King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 AM
One who onions things

Halford -- San Francisco, CA -- July 17, 2010

Holy shit, it was rarities night! No real epic show stories (well maybe one...) here, but I'll just narrate my night I suppose.

We got in around when doors opened up and got on the balcony directly facing the stage. It had one hell of a view, better than rail in my opinion since the sound was better and there were no monitors in our face. So after we get comfortable, I see none other than CHUCK FUCKING BILLY down the hall. After freaking out, I run towards him and his ladyfriend (wife?) and say hello. I shook his hand and now my hand feels about 100x times more metal. I asked when the new album is coming out, and he said they're working on it right now and it should be out early next year (after of course telling him that The Gathering was one of my favorite metal albums ever).

So the opening band was Cylinder from Santa Cruz. They sucked. Horribly. Their singer sounded like he belonged in a country version of Nickelback (I'll kill someone if I hear someone say "y'all" in person again). And his screams sucked big time. The riffs seemed alright, but they seemed more akin to Alice In Chains on a bad night than anything remotely close to Rob Halford. Only heard of the band today, so no setlist. However I know their closing song was "Don't Count On Me" if anyone actually gives a damn.

And now, Rob Halford. This show was so unconventional, I just didn't know what to expect by about half way through. No leather and cape from the big man, just a coat and black pants and then down to a t-shirt and aforementioned pants. Opening with Silent Screams was downright odd, but it was a pretty epic opening. Rob's voice was somewhat nasal to begin with, but it was amazingly consistent for the show and dude hit every scream. He also premiered a new song from the new Halford album coming in October. The riffs were definitely better than "The Mower" but the lyrics were repetitive. The rest were some of the deepest cuts you could find from the guy's catalog. Even the Fight songs were obscure! And Drop Out never even came out on an album before! The only Priest song was "Never Satisfied," which wasn't as surprising since it's been apart of the promotion of his new live album. Oh and they gave away free copies of Crucible at the merch booth.

I will be honest, I'm a Priest nut that's simply too young to make any crazy claims about Rob's performances. BUT, I've analyzed the evolution of Rob's voice from '77 to now based on YouTube videos, live concerts, dvds and albums so much, I know by heart what his voice sounds like during a given time period. Rob will never ever sound the way he did in the late 70s and the 80s again. People grow older. But goddamn did Rob sound as good as he did on the Resurrection tour in 2001. Since that tour Rob's voice slowly declined in strength until 2005's Angel of Retribution tour where it was just plain rough, but since then he's improved with every tour, and this time was no exception. Rob Halford was just plain simply outstanding tonight. Hearing him pull of Resurrection like it was nothing was nothing short of mind-blowing. The man's got a few screams and then some left in him, even if we'll never hear Victim of Changes the same way it was done on Unleashed In the East ever again.

Oh yeah, no "You've Got Another Thing Comin," "Breaking the Law," or "Metal Gods!" How often does that happen?!

1. Silent Screams
2. Made of Metal?? (New song with those words in the chorus. I'm assuming since that's name of the new album that it is it's title track)
3. Resurrection
4. Made In Hell
5. Never Again
6. Drop Out
7. Golgotha
8. Heart of a Lion
9. Never Satisfied
10. I Am Alive
11. Saviour
ENCORE
12. Crystal
13. Rock the World Forever

It was a shorter set than I would have liked, clocking in at maybe 75 minutes, but every song was an under-appreciated gem and you could tell Rob was happy to bust out the rare stuff if his repeated saying of "You've made me so happy, thank you" wasn't indicative enough. I came out of that show feeling a little different than I did at most of my concerts.
I come out of my favorite shows feeling like I've witnessed something truly epic and special. Eric Clapton raping on guitar in summer 2009, Exodus playing for 2 hours to their hometown with their friends last June, High On Fire completely upstaging 7 other damn good bands at the Missing Link last May and my first concert ever, Blue Oyster Cult in June 2007. I came out not thinking I'd seen something amazingly epic, but rather something spontaneous, one of a kind and fun. I will probably never see any of these songs live ever again, and that reason alone made the concert worth it. They were great songs, and they deserve to be heard live. But as long as the mighty Judas Priest exists, those songs will always be shut down in favor of some of the greatest metal songs ever. And to be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way. But tonight was a fun change of pace, and if anyone gets the opportunity to see Halford live, do it. Who knows how much time Rob's got left in him, and these songs deserve a home in our ears.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:48 AM
We're dying on the inside

1) Eesh, unimpressive setlist.
2) Eesh, Silent Screams as an opener?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Crap, I was really hoping he would play Tyrant again.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Headbanger

You warned us that it was rarities night but even with that I expected a few Priest gems. You could pick a setlist out of a hat and blow that away. At least you go to meet Chuck though.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 AM
You took my heart & left it blown to smithereens, I gave my body as a slave!

HOLY SHIT......... HE ACTUALLY DID "HEART OF A LION"
Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 AM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasPriest89 View Post
HOLY SHIT......... HE ACTUALLY DID "HEART OF A LION"
Exactly what I was thinking! Awesome to see Never Again in there, too.

10/30 - King Diamond
12/08 - Opeth / In Flames / Red Fang
Old 07-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

This is how I'd do it

Crucible
Made In Hell
Handing Out Bullets
Never Satisfied
Into The Pit
Jawbreaker
Silent Screams
Cyberworld
Crystal
Heart of Darkness
Sun
Saviour
Genocide
============
Resurrection
Tyrant
Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

he's playing Heavy Mtl next saturday , I was looking forward to see him, but not anymore ...

not even a Priest song ?!? at least we'll get to see Roy Z in action

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
This is how I'd do it

Crucible
Made In Hell
Handing Out Bullets
Never Satisfied
Into The Pit
Jawbreaker
Silent Screams
Cyberworld
Crystal
Heart of Darkness
Sun
Saviour
Genocide
============
Resurrection
Tyrant
Someone really likes Tyrant alot...
Old 07-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Ahem...

1. Silent Screams
2. Made of Metal?? (New song with those words in the chorus. I'm assuming since that's name of the new album that it is it's title track)
3. Resurrection
4. Made In Hell
5. Never Again
6. Drop Out
7. Golgotha
8. Heart of a Lion
9. Never Satisfied
10. I Am Alive
11. Saviour
ENCORE
12. Crystal
13. Rock the World Forever

Last edited by JudasPriest89; 07-18-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Tags
cylinder, halford, rob halford