Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014
Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 AM
N00B

Iron Maiden -- Chicago, IL -- July 18th, 2010

Just got back from the concert in Tinley Park south of Chicago. My friends and I drove up from Northern Kentucky (just south of Cincinnati) to see them. Anyway here is the setlist, which is the same as it has been for the most recent shows:

01. The Wicker Man
02. Ghost Of The Navigator
03. Wrathchild
04. El Dorado
05. Dance Of Death
06. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
07. These Colours Don't Run
08. Blood Brothers
09. Wildest Dreams
10. No More Lies
11. Brave New World
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

Encore:

14. The Number Of The Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

The music was great but I don't know if it was the venue, where my seats were located or just the mix but Bruce's vocals, for the most part, seemed to be drowned out in the mix. The venue really brought out the rhythm section, though. The bass and drums really stood out as did the lead and rhythm guitars (Dave's and Adrian's anyway -- I can never tell if Jester Janick Gers is really playing or goofing off.) On some songs, Bruce's vocals sounded good but on others they were just lost in the mix and I could swear they were cutting in and out on a couple songs too. I've seen a few concerts in Chicago over the years but this was the first one at that venue. So, I really can't comment if it is like that for all concerts there. Maybe someone else can chime in and comment about that.

Since I'm an "old school" Maiden fan (seen them countless times over the years,) the older classic songs were the highlight for me. But it was nice they brought out the recent stuff since the previous tour was the "throwback" tour. I do have a soft spot for The Wicker Man, Dance Of Death, and Ghost Of The Navigator. On the new song, El Dorado, the music was really good but unfortunately this was one of the songs that Bruce's vocals were lost in the mix. So I really couldn't hear much singing. Even with the flaws, this was an awesome concert. They played for about 1 hour and 55 minutes (counting Bruce's interactions with the crowd.)

Dream Theater opened up, of course, and put on an excellent warm-up show. Unfortunately I am not all that familiar with them and their songs. So I can't really comment on their setlist. They did sound really good though.

Additional comments are welcome.

Last edited by wrecking_crew; 07-19-2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 AM
You took my heart & left it blown to smithereens, I gave my body as a slave!

Hey at least someone posted this setlist because I knew I couldn't
Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM
I know the songs you're singing saying nothing loud and clear I've heard that song a thousand times

First time I saw Iron maiden and they were amazing. Also, dream theater did a good job as well.
7/24 - NIN/Soundgarden
8/28 - Linkin Park
Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 AM
#Controversial

Yeah, the sound at the venue is shitty. But it was still a great show.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:25 AM
somebody somewhere

I've seen them 6 times,and at least two or three of them sounded messed up.The vocals get covered up all the time with this band.No excuse for Dream Theater sounding great,and then then Maiden comes on sounding not so good.I think Steve Harris probably likes the bass high,but in my opinion they should get better sound guys.They have all the money in the world,hire somebody better.I'll probably get blasted for saying that,but who cares.It happens way too much with this band.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I can't stop thinking big

I've heard this venue sucks with sound.

At my date in Detroit, Bruce's vocals were very clear and easy to hear, and I was on the lawn.
7/18 - Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper
Old 07-19-2010, 04:00 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRedWing13 View Post
I've heard this venue sucks with sound.

At my date in Detroit, Bruce's vocals were very clear and easy to hear, and I was on the lawn.
It's preety strange, but usually its really shitty on the lawn, no bass, etc. First 2 songs they did not even turn the volume up you could talk to the people around you and not even have to raise your voice. Other concerts such as like Jimmy Buffett and ZZ top sounded amazing there, its very strange, but stay away from it!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:37 PM
THE Jman

Thumbs up

This show was amazing! e: It's the first time I've seen a show in Chicago, as well as my first time meeting Mike Portnoy, seeing Dream Theater, and seeing Iron Maiden. The were a few times it seemed that Bruce's voice was lost. I thought that both singers sounded incredible! El Dorado was pretty cool. I also thought it was awesome how the stage was set up and all the different banners. I believe this show made me think Bruce is the greatest frontman of all time. One little obscure thing I liked was Mike doing a blast beat in Pull Me Under. Dream Theater's set was the same as every other night on the tour.

1. As I Am
2. A Rite of Passage
3. Home
4. Constant Motion
5. Panic Attack
6. Pull Me Under
Old 07-19-2010, 06:15 PM
N00B

Great show. I loved that they sold tickets for a GA pit and think every major band should do the same. I felt like I was seeing Maiden at a small venue as I was one person off the rail. I've seen Maiden 10 to 15 times but this was by far the closest I've ever been.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmudan View Post
Great show. I loved that they sold tickets for a GA pit and think every major band should do the same. I felt like I was seeing Maiden at a small venue as I was one person off the rail. I've seen Maiden 10 to 15 times but this was by far the closest I've ever been.
Back in the '90s during The X Factor tour, I saw them at a small club with only a few hundred people. I was right up next to the stage in front of Dave Murray and he slapped my hand. Of course that was when Metal was in its down period in the U.S. and Blaze Bayley was with them. So Maiden played the small club scene in the States during that period. About a year later, I saw Bruce Dickinson at the very same small club during his Accident Of Birth solo tour. I remember he threw water on everyone standing in front of the stage, including myself. Bruce didn't really interact with the crowd and wouldn't slap hands with anyone like the guys from Iron Maiden did (Bruce was probably pissed he had to play small clubs and missed playing big arenas and stadiums.)

Tags
dream theater, iron maiden