Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014

Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I've seen them on 4 shows now discussing this and how natural it was. Seriously? Sheep! I don't give a fuck what the story was it was not a heat of the moment moment it was a let's get on Dr. Phil moment and it worked masterfully because people are naive sheep. Don't be fooled Dude. Who does that? Seriously think about it. Would you help your girlfriend up or pick her up and get the fuck out of there or would you look up, see cameras and make a kodak moment? Do you really think they didn't know cameras were there? Really Dude?

As far as the series Vancouver totally dominated in my eyes. They has so many chances to score and anything but the best goalie on the planet lets up at least 3 goals that last game. Thomas was amazing and if he wasn't on a whole nother level, vancouver wins that series all day. He was other worldly! One of the best goaltending performances I've ever seen. My respect level for that guy couldn't possibly be higher right now.
Wow. First off, you need to sit down and take a deep breath if you're that pissed off about a silly photo. Maybe channel that anger to the douchenozzles that trashed the city instead.

Secondly, you can talk about scoring chances all you want, but I can't possibly see how you can say that a team that was outscored 23-8 in the series "dominated." Yes, Tim Thomas was the difference maker, but you can't put everything on the goalies. When you lose 8-1, you have problems that go far beyond goaltending.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Wow. First off, you need to sit down and take a deep breath if you're that pissed off about a silly photo. Maybe channel that anger to the douchenozzles that trashed the city instead.

Secondly, you can talk about scoring chances all you want, but I can't possibly see how you can say that a team that was outscored 23-8 in the series "dominated." Yes, Tim Thomas was the difference maker, but you can't put everything on the goalies. When you lose 8-1, you have problems that go far beyond goaltending.
As far as the photo when I posted my thoughts initially it was more out of disgust that I was going to have to hear the origin and the bullshit story that was going to be sold to the media to get them on every talkshow in North America. Never in a million years did I expect someone to drink the kool aid and buy that idiotic story and defend these assclowns. So when I read that my disgust turned to bewilderment actually.

You can talk goal numbers but the shots on goal and especially QUALITY shots on goal was a total landslide. My point was if Thomas were the Goalie for Vancouver the series might not go 6 games. He made magnificent save after magnificent save. Luongo on the other hand was a total sieve.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:25 PM

It's pointless to talk up the stats sheet when the team in question gets shut out 4-0. Yes, Thomas was standing on his head. But the Canucks' powerplay was atrocious and they took shitty penalties. They got outplayed, regardless of how many shots they took.

And yes, I can "talk goal numbers," because the last time I checked your name doesn't get engraved on the Cup if you don't score more goals than the other team.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:42 PM
In Search of Truth

You can talk whatever stats you want, but at the end of the day, the goalies determined the series. If Thomas played for Vancouver and Luongo for Boston, I would bet all my possessions on the outcome being switched. And yes, I know: "HUR DUR Well Boston won, so nitpicking is irrelevant" - but I disagree, there's a LOT more to analyze than who won or lost, or the exact number of goals scored. Truth be told, the way Luongo played through the majority of that series, a good half of the teams in the league would've lit him up.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:03 PM

I dunno, maybe I'm more sensitive than most to this situation, because the Caps are often in the same boat (in terms of people saying "they dominated the game, even though they lost"). It's slightly different, since goaltending is rarely a serious problem for us, but I think it's a simplistic excuse that ignores more pressing issues and mistakes.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I dunno, maybe I'm more sensitive than most to this situation, because the Caps are often in the same boat (in terms of people saying "they dominated the game, even though they lost"). It's slightly different, since goaltending is rarely a serious problem for us, but I think it's a simplistic excuse that ignores more pressing issues and mistakes.
While I agree totally with Maiden as a Caps fan also it was easy to see why we lost to Tampa. They sinply wanted it more. They skated circles around us, beating us to every loose puck and just looking like they were in total desperation mode the entire series. Ovie needs to stay out of the bars and hopefully next year someone else steps up. So many players vanished during that series that it was sickening to me.

I'm not trying to give 100% of the credit to Tim Thomas but 70% isn't far off. He was beyond incredible. 4-0 doesn't mean much to me when if Vancouver had just scored 1 of those early "incredible save" goals it would have changed the entire flow of the game. Once they got down 2-0 they knew they were done. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I can't stop thinking big

A goalie can be the difference between losing in the first round and being a Cup champion, and it sure as hell was here. Let's not forget, Boston won two Game 7's prior to the Finals, and against two really good goalies to boot. Thomas outplayed Carey Price in Game 7 of round 1 (Bruins won in OT), then outplayed Dwayne Roloson in the conference finals (Bruins won 1-0).

As a Wings fan, I have seen many, many instances in the playoffs where I thought we were the better team, but their goalie stood on his head and the opponent was opportunistic in their chances to score. Examples include JS Giguere carrying the Anaheim Mighty Ducks from a 7th seed all the way to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2003, Miikka Kiprusoff doing the same thing for the Calgary Flames in 2004, and Dwayne Roloson accomplishing this same feat in 2006, when the Edmonton Oilers were the EIGHTH seed. Your goalie really can steal more than a game for you in the playoffs.

This is what happened in the finals. Hell, Boston almost stole one or both of the first two games in Vancouver. But they kept grinding away and finally got Luongo and the Canucks to crack. Full credit to them. It was a pretty big upset in my eyes.
7/18 - Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper
Old 06-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRedWing13 View Post
A goalie can be the difference between losing in the first round and being a Cup champion, and it sure as hell was here. Let's not forget, Boston won two Game 7's prior to the Finals, and against two really good goalies to boot. Thomas outplayed Carey Price in Game 7 of round 1 (Bruins won in OT), then outplayed Dwayne Roloson in the conference finals (Bruins won 1-0).

As a Wings fan, I have seen many, many instances in the playoffs where I thought we were the better team, but their goalie stood on his head and the opponent was opportunistic in their chances to score. Examples include JS Giguere carrying the Anaheim Mighty Ducks from a 7th seed all the way to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2003, Miikka Kiprusoff doing the same thing for the Calgary Flames in 2004, and Dwayne Roloson accomplishing this same feat in 2006, when the Edmonton Oilers were the EIGHTH seed. Your goalie really can steal more than a game for you in the playoffs.

This is what happened in the finals. Hell, Boston almost stole one or both of the first two games in Vancouver. But they kept grinding away and finally got Luongo and the Canucks to crack. Full credit to them. It was a pretty big upset in my eyes.
This
Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRedWing13 View Post
But they kept grinding away and finally got Luongo and the Canucks to crack.
Honestly, this isn't that big a feat. Chicago has done it the past three years (don't forget Vancouver was an overtime goal away from being eliminated in the first round this year). That's why I never bought into the hype of Vancouver being the Cup favourites. The Bruins didn't 'grind away' at the Canucks, they simply played their game and the inevitable happened - Luongo shit his pants, the 'deep' Vancouver defense disappeared and all their players got frustrated and off their game. The Canucks of today are basically the Senators of a few years ago - play big in the regular season and get smaller and smaller with every successive playoff round.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
As hockey season is quickly approaching, anybody have any thoughts on what we'll see this year?

I don't think my beloved Blackhawks will repeat this year, but they'll be among the best in the West again. The Leafs will suck only slightly less than last year. My pick for the Cup is Boston -- would be nice to see another Original 6 team take it.
I kinda forgot I said this, but there it is lol