Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Part I:
Tankcrimes is one of the best underground labels out there, I feel the same way about their punk/thrash releases as I do NWN!'s black metal(basically it can be almost assured that any record put out will be, if not amazing, at least interesting enough to warrant a few listens.) I'd been looking forward to the Brainsqueeze since it was announced, due to it's amazing lineup, but I was a bit weary because of how mediocre my experiences at the Oakland Metro had been for the last thrash festival (Slaughter by the Water) and how off put I am but the 'neo-thrash' scene, and feared with the presence of the Waste this would be a repeat of the festival. Luckily I was completely wrong. Every band that played was fantastic. I can also say with total certainty, that the crowd, at least during the final bands, was the greatest crowd I have ever been in. The venue was also laid out differently, with all the booths and tables removed from the concert area and put into a side building, giving it much more of a festival feeling. Instead of some boring 'metal DJ' host, we had the amazing Scotty 'Karate' Heath from Tankcrimes hosting the event. The whole experience was something to remember.
My two friends and I arrived at 4:30, which happened to be before many of the bands(show started at 7) because we wanted to be sure to be one of the first "hundred nerds" to get "free shit " and while we spent a long time sitting in front of the venue it was totally worth it. About 20 minutes into our wait Ghoul arrived to pick up their costumes and whatnot from the night before, and so Kyle (seen in the picture) gave Sean McGrath some of my bands stickers (Sean did our logo) and took a picture with Killbot's head, which was awesome. We also spoke with Joel Grind who enjoyed, and apparently had never seen my bootleg Evil Never Dies shirt. Scotty was actually the first person to talk with us and told us that the night before had been a huge success, with an 800 person crowd that ended up pushing the show until 1 AM.
Probably around 6 people actually started to show up and by about 6:30 there was a line going to the end of the block. At that point Scotty came out and gave the first hundred their free shit, which turned out to be a Ramming Speed bottle opener and 2 patches from random Tankcrimes bands (which was great because I ended up with a Cannabis Corpse patch.) Then to make it even cooler, Tony from Municipal Waste came out and gave my friends and I free bandannas for being the first in line (fuckin' awesome, but being in Oakland wearing a red bandanna outside wouldn't have been the smartest move.)
Once inside it was awhile before any of the bands took to the stage, but there was a cool merch area with a ton of awesome records (which I probably would have looked through more had I had money) and a lot of awesome people and band members milling about. Only downside was the lack of any food, but I never really got that hungry until the show had ended.

...and I'll actually post musical reviews in a bit haha.

Last edited by Wizzbang11; 10-10-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

First night was awesome, all the bands ripped especially ANS and Ghoul, look out for Ghoul pics/vids when they start showing up. Second night didn't have the same energy but Vitamin X were a cool surprise for me. Waste were okay, impromptu Boner City jam with the chicks raging all over the stage was fun though. Good times all around.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:52 PM

