Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 AM
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...

Porcupine Tree -- New York, NY -- September 24th, 2010

Source: Myself

Just got back from NYC after a great weekend. I'll write up a full review later. So far it's my show of the year by a mile. Radio City has forever changed my view on venues.

Set 1: Acoustic
Stranger By The Minute
Small Fish
Pure Narcotic
Black Dahlia
Futile
------------------
Set 2 and on: Electric
Even Less
Open Car
Lazarus
Tinto Brass
The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase One)
I Drive the Hearse
Bonnie the Cat
-------------------
Occam's Razor
The Blind House
Great Expectations
Kneel and Disconnect
Drawing the Line
Dislocated Day
Time Flies
Anesthetize
Up the Downstair
Sleep Together
------------------------
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Pallbearer: 10/28
Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 AM
not a N00B

I want to slam my head against a wall for missing this. FUCK.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM
PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?

OH MY GOD! I really don't know to react to this. One, I just saw them and thought they were done playing in the US for a while. Two, that is the GREATEST setlist I have ever seen from them (Although adding Trains and Fadeaway would make it that much more perfect). Stranger By The Minute, Arriving Somewhere, Anesthetize, Time Flies, Sky Moves, Up the Downstair, Dislocated Day in the same set?!!?!?! This easily would have been the best concert of my life. You lucky bastard! How long was the set, 2 1/2 hours?

Please tell me they said they were filming this for a DVD

Last edited by petrovar; 09-27-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:22 AM
The guy behind the guy, behind the guy

This is what every setlist should look like. I thought it was very ambitious to start acoustically. Usually you expect a huge opening, but the guys in PT really made it work. And FUTILE?! Hell yea. Loved that acoustic. And the electric stuff sounded great as usual. The sound was well balanced and the venue was great.

I'm really glad that Steve Wilson hasn't forgotten about the fans that like all of the music and not just post-In Absentia material. I was starting to get worried that was happening. But nope, they threw in the old with the new...the whole show was stellar but particular highlights for me were Dislocated Day, Sky Moves Sideways, Up The Downstair, Sleep Together, Futile, Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, and Tinto Brass...I was losing it. And so were a few others around me, but to tell you the truth, the shows would be even more fun if the energy in the crowd was more electric. As soon as an ambient tune or something unfamiliar is played...people sit down. Kind of a downer when people are shouting at you to sit. I stand anyway Do they not realize they are playing Up The Friggin' Downstair??!! Maybe they wanted Trains? Who knows.

All I know is that this show was the best of the year for me and I hope a lot of others too. My brother and I were out of our seats and grooving the whole time. I hope that Steve Wilson and the guys realize that they got an awesome response from a different and well rounded setlist. It's important to represent your whole repetoire in a live setting so that people can appreciate everything you've done and it makes the show interesting. There are bands out there that play the same set every evening and it gets boring. So thank you Porcupine Tree for an a amazing show!

Last edited by LIVEtoROCK86; 09-27-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEtoROCK86 View Post
This is what every setlist should look like. I thought it was very ambitious to start acoustically. Usually you expect a huge opening, but the guys in PT really made it work. And FUTILE?! Hell yea. Loved that acoustic. And the electric stuff sounded great as usual. The sound was well balanced and the venue was great.

I'm really glad that Steve Wilson hasn't forgotten about the fans that like all of the music and not just post-In Absentia material. I was starting to get worried that was happening. But nope, they threw in the old with the new...the whole show was stellar but particular highlights for me were Dislocated Day, Sky Moves Sideways, Up The Downstair, Sleep Together, Futile, Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, and Tinto Brass...I was losing it. And so were a few others around me, but to tell you the truth, the shows would be even more fun if the energy in the crowd was more electric. As soon as an ambient tune or something unfamiliar is played...people sit down. Kind of a downer when people are shouting at you to sit. I stand anyway Do they not realize they are playing Up The Friggin' Downstair??!! Maybe they wanted Trains? Who knows.

All I know is that this show was the best of the year for me and I hope a lot of others too. My brother and I were out of our seats and grooving the whole time. I hope that Steve Wilson and the guys realize that they got an awesome response from a different and well rounded setlist. It's important to represent your whole repetoire in a live setting so that people can appreciate everything you've done and it makes the show interesting. There are bands out there that play the same set every evening and it gets boring. So thank you Porcupine Tree for an a amazing show!
I agree with everything you said. I just can't comprehend that set and how awesome it would be to see. Did you have any idea going in they were going to do something like this?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Altars of Radness

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD THAT SET IS ORGASMIC.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 AM
The guy behind the guy, behind the guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovar View Post
I agree with everything you said. I just can't comprehend that set and how awesome it would be to see. Did you have any idea going in they were going to do something like this?
Well this was a one off show, so I figured they might do something special. My brother saw them the night after his college graduation a few months ago and Steven Wilson said to the crowd that they were finishing up the whole Incident thing and that the tour was ending soon, but that there'd be one show in NYC and that everyone should go check it out. I think that was it. So he somewhat alluded to it.

This is the type of band where they can't play a similar set each night...could you imagine if they did two nights in NYC and the second night they did something like Voyage 34, Radioactive Toy, Deadwing, Last Chance To Evacuate Earth Before It Is Recycled, Signify??...i'd die. I don't see bands twice on a tour because they play the same set. You know what to expect. I got into Phish because you can follow them...each night the set is completelyyy different. If PT did that, I'd be at as many shows as possible. Or even someone like Rush because they have a huge catalog. Forget it!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM
False love turned to pure hate

holy moses! How long did they play for? 3 hours+ ??
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
That Guy

Just heard that the showed was recorded for CD/Download. Hopefully Spring 2011.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Just heard that the showed was recorded for CD/Download. Hopefully Spring 2011.

Where did you hear? No DVD? (Not to be greedy)

Tags
porcupine tree