Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Old 07-11-2010, 11:01 AM
N00B

Dream Theater -- Worcester, MA -- July 10th, 2010

I saw Dream Theater last Summer at Prog Nation '09, and to be honest, I wasn't impressed. I went with my dad and a couple friends who all loved DT, so I gave them a shot. It's not like I hated them, I just wasn't totally blown away like everybody told me I would be.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I'm doing my daily scan of MassConcerts, and I see that Dream Theater is playing the Worcester Palladium, a club. I freaked out and immediately got tix for me and my Dad. I wanted to give them another shot, so why not go to one of 4 club gigs this year?

An added bonus was Charred Walls of the Damned was also on the bill. I've loved Ripper for years, but I've never gotten a chance to see him live with any of the bands he's been in. Opening the show was comedian Don Jamieson, who's on That Metal Show on VH1 Classic.

Don was really funny in my opinion. He spouted off mostly metal-based humor that the crowd loved("The only thing longer than Tommy Lee's penis is a Dream Theater song"). He told jokes for about 20 minutes, until he suddenly brought on Charred Walls of the Damned. They tuned for a few minutes then started quickly.

My first qualm about their set was the sound. I couldn't distinguish anything other than the drums and the vocals. The guitars and bass were just a blur of sound. That being said, the two people that really shined were Ripper and Richard Christy.

My next annoyance at this set had nothing to do with the band. It took until "Ghost Town" 4-5 songs in for anyone to start moving at all. A pit finally started during that song, and the show got 10x better due to the crowd energy.

I'm awful at recording an entire set start to finish, so I only have a fragmented description of the list. If anybody knows the exact order, let me know so I can edit it.

(very rough)Charred Walls of the Damned Set:
Blood On Wood
From The Abyss
Creating Our Machine
Scream Machine (Beyond Fear cover)
Ghost Town
a few more in the middle that I can't remember
Fear In The Sky
Voices Within Walls
Manifestation

I collided heads with one of the guys in the pit, so I went back to the bar to get a couple waters in between CWotD and Dream Theater. Due to this, I was unable to get as close as I wanted for DT.

After about 30-45 minutes, an awesome keyboard intro sounded, and the stage was revealed, showing Petrucci, Portnoy, Myung, and Rudess playing the intro to A Nightmare To Remember. When the vocals came in, out ran James LaBrie in his signature "wait for the vocals to come in to come onstage" fashion. As this first song went on, I immediately knew that this show was going to be special.

Seeing Dream Theater in a club was an amazing experience. I was 100x closer to the stage than I was at last year's Prog Nation at the Bank of America Pavilion. It was so much more intimate to be able to see all of their faces and attempt to make eye contact with them. The setlist was also so much better this time. I was disappointed at their last set, but this one blew me away.

Mike Portnoy's kids were in attendance, in the little VIP box. He kept pointing to them and during a couple of his backing vocal lines, he would say things like "Hi Melody and Max!" and smile at them. It was kinda cool seeing how happy he was to have his kids watch one of his band's shows.

Highlight of the show for me: Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci having a Keytar-Guitar Duel. It was during Metropolis Pt. 1 right after the bass solo. It lasted for quite a long time, and they really showed their technical proficiency and knack for improvisation during it.

All in all, it was a great show. They totally converted me to be a fan. I will 100% definitely see them the next time they have a stop in Massachusetts. Hopefully this wasn't the only time I'll be able to see them in a club setting.

Dream Theater Set:
A Nightmare To Remember
Constant Motion
A Rite Of Passage
Home
Hollow Years
The Mirror
Lie
Wither
Panic Attack
As I Am
Pull Me Under / Metropolis Pt. 1
-----------------
The Count of Tuscany
Old 07-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Bruised, hoarse, tired, sweaty, pained, and I had way more fun than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmeiselman View Post
I wanted to give them another shot, so why not go to one of 4 club gigs this year?
Irony - I'm nearly positive with that description that I was next to / between all of you waiting in line. Were you in the group of the Dad and the 4 dudes, one of whom had pink eye?

Quote:
Don was really funny in my opinion. He spouted off mostly metal-based humor that the crowd loved("The only thing longer than Tommy Lee's penis is a Dream Theater song").
Though he did mock me as "Wait... is that a man or a woman?" I <3 being in the front row

Quote:
My first qualm about their set was the sound. I couldn't distinguish anything other than the drums and the vocals. The guitars and bass were just a blur of sound. That being said, the two people that really shined were Ripper and Richard Christy.
At least you could hear the vocals. Even those were messy from where I stood. However, I still preferred the normal volume vocals to the way Ripper overpowers everything on the album. Also, he has better timing live than recorded.

Here's the 100% correct setlist (my friend got the actual list, and there were about 5 songs crossed out aside from these) - you actually only missed one song

Blood On Wood
From The Abyss
Scream Machine
Creating Our Machine
Ghost Town
The Darkest Eyes
Fear In The Sky
Voices within the walls
Manifestations

Seconding everything you said about DT's show. It was at times beautiful, haunting, powerful, and hilarious. This was my second time seeing them and the first time GA style, and I'm so glad I got to be up front. That keytar / guitar battle was one of the highlights for me, the second being that I finally got to see Panic Attack Live. I would die happy if I could touch Rudess' keytar.

Also, hilarity ensued during Pull Me Under. Thank you, Portnoy, for randomly speeding the song up for shits and giggles. Thank you, LaBrie, for the memorable line "Arrows fly and then fuck up" to go along with that

Last edited by Chyck; 07-11-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM
N00B

Was it also during Pull Me Under when Portnoy did an impromptu thrash "C Is For Cookie" song? That had me laughing my ass off.
10/15-16 - Gwar/Suffocation/The Faceless/Rob Zombie/Alice Cooper

Tags
charred walls of the damned, dream theater