Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Old 10-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned Asshole

It doesn't make any sense that you're saying that Blackguard has oversaturated the market, when you yourself have still yet to see them live.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magson13 View Post
It doesn't make any sense that you're saying that Blackguard has oversaturated the market, when you yourself have still yet to see them live.
I'm seeing them on Halloween with Nevermore.

It does make sense in the overall scheme. They've been here a few times. Last time on the Soilwork/Death Angel tour. I had to miss that show. But like Mutiny within it's 3 times in 6 months they've been here. That's quite a lot.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Unhealer

I did watch a video interview with Paul a few nights ago where he said that they were going to get on "something big" in April - my immediate guess was the Symphony X tour...

I don't think Soilwork will be my thang (I really would have preferred Candlemass!), but I'll definitely give them a chance, since the rest of the lineup is pretty awesome. NEW ENGLAND DATE PLZ.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
In Search of Truth

Speaking of oversaturation, I've managed to go over 2 years without seeing Into Eternity now. Damn. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for being jinxed. Still can't believe a band I don't even like holds my #2 spot for band I've seen the most times, tied with Maiden at SIX.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Speaking of oversaturation, I've managed to go over 2 years without seeing Into Eternity now. Damn. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for being jinxed. Still can't believe a band I don't even like holds my #2 spot for band I've seen the most times, tied with Maiden at SIX.
i get what you mean (not as often though). Seen Leave's Eyes twice...tied with Maiden and Symphony X which is quite sad imo. Only Rush is ahead of them all with 3 times haha
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Unhealer

I've actually never seen Into Eternity! I wonder how I pulled that off. I will, however, have seen Blackguard five times by the end of 2010, and it'll make 6 next year if they're on this tour...
Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
I've actually never seen Into Eternity! I wonder how I pulled that off. I will, however, have seen Blackguard five times by the end of 2010, and it'll make 6 next year if they're on this tour...
I think one or two of my times seeing IE may have been regional, not part of an actual tour. They were, as I recall:

-Edguy/Hammerfall - New York, NY - August 16th, 2005
-Stratovarius - Philadelphia, PA - September 20th, 2005
-Gamma Ray - New York, NY - May 1st, 2006
-Edguy - New York, NY - September 16th, 2007
-Iced Earth - Philadelphia, PA - September 24th, 2008

...I think the one I can't remember was with Symphony X in either 2007 or 2008. If anyone knows, helps me out. I've done my best to block them out.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 PM
N00B

Think they were with Symphony X the second leg when Epica was the main opener. They were crap if i remember correctly.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Into Eternity toured with Symphony X in 2008. Epica was also on the lineup. i enjoy Into Eternity and can't really figure out why people hate them so much, maybe it's because they've seen them as an opening band too many times.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 10-11-2010, 08:51 PM
In Search of Truth

Yeah, with SX in 08 sounds right. Thanks.

For me, the hatred is mostly oversaturation, because six times is WAY too many times to see a band you don't like to begin with. I've seen that band play a total of about 3 and a half hours. Ridiculous.

But overall it's just not my thing at all. I didn't give them MUCH of a shot on studio recordings, but it came off as very prog-for-the-sake-of-prog when it tried to be progressive - the songs just came off sounding random to me, like they threw 6 parts in a blender and made a song. And the vocals... don't get me started. I hate that Stu Block's vocals like you can't believe. Tim Roth sounded like both a better clean vocalist AND growler from what I can remember. Again, I don't have anything to compare it to really, but they sounded pretty damn sloppy most of the times I saw them.