Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- NorrkŲping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 AM
A Pathetic. Excuse. For a Human Being.

Metalcore and Other Forms of False Metal

I've never really been vocal about my disdain for metalcore and other forms of false metal until now, having had some time to reflect on my trip to Mayhem fest. The reason is because when I was in high school and younger, I listened to some gay ass music. Although I had thrash pretty much locked down, I was a Death Metal noob and the same goes for Black, Grind, Doom, etc. One minute I'd be listening to Morbid Angel, then I'd be at a party playing Alive or Just Breathing by Killswitch. Eventually I went to college and learned more about metal in one afternoon than I knew in my entire life previous to that day. So the Metalcore and Cock Rock was sort of a stepping stone.

Now, I don't want to be a dick, but I have to wonder in the age of instant gratification technology how the fuck can anybody in their right fucking mind pick up this bullshit metalcore scene shit and like it? It takes literally 5 minutes to find a musically superior band than the one you like that has a funny ironic name, and it wont be gimmick laden talentless shit either! Again, I understand that music tastes are subjective, and you can flame away for saying "musically superior" but I can't help it when I see a band like FFDP or hear people talk about how sicknasty Blowjob For a Cockboy is. There's way too much good shit coming out now to be wasting time on that bullshit.

And that's not getting into the classics.

It boils down to this:
Chosing metalcore or other forms of false metal is like chosing to jerk off instead of getting laid.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Banned Asshole

And you have to remember Ozzy really fostered metalcore by having those bands like Unearth, Bleeding Through, and All That Remains on Ozzfest countless numbers of times.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 AM
A Pathetic. Excuse. For a Human Being.

^This is a great point. How many times have we seen well established metal figures or great bands bring flashpan bullshit on tour?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

All metal is real metal. Its just opinion on if you like it or not. Thatís what this site lacks people who donít have respect for the musical opinions of others. Everyone here listens to metal bands I donít like but I donít care if they like it. If screaming and growling,metalcore ect appeals to you then listen to it if it doesnít then stay away. Its music you all take it way to seriously there are many more important things in life. There is a whole world of knowledge waiting start learning.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
All metal is real metal. Its just opinion on if you like it or not. Thatís what this site lacks people who donít have respect for the musical opinions of others. Everyone here listens to metal bands I donít like but I donít care if they like it. If screaming and growling,metalcore ect appeals to you then listen to it if it doesnít then stay away. Its music you all take it way to seriously there are many more important things in life. There is a whole world of knowledge waiting start learning.
Says the person who on multiple occasions said:

"Grindcore is not music."
Old 08-02-2010, 08:50 AM
We're dying on the inside

Did it ever occur to OP that some people really like metalcore better than whatever you believe the logical next step is? I don't, but why should people have to "graduate" to something they have no interest in. I went to high school with the metalcore/deathcore band Miss May I, and I can honestly say that maybe 5% of the kids who go to their shows own an Iron Maiden or Death or even At the Gates record. Metal's branched off so much that there's no requirement to be interested in all of it if one corner of it is fulfilling enough for you. Perhaps these kids should be asking you why you don't like metalcore since it finally brought clean vocals and breakdowns and accessibility to melodic death metal?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Regretting my username

I like some metalcore. Not all of it, but bands like Shadows Fall, All That Remains, some KsE, Unearth, Darkest Hour, As I Lay Dying, and The Autumn Offering. If I'm "not metal" for liking those bands, then so be it. I still listen to everything from progressive power metal to technical death metal to melodic death doom....Its all based on preference, and shunning any person because they don't like your "kind of metal" is pretty lame.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Says the person who on multiple occasions said:

"Grindcore is not music."
I personally belive that grindcore is not music. But I dont give a fuck if you listen to it. By this definition of what music is grindcore is not music.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/music
Old 08-02-2010, 08:58 AM
N00B

Just posting so that I can tell my grandchildren that I was in on the ground floor of a truly awesome thread.
MDF
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
Just posting so that I can tell my grandchildren that I was in on the ground floor of a truly awesome thread.
We're making history here.