Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Play it loud, don't play it low

Nothing from Grace Under Pressure?

Lame.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:16 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I hate when people compare two bands' setlists like this. Apples and Oranges. Maiden plays an hour and 50 minutes, Rush plays 3 hours. If Maiden played an extra hour and thus 10-11 or so more songs, they could please a helluva lot more people.

Also, this current tour's setlist = one of the best Maiden have ever done. I will keep fighting that fight. If you don't like the new stuff that much, that's fine - but don't try to say it's NOT a good setlist for what it is, because it definitely is.
It's not apples and oranges, Rush consistently uses songs from their entire catalog and play a few of their "hits" every time. Closer to the Heart and Working Man weren't played on the last tour, but they brought them back this time. They pull songs out of the bag on every tour.

And what the fuck makes Maiden's current set good regardless of whether you like the new material or not? Playing over 2/3 of the set from less than a third of the catalog just sounds wrong, let alone the third that didn't create the fan base that it did. I loved the SBIT and Ozzfest shows, but does that make the sets good? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Workin Them Angels sucks. I'd wish they'd drop that turd.

At least La Villa Strangiato and Working Man are back.
That was one of the few songs I liked on the album.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 PM
N00B

if Maiden continually played the standards on almost every tour (like Rush does), Maiden would have like 7-8 songs to work with in terms of variety each time due to the amount of songs they play. Whereas Rush plays the same amount, maybe even a couple more standard songs, and they have like 12-13 songs to have variety with.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM

I'm not asking for Run to the Hills, NOTB, Wasted Years, etc. every time. I think I'm not alone in that I don't wanna hear 3-5 songs from 3-4 consecutive albums.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I'm not asking for Run to the Hills, NOTB, Wasted Years, etc. every time. I think I'm not alone in that I don't wanna hear 3-5 songs from 3-4 consecutive albums.
No, the bullshit part is that if it was 3-5 songs from a certain 3-4 consecutive albums, no one would have a problem with it.

I'm so tired of arguing about this. What makes this setlist is good is that they're playing 6 songs that have only previously been played on one tour, and only 6 songs that have ever been played on more than 3 tours (one of which has been played incredibly sparingly over the past decade). Aside from album tours, this is the only tour they've ever done that has statistics looking like that. And sure, depending on which songs they chose to play, there'd be plenty of reason to bitch, because no one wants to see obscure, crappy, 90s songs. But the reunion albums are more than well-received overall, and the songs they're playing on this tour are pretty much the best-received songs from those albums. The hardcore fans shouldn't have a problem with this setlist given everything I just said, and the casual fans are still getting 6 hits (plus The Wicker Man, which practically is a hit too), to satisfy them. Also, this is the first time in Maiden history they are doing a show-to-show rotation. Problems? I see none.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
I'm so tired of arguing about this. What makes this setlist is good is that they're playing 6 songs that have only previously been played on one tour, and only 6 songs that have ever been played on more than 3 tours (one of which has been played incredibly sparingly over the past decade). Aside from album tours, this is the only tour they've ever done that has statistics looking like that. And sure, depending on which songs they chose to play, there'd be plenty of reason to bitch, because no one wants to see obscure, crappy, 90s songs. But the reunion albums are more than well-received overall, and the songs they're playing on this tour are pretty much the best-received songs from those albums. The hardcore fans shouldn't have a problem with this setlist given everything I just said, and the casual fans are still getting 6 hits (plus The Wicker Man, which practically is a hit too), to satisfy them. Also, this is the first time in Maiden history they are doing a show-to-show rotation. Problems? I see none.

Overall, if this set is true, I can say I saw two great sets from my two favorite bands in the same summer. nothing wrong with that at all. Great year for concerts
Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
No, the bullshit part is that if it was 3-5 songs from a certain 3-4 consecutive albums, no one would have a problem with it.
Yeah, but when it was done the last two times, it was a string of albums that half the fans didn't get to see live when they happened. Not to mention how many of the 80s era songs were played once or not at all?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Yeah, but when it was done the last two times, it was a string of albums that half the fans didn't get to see live when they happened. Not to mention how many of the 80s era songs were played once or not at all?
Well, this brings me back to my other constant point. We shouldn't be weighing Maiden doing this current set against them doing a set consisting of several rare old songs, because they never, ever do that. Even when they've done these retro tours, they always go for the most predictable stuff. Moonchild was the only big surprise on the Somewhere Back In Time. In their entire career Maiden have never not played a song on its album's tour and then played it later. Even their non-themed hits tours are merely just cycling back through the same old hits with very few, if any, surprises. So weighing that against this... this is a no brainer of preference for me.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:14 AM
N00B

I am quite suprised by a lot of disappointment that people are expressing in the forums over this setlist...i mean yeah it could be better, but most of these songs are really good (not a fan of Presto or Faithless) and it will be an amazing show.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
The hardcore fans shouldn't have a problem with this setlist given everything I just said, and the casual fans are still getting 6 hits (plus The Wicker Man, which practically is a hit too), to satisfy them.
You're right the hardcore fans, myself included, won't have a problem with this set at all. But that only makes up a few thousand of the 15-20 thousand that seen Maiden at each show. They're not catering to the masses that are coming to see them is what the main issue is. Also, do you honestly think the casual Maiden fan has a clue or even gives a shit what Wrathchild, Iron Maiden and Running Free are? I'm love Maiden to death and could care less about those songs. So why does anyone think a "casual" is gonna care at all?

I'm not saying Maiden should play The Trooper and TMTM for the billionth time this tour but would it kill them to at least represent POM and PS with one song each? Those are the two albums that are mainly responsible for the fanbase they have gained today. Yet, nothing from either of them and don't anyone give me crap about how last tour was the classics tour and that's why they're not doing it this time around. Maiden didn't exactly give many Americans a chance to see the SBIT tour at all. They had 18 US dates only for that tour. Not exactly doing their best to make sure all the fans can see them do a classic set.

I don't mind that Maiden is doing a bunch of newer stuff this tour. It's just their selection of old material this time around that makes me wonder. I don't think there's too many people going to see them who hoping beyond hope that the below average Wrathchild and the craptastic Running Free get played. One of the main things live is to make sure the crowd is into it and stays intrested. From some of the reports i've read on this tour it looks like there's large pockets of people at every show just not caring at all. You can't do that if you want people to come back and see you again next time around. At least that's the case in the US markets.

Where Maidens faults are in the sets is where Rush shines in theirs. Even before they started doing the evening with format in 1996 Rush always played sets that included the main hits but also included many deep cuts. Rush is just about the best at pleasing THE ENTIRE AUDIENCE when it comes to setlists selections. First of all, they always open the show with a couple of big hits to you know, get everyone into the show right off the bat. Then they do some deeps cuts and a few new songs for the diehards. Then it's right back into a few more big hits and they repeat that format for the rest of the show.

Not only Maiden but all bands can take lessons from Rush on how to make a setlist. Also, unlike Maiden, Rush does extensive US tours every time they go out on the road and give the vast majority of their fans a chance to see them.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 06-29-2010 at 08:20 AM.