Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, ON -- April 13th, 2014
Nile -- Baltimore, MD -- April 15th, 2014
Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 07-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Beware; I am a threadkiller.

A Manowar hate-thread at Ultimate Metal

First, while I am a fan of the Manowar, I am not so serious about them because if I were, I would not be posting this.

Second, let me also say trolls are welcome to trash the Manowar as they see fit.

NOW, I don't go to Ultimate Metal very often, unless I need a setlist, but while I was perusing the Nevermore section with respect to a most likely non-existent date that would have been perfect for me, I came across this thread.

I am posting the link to the thread because I am all thumbs when it comes to embedding a youTube video. I tried copying the "embed html", but then i was all thumbs again trying to convert it so it can be seen and played.

Anyway, I don't really hear what they hear, so I offer it to you guys to dissect and analyze, to condemn or condone (i am assuming mostly condemn, but feel free to surprise me).
Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 AM
N00B

Thumbs down

That was poor. I'm a big fan of the band, and not even the biggest Manowar lover could ever condone that performance.

And it's 'Manowar', not 'the Manowar'.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Man this band is taking a nasty, nasty fall from grace. First their personal lives were all outed. Then they got booed at Brazil for playing all new stuff, then Scott outed them for lying about the real reason why he left. I mean all bands do that, but they went so far to say that his son was ill. This terrible Heaven & Hell cover just might be the straw the breaks the camel's back. Manowar shouldn't be doing covers anyway. Part of their allure is that they are a self-contained massive entity.

Man, I don't even know if a reunion tour with Ross the Boss (with the songs played in the right key) can save them now.

Also a note to all would be Dio tributers: STOP FUCKING COVERING HEAVEN & HELL! If you assholes aren't careful, people are going to be just as sick of that song as they are Iron Man. Dio has a long and rich catalogue in metal. For everyone to cover one song is an insult to him.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:41 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

most bands diminish with time. no matter how bad manowar gets now, battle hymns is still supreme
Old 07-04-2010, 06:52 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

also, wat:

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=117392

"According to its report, DeMaio has advised the Bulgarian Finance Minister on how to be more "true" when handling reforms and budget revision."
Old 07-05-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngandaspiring View Post
And it's 'Manowar', not 'the Manowar'.
because i am developing a crotchety gland, i will put 'the' wherever i please; e.g., The Lady Gaga, The New York City, The McDonalds.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Altars of Radness

Old 07-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
They seriously look like the bitches from Sex and the City there
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 07-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Ironbound

I like Manowar, own all their albums, saw them live on several occasions, even hungout on their tour bus! But I also have a sense of humor about them. They are good cheese.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:16 AM

When Manowar stopped fighting the world...

I sometimes very much wish I had the wherewithall to have seen (the) Manowar perform live when I first discovered them.

When my dorky friends and I discovered the release of Kings Of Metal, we could not be more psyched. One of them, He Who Played Priest's Defending the Faith, brought us Fighting The World. This other friend, over time, successfully overplayed Defender to death several times over.

From what I can remember, songs like Violence & Bloodshed and the last song saga that is Black Wind, Fire & Steel stood out the most. Kingdom of Steel, topping what I liked about Fighting The World, yet bringing more of it. Wheels of Fire, that crunchy opener blowing me away. Heart of Steel as the power ballad, Sting of the Bumblebee made all the more awesome when I learned it was a bass guitar and The Warrior's Prayer plus Blood of the Kings as KoM's last song saga.

And then there was the Triumph of Steel.

When i first saw the tracklisting, my heart did sink. Not only was That First Track was 30 minutes long, it was subject matter that I did not expect to see on one of their records. Nevermind the length, listening and reading the lyrics confirmed for me that they either might have peaked and/or were too self absorbed to bring to the material what they knew.

Specifically, as I understand the ancient Greek mentality, it was not the way the Norse traditions approached things. True, they would go to battle to the death, mothers saying to their sons, "You'll either bring this shield to me or you will be on it", but the Greeks approached honor and duty and even leisure differently. my minor in Ancient Greek Civ is my only cred as well as the feel of the material and what my addled brain can remember.

There are other tracks that have their strengths as well as flaws, then they went Louder Than Hell. And to keep it short, this record gets a D+. I can't say they failed, but

Don't try to understand me my family never will
Had to punch my teacher out now he's chilled
I might stay in school or die in prison
Either way it's my decision one more beer and heavy metal
And I'm just fine

does speak for itself on a mayriad of levels, also quite possibly explaining a rather lot.

Last edited by Sinfulsot; 07-10-2010 at 06:19 AM.