Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014

  #21  
Old 08-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Wizzbang11's Avatar
Wizzbang11 Wizzbang11 is offline
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Monterey CA
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Ask Martin van Drunen himself - he'll confirm it for you:

THE NAT IS RIGHT, FUCKFACE!!!


See, I told ya.
Fuck, guess I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Leviathan's Avatar
Leviathan Leviathan is offline
Sleepwell Deconstructor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 66
Top 5 OSDM is definitely...

Entombed- Left Hand Path
Incantation- Onward to Golgotha
Dismember- Like an Everflowing Stream
Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness
Carcass- Symphonies of Sickness

I'm probably forgetting some but my favs are probably tied between Onward to Golgotha and Left Hand Path.

Onward to Golgotha is basically the most underrated death metal gem ever!
__________________
Strands of descent and finite life spans.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 AM
christopher's Avatar
christopher christopher is offline
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 5,928
HOW DARE YOU FORGET SEVEN CHURCHES BY POSSESSED!!! One of the best old school death metal albums ever!

I'm glad Pestilence was mentioned...

Also...

Vital Remains - Let Us Pray
Repulsion - Horrified
Sodom - In the Sign of Evil
Archgoat - Anglecunt
Sadistic Intent - Impending Doom
__________________
Who needs a god when you've got Big Macs?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Wizzbang11's Avatar
Wizzbang11 Wizzbang11 is offline
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Monterey CA
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegantopher View Post
HOW DARE YOU FORGET SEVEN CHURCHES BY POSSESSED!!! One of the best old school death metal albums ever!

I'm glad Pestilence was mentioned...

Also...

Vital Remains - Let Us Pray
Repulsion - Horrified
Sodom - In the Sign of Evil
Archgoat - Anglecunt
Sadistic Intent - Impending Doom
Possessed- don't get me wrong, it's good, I just for some reason identify it as a more death/thrash thing in my mind and tend not to lump it in with osdm.
(ironic because I made a death/thrash list, I know...)
Vital Remains- Only heard Dechristianize and Icons of Evil.
Sodom- One of my favorite bands(/releases) ever, not a death metal EP at all.
Archgoat- Didn't that come out in like 2000?
Sadistic Intent-Really good, but never listened to them enough.

Oh and I love Repulsion, but c'mon, that's grindcore all the way
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 AM
jhdeity's Avatar
jhdeity jhdeity is offline
Headbanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroRob View Post
Not death metal broski.
We need to have a debate one day as to why Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness and Bathory - UTSOTBM are so different that they belong in different categories. 2 of my 10 favorite albums ever made and I got your broski right here short bus. hahaha

Seriously though I consider Bathory black metal but what about Black metal makes it non-death metal? The lyrics?
__________________
9/27 - Clutch
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Wizzbang11's Avatar
Wizzbang11 Wizzbang11 is offline
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Monterey CA
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
We need to have a debate one day as to why Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness and Bathory - UTSOTBM are so different that they belong in different categories. 2 of my 10 favorite albums ever made and I got your broski right here short bus. hahaha

Seriously though I consider Bathory black metal but what about Black metal makes it non-death metal? The lyrics?
Really?
Ok, Bathory is extremely low fi, almost d-beat punky raw metal with simple dark guitar riffs, high distorted vocals that are lyrically based around satanic stuff.
Altars of Madness is insanely heavy, low, crushing yet clearly recorded death metal with intricate music, long complex songs and mid range vocals singing about satan.
Other than the fact that they are both 80's releases, are metal, and sing about satan they really are not at all in the same sub-genre of music.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
christopher's Avatar
christopher christopher is offline
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 5,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Possessed- don't get me wrong, it's good, I just for some reason identify it as a more death/thrash thing in my mind and tend not to lump it in with osdm.
(ironic because I made a death/thrash list, I know...)
Vital Remains- Only heard Dechristianize and Icons of Evil.
Sodom- One of my favorite bands(/releases) ever, not a death metal EP at all.
Archgoat- Didn't that come out in like 2000?
Sadistic Intent-Really good, but never listened to them enough.

Oh and I love Repulsion, but c'mon, that's grindcore all the way
I tend to lump the old school death/thrash and the old blackened death together a lot. But Possessed should always be on a list of top osdm bands.

If you haven't heard anything from Vital Remains other than the last two releases, then you are truly missing out. Thats some of their best shit right there.

Anglecunt came out in 1992. I know there is a big black metal sound in there, but it still has the death metal sound too.
__________________
Who needs a god when you've got Big Macs?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 AM
jhdeity's Avatar
jhdeity jhdeity is offline
Headbanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Really?
Ok, Bathory is extremely low fi, almost d-beat punky raw metal with simple dark guitar riffs, high distorted vocals that are lyrically based around satanic stuff.
Altars of Madness is insanely heavy, low, crushing yet clearly recorded death metal with intricate music, long complex songs and mid range vocals singing about satan.
Other than the fact that they are both 80's releases, are metal, and sing about satan they really are not at all in the same sub-genre of music.
Ok, I can agree with that. But then a band like Sodom who sings 80% about death/war and 20% about satan is considered black/thrash?

I'm just trying to figure out where/how these sub-genres were created and how the bands were put into their groups. Deathlike Silence, Chariots of Fire and Maze of Torment are back to back to back on a compliation cd I made years ago and as similar as they are to 98% of people they're in 3 different categories in all reality. Are these songs really that different in all reality? They're all 3 fast as hell.
__________________
9/27 - Clutch
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-23-2010, 12:06 PM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Ok, I can agree with that. But then a band like Sodom who sings 80% about death/war and 20% about satan is considered black/thrash?
The vocals are harsher than typical thrash bands. It more closely resembles black metal screaming. So, that's what makes Sodom and black/thrash band.
__________________
9.28 Sadistic Intent / Morbid Saint
10.20 Raven
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 PM
jhdeity's Avatar
jhdeity jhdeity is offline
Headbanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 3,107
I'm jamming this cd now. It's probably older than some people on here. So far it's:

Sodom - Deathlike Silence
Bathory - Chariots of Fire
Morbid Angel - Maze of Torment
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Cancer - Cancer Fucking Cancer
Sadus - Certain Death
Slayer - Jesus Saves
Testament - Apocalyptic City
Metallica - Metal Militia
Dark Angel - Merciless Death
Sepultura - Escape to the Void

It's called Thrash Mix so yeah if it was fast I thought it was thrash back then. Kinda funny now...
__________________
9/27 - Clutch
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008