Part II:
Face the Rail were pretty good. I remember listening to one of their songs online and being very unimpressed, but live they were significantly better. They were a punk band with frequent kinda weird rock riffs (ala Funerot) and their singer sounded exactly like Ian MacKaye. Crowd was pretty non responsive during their set, but they had barely anyone in attendance compared to the other bands.
Population Reduction are amazing. Every time I see them it's a great time. Not only do they bring devastating thrash/grind, but they also happen to have what I believe to be the best/funniest frontman in all of modern 'metal'. Seriously, the guy is fucking hilarious. Their set was short and sweet, and they didn't play Art Fucking Sucks. Towards the end they had Scotty come out and opened a bottle of champagne, that was kinda neat to see.
Ramming Speed are a very solid thrash band. They don't sound much like most of the thrash revival scene, which I appreciate, and they certainly have a ton of energy. I enjoyed their performance more than the last time I saw them, opening for Ghoul and Cannabis Corpse last year. Finally at this point the crowd started to pick up and there was a good amount of moshing and stagediving (not really comparable to the rest of the night, however) and during some of the songs some dude was skating in the pit, which I thought was pretty funny.
Deadfall was day II's Scotty Heath band, I hadn't heard them before but they were straight up hardcore punk. Very fucking good. Definitely some of the best energy of the night and they were really the first band that the crowd went wild for. Towards the end of the set I made my way back up to the front of the stage (where I had been during Pop Redux) and it was an intense pile of people fighting to get to the mic during the last few songs, but I was able to secure a spot for Toxic Holocaust.
This was my third time seeing Toxic Holocaust this year, and like usual Joel played a killer show. I am definitely getting tired of the Metal Attack/Reapers Grave EP/Assorted OoD songs which he has been touring with for the last few years, in fact off memory the set last night was the exact same that they played at Slaughter by the Water, minus March from Hell and Summon the Beast (two of the better songs...) Luckily I love almost all the TH material and they consistently play awesome concerts, so I'll probably continue to see TH every time they come to CA, even with the repetitive setlists. Stagedivers were fucking bad though, while I usually end up getting kicked in the face multiple times it was every other minute, and the same goddamn people too. Oh well, they had a blast and so did I.
I was pretty tired after the relentless crushing during Toxic so I stayed out of the pit and the front for Vitamin X, but I watched their set from the back. For modern hardcore bands at Brainsqueeze, I preferred Deadfall, but Vitamin X are definitely good at what they do. They were the first to bring out the inflatable raft and the crowd went crazy for them. It was hard to understand a lot of what the guy was saying, they are from the Netherlands I think, but I believe a lot of the songs were Straight Edge oriented, sometime which Municipal Waste took the opportunity to give them a small bit of harassment over a few times during their set.
I must disagree with ADD, I thought MW were fucking awesome and easily the best band of the night. The first time I saw them last year does not even come close to the greatness of their Brainsqueeze set, and I actually preferred the songs of the first time. I was not there for night one, I live in Monterey and could only get up for one night, and having seen Ghoul a bunch before opted for the MW headlined date, but I thought the energy was the best I have ever seen at a show. Absolutely massive circle pits that were an absolute blast (today I'd be regretting that part if it weren't for the amount of fun I had at the time) and stagediving non stop, including Tony jumping off the speakers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEq2lN2fTrQ) and almost the whole crowd chanting the lyrics to every song is something I will never forget. It felt just like the videos of Municipal Waste in Richmond, they completely shatter every other 'party thrash' band's atmosphere. I had lost a lot of faith with the Waste after Massive Aggressive, and while the first time was fun it certainly did not live up to the legendary shows, but now I will back them to the end. They were fucking fantastic.
It also may have helped that there was a satisfying lack of the retro-Bonded by Blood/Evile crowd which I had expected with MW.
In the end it just ruled. One of the best shows I have seen.

Last edited by Wizzbang11; 10-10-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:43 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Wow. This sort of festival makes me wish I lived in San Fran (or some other metal hotspot). Sounds incredibly awesome.

I've never listened to Pop Redux but I just saw a CD of theirs at some independent record store. If I had money on me I would've picked that up probably.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Population Reduction (included):
Hash Smoking Grind Freaks
Taking Bong Rips in the Tombs of the Blind Dead
Plague of the Artist
Babies are Assholes
Amish Meth Dealer
Cannabis Holocaust
Still no Art Fucking Sucks...
Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Still no Art Fucking Sucks...
Haha I really hope there is a video of it, because my friend Kyle yelled at them almost every song and got a response almost every time. He took Dustin's(-guy Ryan met at a different show who wanted Art Fucking Sucks-) initiative and went with Art Fucking Sucks and after the show the guitarist went up to Kyle and said "Dude, I swear to god we'll play it next time!"
So hopefully it'll be in there. They are awesome dudes.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Bobb O)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
May I remind you that this had the greatest commercial ever.
yup, every time i see this thread i mutter to myself "TANKCRIMES- BRAINSQUEEEEEZZEEEEE"
10/4-Melvins
Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt11763 View Post
yup, every time i see this thread i mutter to myself "TANKCRIMES- BRAINSQUEEEEEZZEEEEE"

Crustys!
Punks!
Hipsters!
Metal Heads!
Thrashers!
Rerto Thrashers!
Retro Retro Thrashers!
Scumbuckets!
Tweekers!
ARE ALL WELCOME!
Juggalos-STAY HOME!
9/12-Samhain/Goatwhore
10/31-King Diamond
Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
(fuckin' awesome, but being in Oakland wearing a red bandanna outside wouldn't have been the smartest move.)
he he he
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 10-10-2010, 09:43 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
May I remind you that this had the greatest commercial ever.
Best commercial ever! Hopefully there is another festival next year.

Tags
deadfall, municipal waste, population reduction, toxic holocaust, vitamin x