Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014

Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
They play instrumental post-rock using a lot of unique instrumentation such as strings (violin and cello) and samples and such. They are a large group (membership runs around eight or nine people at any given time, plus or minus a few), and they tend to use a lot of graphic art in their live performences. I guess you could say they are somewhat like Neurosis, only a whole lot mellower and more orchestral. Their music sounds a lot like soundtrack music, and in fact one of their songs was used in the movie "28 Days Later" (although it was pretty heavily modified for the movie soundtrack).

They're not for everybody - that's for sure - but I think they'd be amazing to see live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt11763 View Post
sounds pretty interesting, i'll definitely check them out
I enjoy them best at night, usually while reading or something. If you have long periods of time where you can focus on the music, it's incredible.

Seeing them live is going to be weird, because I've never seen a post-rock show before...
Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 PM
We're dying on the inside

I'm not trying to be a shit-stirrer here, and I'm as big a post-rock fan as anyone on here except Natty, but there is no more fucking overrated band in post-rock than GY!BE. Somehow, everyone can name them and that's why people get the impression that they're the best band in the genre or something. Not even fucking close.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'm not trying to be a shit-stirrer here, and I'm as big a post-rock fan as anyone on here except Natty, but there is no more fucking overrated band in post-rock than GY!BE. Somehow, everyone can name them and that's why people get the impression that they're the best band in the genre or something. Not even fucking close.
I don't know if I'd name them the best band in Post-Rock, but that is because of the underrated-ness of bands like Sigur Ros, Moonlit Sailor, A Silver Mt Zion, Yndi Halda, etc. I wouldn't say GY!BE are overrated, but I don't think they deserve more repect they are getting. I consider this band to be absolutely brilliant in every way. I don't see how people can jam other instru-post-rock and not like stuff like F♯A♯∞ or Skinny Fists.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:07 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Godspeed You! Fonzy...
I've never even heard of this band.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Wait a while. Both of you just hang on a sec.

Here's the deal.

Wine is wrong because he's allowing Brad to compare GY!BE to other post-rock. Brad is wrong for doing it (and I'll get around to explaining that in a minute). Wine is also wrong for saying that if folks like other post-rock that they'll like GY!BE...and here's the mistake everybody is making:

GY!BE are instrumental post-rock, that's true. So are Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Caspian, Red Sparowes and a bunch of other stuff.

However...

The differences are FUCKING HUGE.

GY!BE is most often slow, and infinitely expansive...almost noise-rock at times because of the lack of tempo in certain parts. Most of the other aforementioned stuff has a beat and some sort of structure to it. It has a pulse. Even if it's slow, it has rhythm throughout every song. GY!BE oftentimes does not. GY!BE is even more atmospheric than 99% of other post-rock. It is generally way more experimental than most other post-rock. GY!BE songs are incredibly long (even by post-rock standards), and are almost always more akin to full orchestral arrangements - they often even have movements within them. For all their sprawling glory, most other post-rock songs do not really fit this description - at least, not like GY!BE does. Speaking of "orchestral", even though most post-rock bands may go outside the box from time to time (pedal steel guitar for Red Sparowes, xylophone for Caspian, keyboards for TWDY), using non-rock instrumentation is THE NORM for GY!BE. They have eight or nine musicians on board at any one time, and oftentimes they switch instruments (sometimes several times) within songs.

The list of differences goes on and on, but I think you get the point.

GY!BE is way the fuck different from just about 99% of all other post-rock, and therefore, comparisons are rather futile.

Having said this, I think I also know why Brad has a bee in his bonnet about GY!BE. Due to their sprawling orchestral arrangements, and large ensemble size, and hyper-experimental nature, and the whole lot of other factors which set them apart from almost all of their so-called "peers", they tend to appeal to a very select group of fans - I'll call them "Über Hipsters". I myself despise these people, as I'm guessing Brad does (personally, I think he's a bit more of a hipster himself than he'd be willing to admit - but certainly he's no Über Hipster ). These people can be stand-offish, self-absorbed and pretentious. They think you suck. They think their sense of hyper-irony makes them the coolest thing since Antarctica. In short, they are fuckwads...and a lot of them are super-turned-on by bands like GY!BE.

Myself - I can't stand these douchebags. However, I don't judge GY!BE by their fans. I judge them solely by what I hear coming out of the speakers, and that's it (ya hear that, Manks? Get over the shitbirds you know who like TOOL and give the FUCKING MUSIC a chance!).

I think GY!BE are amazing. I think they'd be even more amazing live. I also feel the same way about some of their sister projects such as A Silver Mt. Zion and Esmerine.

That is all.

[/rant]

Last edited by Natrlhi; 09-17-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:21 PM
We're dying on the inside

Erudite analysis, but I just don't really like them, and I'm not sure there's much else to it. I'm not trying to compare them to bands like Red Sparowes and Explosions in the Sky, either. They're clearly a different kind of post-rock band. But I like a number of the "weirder" post-rock bands like Godspeed - hell, I like A Silver Mt. Zion.

I guess I just don't get what the hubbub is about. Maybe it's more than other bands are underrated than that GY!BE are overrated, as Wine suggested, but I can't force myself to get excited about this tour one bit.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Wine is wrong because he's allowing Brad to compare GY!BE to other post-rock. Brad is wrong for doing it (and I'll get around to explaining that in a minute). Wine is also wrong for saying that if folks like other post-rock that they'll like GY!BE...and here's the mistake everybody is making:

GY!BE are instrumental post-rock, that's true. So are Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Caspian, Red Sparowes and a bunch of other stuff.
I believe I used instrumental post-rock in the sense of, if you like instrumental post-rock, you will very very likely appreciate GY!BE. I believe it would have been wrong for me to assume that all post-rock fans will like GY!BE, but that's not what I said. I don't understand what would draw someone to another instrumental post rock band like Explosions in the Sky but would make a person say "No thanks" to GY!BE, although you may have answered that in saying that the fans are a major turn off.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:26 PM
That Guy

There is more dates TBA!

If you haven't heard GY!BE, check out World Police on youtube. The MOst intense peice of music ever written. Starts off so slow, then gradually into HHHOOLLLYYYFFFUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I guess I just don't get what the hubbub is about.
I couldn't either for a while, and because of the stuff I mentioned in my rant, I almost dismissed them myself. Then I went back a while later and listened - really listened hard - for myself. I found a lot of hidden, pent-up energy and creative undertones that I had missed before due mainly to my distaste for the pretentious aura of the band and their fans. It was then that I decided that many of the fans are pricks, the band themselves - who knows 'cuz I've never met them, and the music itself...fascinating. It challenges the shit out of you at times, that's for sure, but moments like the eleventh minute or so of the absolutely epic "East Hastings" is so worth the wait (and it's not the same at all without the buildup of the previous ten minutes).

....and to Wine: I didn't mean to be condescending or anything - I just get passionate sometimes. I just think that I totally get how someone could like all other post-rock and not GY!BE, just because that someone was me for quite a while (if for no other reason).
Old 09-16-2010, 06:50 PM
N00B

Quote:
Brad does (personally, I think he's a bit more of a hipster himself then he'd be willing to admit - but certainly he's no Über Hipster )
i dont know about Ohio, but where i come from, these are fightin' words