Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Municipal Waste -- Echo Park, CA -- July 25th, 2014
Masked Intruder -- Kansas City, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Machine Head -- Springfield, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
Giant Squid -- San Francisco, CA -- July 24th, 2010

La Brea Tar Pits
Blue Linckia
Panthalassa
Throwing A Donner Party at Sea
Neonate (W/ Eating Machine Intro)


This was part of the Tidal Wave festival, and they were the only band who I really knew, and the only band I really needed to see. Although Stone Vengeance and Abysmal Dawn weren't bad, I was there for Giant Squid. The whole band was on point, and while the setlist wasn't quite what I'd pick, I had a blast hearing it. I thought going into it that the crowd, which was mainly full of thrash fans, wouldn't be very into them and I was correct to a certain extent. Once they brought out the heavier material though, the crowd got a little more excited. I also noticed about a song in, that Matt Solis, the guitarist for Cormorant was in attendance, when he should have been writing their second album . Right after they tore through Trowing a Donner Party at Sea, the sound guy came up and told them they should be done. Aaron then audibly pleaded for one more song, which the crowd even more audibly wanted. I knew the next song had to be Neonate, so I was dying for them to continue. Alas, Tonus (the very kind man putting on the fest) said they can continue. Let me tell you, Neonate is a crusher in a live setting. For only a five song set, Giant Squid totally made the best of it, and definitely put on one of the best shows I've seen this year. Good thing Aaron told me they'll be headlining a show later this year, so I can see them perform a full set.

9.5/10
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 AM
MetalIsArt's Avatar
MetalIsArt MetalIsArt is offline
Long live Ronnie James Dio
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dendermonde, Flanders
Posts: 2,691
Blog Entries: 1
And no Colossal Squid?
__________________
Jump in the fire

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Once they brought out the heavier material though, the crowd got a little more excited.
By "heavier", you must mean "faster", because "La Brea Tar Pits" is definitely heavy as fuck (although slow). "Blue Linckia" is even heavier, and a little faster. "Panthalassa" is heavy as fuck and relatively fast, so I take it the crowd definitely got into it at this point. Anybody who wasn't headbanging by the time they played "Donner Party" has no soul, and should not have been at this show in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I also noticed about a song in, that Matt Solis, the guitarist for Cormorant was in attendance, when he should have been writing their second album


Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Let me tell you, Neonate is a crusher in a live setting.
Toldja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Good thing Aaron told me they'll be headlining a show later this year, so I can see them perform a full set.
When and where?


Also, did you happen to talk to Jackie? She is usually out and about mixing it up with tha fans at shows, and she's really approachable. I'm dying for news about Grayceon's upcoming album. I got to hear two tracks from it live last year, and I can't wait for them to release that fucker!
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter (?)
8/9 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa (?)

Last edited by Natrlhi; 07-28-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
By "heavier", you must mean "faster", because "La Brea Tar Pits" is definitely heavy as fuck (although slow). "Blue Linckia" is even heavier, and a little faster. "Panthalassa" is heavy as fuck and relatively fast, so I take it the crowd definitely got into it at this point. Anybody who wasn't headbanging by the time they played "Donner Party" has no soul, and should not have been at this show in the first place.
Well, I think it would have been a better decision to open with Neonate, because the crowd wasn't incredibly interested early in the set. After Aaron introduced them as a great band to do acid to, they started to lighten up a bit. Everyone really liked Donner Party and Neonate though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
When and where?
Bottom of the Hill in September/October. It doesn't sound like a nationwide thing, because I think they'll play a few more shows here then write the new record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Also, did you happen to talk to Jackie? She is usually out and about mixing it up with tha fans at shows, and she's really approachable. I'm dying for news about Grayceon's upcoming album. I got to hear two tracks from it live last year, and I can't wait for them to release that fucker!
Funny you mentioned that, because I planned on it, and on asking about the new Grayceon as well as when they'd play the area again. She was packing some stuff up while Aaron was talking with some fans, so I didn't get to talk to her.

Aaron's really kind though, he noticed the Metazoa shirt
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:41 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
This interview I'm listening to mentions a Giant Squid/Grayceon split for 2010...

Aaron goes into the stylistic aspects of Grayceon's part of the split too, so it sounds like it's a done deal. A little late to announce a 2010 release though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
This interview I'm listening to mentions a Giant Squid/Grayceon split for 2010...

Aaron goes into the stylistic aspects of Grayceon's part of the split too, so it sounds like it's a done deal. A little late to announce a 2010 release though.
linkpls
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter (?)
8/9 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa (?)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
linkpls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWzlYRPjydM

I just realized it's from about a year ago, so I don't know if it was scrapped or what.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWzlYRPjydM

I just realized it's from about a year ago, so I don't know if it was scrapped or what.
I had to wait until I got home to listen to it, but yeah. Sounds cool. At first, when you said it was older, I thought it might have been older than you thought, and they might have been talking about the Sutter's Fort / The West split, but this is clearly something newer than that. Like you, I wonder if it's still going to happen, or if they'll just simply focus on their respective full-length efforts.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter (?)
8/9 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa (?)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
giant squid

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008