege of Inveracity
  2. Suspended in Tribulation
  3. Thrones of Blood
  4. Cataclysmic Purification
  5. Entrails of You
  6. Pierced From Within
  7. Funeral Inception
  8. Blood Oath
  9. Effigy of the Forgotten
  10. Torn Into Enthrallment
  11. Infecting the Crypts

Suffocation had about 5 shirts ranging in price from $15 to $25. I didn't remember to take note of the specifics. They also had The Close of a Chapter live CD in the self-released version as well as the Relapse release. Sorry I don't remember the prices of the other bands merch, but I know Decrepit Birth had all three of their albums for sale.

Last edited by treghet; 11-01-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added Invection set
Old 10-31-2010, 08:12 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?! THEY PLAYED Torn into Enthrallment!!!! nooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I cannot believe i ended up missing this show....there is no reason for me to have missed this show, i have no excuse for my poor decision making

wow....they fucking played Torn into Enthrallment, if they added mass obliteration that would have been an epic setlist, kina bummed they didnt play Breeding the Spawn.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:23 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

The fact that they're opening with Liege of Inveracity makes me kick myself for missing this show.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Now I am become Death. The destroyer of worlds.

You guys both fail.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

You guys should have just drove up to Hollywood on Halloween. Sick show.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Altars of Radness

Did they play the same set in Hollywood?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Now I am become Death. The destroyer of worlds.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer666 View Post
i hear they burn for murder were pretty good.i dont think there is anything wrong with thier name and as far as thier live show they played really tight,the gutair was fine and the singer had alot of energy as well as the whole band.the drummer was pretty good and whats wrong with having some breakdowns?are all bands soppose to play nothing but fast and sound the same?i dont think so.get a clue.
http://www.myspace.com/escapeyourfate1 I Hear They Burn for Murder.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Did they play the same set in Hollywood?
Suffocation did play the same set. I think DB played the same set. I know Fleshgod played Blinded by Fear, Through our Scars, and In Honour of our Reason, but I really don't know their music too well.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer666 View Post
next up the faceless.never scene them either.
Maybe if you knew how to spell then you would appreciate Fleshgod Apocalypse and Decrepit Birth.

Tags
decrepit birth, suffocation, the faceless, through the eyes of the dead