Saint Vitus -- London, England -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- Seattle, WA -- October 28th, 2014
King Diamond -- Salt Lake City, UT -- October 26th, 2014
Raven -- San Francisco, CA -- October 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Regretting my username

Wow, you guys must really like metal.

I personally think that people who 'dress' overly metal and only talk to other metalheads and only talk about metal are putting themselves into the box of the metalhead stereotype. I don't even know why you would THINK about excluding non-metalheads from your friends' circle or try to force your friends to like metal. What kind of asshole person are you that music (metal in particular) is a major deciding factor in your daily interactions with people. Music is so inconsequential (in my opinion) that not talking to or dating someone because they dont like metal is a moronic thing to do.

Looking back on my first year of college, I didn't have a single friend that liked metal. One guy liked Amon Amarth and Nile (only those two bands), but we never talked about it or went to shows. I stopped dressing 'like a metalhead' and cut my hair, so that I looked "normal". I met tons of people who I could connect with based on personality, beer, movies, sports, video games, politics, religion, art, other kinds of music, academic interests, whatever. There are so many things in life that you can enjoy with other people, I dont understand why "metalhead" has to be a box that you put yourself into. Stringent adherence to a subculture is pretentious and it fractures society as a whole more than we already are. Get over yourselves and play nice.

Last edited by ChildrenofSodom; 07-08-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Wow, you guys must really like metal.

I personally think that people who 'dress' overly metal and only talk to other metalheads and only talk about metal are putting themselves into the box of the metalhead stereotype. I don't even know why you would THINK about excluding non-metalheads from your friends' circle or try to force your friends to like metal. What kind of asshole person are you that music (metal in particular) is a major deciding factor in your daily interactions with people. Music is so inconsequential (in my opinion) that not talking to or dating someone because they dont like metal is a moronic thing to do.

Looking back on my first year of college, I didn't have a single friend that liked metal. One guy liked Amon Amarth and Nile (only those two bands), but we never talked about it or went to shows. I stopped dressing 'like a metalhead' and cut my hair, so that I looked "normal". I met tons of people who I could connect with based on personality, beer, movies, sports, video games, politics, religion, art, other kinds of music, academic interests, whatever. There are so many things in life that you can enjoy with other people, I dont understand why "metalhead" has to be a box that you put yourself into. Stringent adherence to a subculture is pretentious and it fractures society as a whole more than we already are. Get over yourselves and play nice.
couldn't have said this better myself.

and i'm not talking about anyone in general, but for those metalheads who could only talk about metal with other people, should find some other interests and hobbies.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X

Last edited by xStructualDefect; 07-08-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green and Black View Post
Image is important to me

image being important to a girl? well, no shit. guess you have alot more in common with the average human than you think

and before you get a chance to reply to that...

Old 07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
image being important to a girl? well, no shit.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Ironbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I personally think that people who 'dress' overly metal and only talk to other metalheads and only talk about metal are putting themselves into the box of the metalhead stereotype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
couldn't have said this better myself.

and i'm not talking about anyone in general, but for those metalheads who could only talk about metal with other people, should find some other interests and hobbies.
at both of you. No one said anything about only talking about metal with others who dress overly metal. You both have a major chip on your shoulder about metalheads, I find it somewhat amusing that you get so worked up over it all.

And to Div who claims to not be reading this, a METAL image is important to me. I got tired of typing the word, but will be sure to use it as often as possible from now on.

Metal is my new favorite adjective. (sometimes noun)

Trying to put some METAL, in metalsetlists
Yours fondly in METAL spirit with a METAL heart,
The METAL Green and Black METAL

METAL!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:25 PM

i never said you did that, but i'm saying there's a lot of metalheads who can only primarily talk about metal with others and nothing else. there's a lot of metalheads like that, at least the ones i've come across.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 07-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
there's a lot of metalheads who can only primarily talk about metal with others and nothing else.
While that is true, it usually doesn't bother me (probably because I like metal). I just see it as someone who is very passionate. If they don't have ANY other interests though, then there could be a big problem.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Just posting ITT before it turns into another "i am not a closet socially retarded "metalhead" because i can dance with girls" etc. thread.
just sayin
11/01 - Carcass
11/02 - Four Year Strong
Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
just sayin
i ONCE said dancing with girls is fun and i got flamed for that for some pathetic reason so now are you gonna shove that in my face in every thread you see me post in? all i said is that it's good to have other interests and hobbies other than things relating metal. take the advice.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 07-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
i ONCE said dancing with girls is fun and i got flamed for that for some pathetic reason so now are you gonna shove that in my face in every thread you see me post in? all i said is that it's good to have other interests and hobbies other than things relating metal. take the advice.
damn ho calm down, just saying it in general.
11/01 - Carcass
11/02 - Four Year Strong