Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

View Poll Results: Testament vs. Anthrax
Testament 28 58.33%
Anthrax 20 41.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Testament vs. Anthrax

Prompted by recent discussions in the pseudo-official thrash thread. Testament is the easy choice for me, but I was surprised to see how many people preferred Anthrax in the other thread. Skolnick is a big part of the reason for my choice. The guy is an excellent guitarist and I don't think anything Anthrax has released can touch his work. I do like Anthrax but I think their CD's are somewhat hit and miss. Also, I am not a huge fan of Belladonna's voice. Sometimes I like it and other times it kind of grates on my nerves.

So let's officially decide this.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
In Search of Truth

Anthrax, easily for me. I guess I've just never really "gotten" Testament. Admittedly I am not a huge thrash fan, so I'm not sure how seriously you should take my opinion - but there's gotta be 2 or 3 Anthrax albums I all like more than whatever my favorite Testament album is.

Skolnick is an incredible guitarist though. Savatage's "live in Japan '94" taught me that lesson a few years ago.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:55 PM
We're dying on the inside

Anthrax without a doubt. Nothing against Testament, and I even thought they were pretty damn good live on Metal Masters in 2008, but God...Anthrax has some absolutely classic material. They could play a headlining show and do nothing but amazing songs. I can't say the same about Testament.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:58 PM
N00B

I think Anthrax was better in the 80s/90s, Testament absolutely destroys them now.
MDF
Old 07-16-2010, 09:03 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Anthrax. There are about 5 Anthrax albums I like better than my favorite Testament album.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 PM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Anthrax without a doubt. Nothing against Testament, and I even thought they were pretty damn good live on Metal Masters in 2008, but God...Anthrax has some absolutely classic material. They could play a headlining show and do nothing but amazing songs. I can't say the same about Testament.
Yeah, from about four or five or their nine albums.

My thing with the whole Anthrax vs. Testament thing is that Testament are a much more consistent band. I honestly feel that Testament hasn't released a bad album and that their fans are more accepting of all of their material, where I don't think that there are many Anthrax fans that want to hear songs from Stomp 442 or Volume 8 live. Also, when I saw Testament last year they played at least one song from every album they released, at least I think so.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I can't stop thinking big

Testament has been a much more consistent band, in my opinion. They've successfully experimented as far as death metal, Chuck Billy is an absolute beast and destroys Belladonna and Bush these days, and Skolnick, as mentioned in the OP, is incredibly talented and beats Scott Ian hands down.

Among The Living, Spreading The Disease, and Sound of White Noise are great albums, but I'll gladly take The New Order, The Legacy, The Gathering, and even Formation of Damnation over any of them.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I can't stop thinking big

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
Yeah, from about four or five or their nine albums.

My thing with the whole Anthrax vs. Testament thing is that Testament are a much more consistent band. I honestly feel that Testament hasn't released a bad album and that their fans are more accepting of all of their material, where I don't think that there are many Anthrax fans that want to hear songs from Stomp 442 or Volume 8 live. Also, when I saw Testament last year they played at least one song from every album they released, at least I think so.
Fucking a, you beat me to it...
Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

I pick Testament because they have been extremely consistent over the years with the quality of their releases. They haven't released a bad album. They've barely had any lineup changes, The Formation of Damnation was excellent, and they're still top notch live nowadays. That's why I would say Testament.

EDIT: Just read makethemsuffer12's comment. Well at least someone agrees with me
Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Testament easily.