Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014
Warped Tour -- Auburn Hills, MI -- July 18th, 2014
Megadeth -- Denver, CO -- September 16th, 2007
Queen -- Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green and Black View Post
I have no interest on interacting with people not into metal, I have said this before and a few of you had a problem with it, but honestly, why bother. For me it's about quality, not quantity with friends, so sure I could talk about non metal things, with non metal people, I am perfectly capable of doing that, but I can also discuss those same non metal things with my metal friends, so why bother faking it with others.
While I'll admit that I would love it if most if not all of my friends were as into metal as I am, or even if they listened to some of the same sub-genres I do and found them interesting, I have to say that this extreme point of view is almost disturbing for me to hear (well...read, to be accurate). Metal - or music in general, for that matter, is a very big deal to me, but it certainly isn't the only thing I think about in a given day. That would be almost unhealthy, I think. I keep friends who are loyal, helpful, interesting and who have similar values as I do - not just with regards to music but with regards to life. Those are the folks I want around me - the ones I can count on when the chips are down...regardless of what they listen to.

Coming at this from a different angle...I like a whole lot more than just metal, so for me to only have friends who are into metal would be just ridiculous on that level as well. I love that I have a few friends who are into electronic music, or industrial or grunge or alternative / progressive, or edgy-but-not-necessarily-pure-metal, or whatever. My tastes are not limited to just metal, so why should my friends' be?

TL;DR: Compromising is not necessarily selling out.

--------------------------

Back on the point of this thread, it made me laugh when I thought about the topic with regards to my wife. She really doesn't like metal all that much, and she rolls her eyes at a lot of what I listen to - but it's all good, because I know she doesn't take it all that seriously, and she understands that it's important to me, so she lets it slide. Plus, there are a few random things she does like, such as some Metallica.

Because of this, I constantly find myself trying to pick out things that she "just might like", and playing them for her in the car or wherever, and surprisingly there are some things she does dig now and then. Usually it's something more groove-oriented like post-rock or the less heavy songs by bands like Isis or whatever. It's the real shockers that make me smile sometimes, though.

One time, she borrowed my mp3 player to go to the health club, and it was set to play Behemoth. She came back and told me that that music wasn't too bad, and that it made her want to walk faster on the treadmill. I had to laugh. I tried her out on some Vader and Nile right after that, and she wasn't having it. Oh well, ya can't blame a brother for trying to strike while the iron's hot!

At least we'll always have Depeche Mode, U2, Tori Amos, The Cure, Pixies, Muse, Ministry (older), Front 242, Skinny Puppy, Beastie Boys, Soul Coughing, Collective Soul and most alternative / progressive, grunge and electronica - which ain't too bad at all.

TL;DR: My wife has many similar musical tastes as I do, but metal generally isn't one of them. She does have "metal moments", though.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 07-08-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
While I'll admit that I would love it if most if not all of my friends were as into metal as I am, or even if they listened to some of the same sub-genres I do and found them interesting, I have to say that this extreme point of view is almost disturbing for me to hear (well...read, to be accurate). Metal - or music in general, for that matter, is a very big deal to me, but it certainly isn't the only thing I think about in a given day. That would be almost unhealthy, I think. I keep friends who are loyal, helpful, interesting and who have similar values as I do - not just with regards to music but with regards to life. Those are the folks I want around me - the ones I can count on when the chips are down...regardless of what they listen to.

Coming at this from a different angle...I like a whole lot more than just metal, so for me to only have friends who are into metal would be just ridiculous on that level as well. I love that I have a few friends who are into electronic music, or industrial or grunge or alternative / progressive, or edgy-but-not-necessarily-pure-metal, or whatever. My tastes are not limited to just metal, so why should my friends' be?

TL;DR: Compromising is not necessarily selling out.

--------------------------

Back on the point of this thread, it made me laugh when I thought about the topic with regards to my wife. She really doesn't like metal all that much, and she rolls her eyes at a lot of what I listen to - but it's all good, because I know she doesn't take it all that seriously, and she understands that it's important to me, so she lets it slide. Plus, there are a few random things she does like, such as some Metallica.

Because of this, I constantly find myself trying to pick out things that she "just might like", and playing them for her in the car or wherever, and surprisingly there are some things she does dig now and then. Usually it's something more groove-oriented like post-rock or the less heavy songs by bands like Isis or whatever. It's the real shockers that make me smile sometimes, though.

One time, she borrowed my mp3 player to go to the health club, and it was set to play Behemoth. She came back and told me that that music wasn't too bad, and that it made her want to walk faster on the treadmill. I had to laugh. I tried her out on some Vader and Nile right after that, and she wasn't having it. Oh well, ya can't blame a brother for trying to strike while the iron's hot!

At least we'll always have Depeche Mode, U2, Tori Amos, The Cure, Pixies, Muse, Ministry (older), Front 242, Skinny Puppy, Beastie Boys, Soul Coughing, Collective Soul and most alternative / progressive, grunge and electronica - which ain't too bad at all.

TL;DR: My wife has many similar musical tastes as I do, but metal generally isn't one of them. She does have "metal moments", though.

seriously dude, wtf i jus-

Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
This made me laugh, because the first time I heard Dissection, I was hooked and it was my gateway to black metal and more extreme stuff. Storm of the Light's Bane I consider a life changing album!
well like i said, 95% of the time that doesn't happen
guess youre just special
Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:

At least we'll always have...Pixies...Beastie Boys
Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post

seriously dude, wtf i jus-

Care to be more specific?

EDIT: I looked back and saw what you highlighted - so now I get it (next time, maybe you just delete everything but the part you were commenting about, maybe? ). Hey, what can I say? I have my reasons for liking them, and I'm not changing my opinion any time soon. They are a huge part of my musical history, and a very important one. So I guess that's all I have to say about that (Forrest Gump).

EDIT2: Fun Fact about The Nat: Both of my sons were conceived on the night of U2 concerts. Literally. Not joking.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 07-08-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
So I guess that's all I have to say about that (Forrest Gump).

I can't stand U2 but I don't really give a damn who listens to them, or just about anything else really. There are a few exceptions... ICP, Nickleback, etc.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

The awesomeness of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" aside, U2 can suck my left one.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
N00B

Nat, you just made me think of it, I had meant to tell you that I was in an all Depeche Mode Bar, in of all places, Estonia on my vacation. I have a few pictures.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
Nat, you just made me think of it, I had meant to tell you that I was in an all Depeche Mode Bar, in of all places, Estonia on my vacation. I have a few pictures.
Right on. DM is huge all over Europe. Post those puppies!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

Quote:
I have no interest on interacting with people not into metal, I have said this before and a few of you had a problem with it, but honestly, why bother. For me it's about quality, not quantity with friends, so sure I could talk about non metal things, with non metal people, I am perfectly capable of doing that, but I can also discuss those same non metal things with my metal friends, so why bother faking it with others.
I don't agree since most of the time my friends don't like the same music I like (I have went to plenty of shows alone because no one from my hometown listens to that music). Music has never been a deciding factor for me when choosing a friend, if so I would have no friends.

Last edited by evildeadjedi; 07-08-2010 at 01:44 PM.