Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen - Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 06-21-2010, 05:15 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Enjoy. Nat is right. I think I have 2 different versions of it but it was played more than 5 times I'd be shocked. The wear and tear on his throat is tough. I know one of my copies it's dedicated to someone for their birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSJXV0ZJ4JQ
Right on. I stand corrected. Granted what I was looking at was last updated back in '01 so alot could happen between then and now. That would be pretty sweet to hear.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Wow...five songs from Aenima, four from Lateralus, arguably the best two songs from 10,000 Days and one semi-rare but awesome gem from Undertow, and yet we still have people bitching. Why am I not surprised, though?

And to whomever said the set list was short for the money they are charging...get a clue, bro! First of all, these songs are quite long - any real fan would know that (or maybe this person is just lurking and posting randomly once in a while when they think they have something smart to say?). The official combined album length of the songs in this set is nearly eighty minutes long. Add a few minutes for the multiple extended versions that were played, take away a few because (-) Ions is four minutes long on album and they probably don't play the full length version live, and you still have nearly a ninety-minute set!

Not to mention that twelve songs is longer than the set they were playing in 2007 & 2008 (typical was eight to ten). Even if you combine Eon Blue Apocalypse / The Patient and don't consider (-) Ions as a full track (which are both reasonable assumptions), this set is still ten songs long, which is at the very minimum a standard length set for Tool in terms of the number of songs.

The bottom line is - any way you slice it - there is nothing at all wrong with either the length of this set, nor the albums that are represented - and ticket prices haven't gone up any more than they normally are for Tool either, so...whatever. Go listen to your Disturbed and Mudvayne CD's and pretend that they are metal if you don't like this set.

Anyway, I noticed several other comments that could use some clarification, too. Somebody said something about the last two songs being an encore. To the best of my knowledge, Tool doesn't do encores - they simply take a break, remain on stage, and play the last couple of songs that some people consider to be an "encore" as part of the normal set. Maynard has remarked before that he thinks encores are self-serving, silly drama cooked up by bands (and subsequently expected by fans) to add hype to a show. He and the rest of the band simply prefer to perform to the best of their ability, thank the crowd whole-heartedly when they are done, and exit stage rear - simple.

Then someone said that Third Eye was the only unusual song in this set, but then somebody else jumped in and reminded the first guy about The Patient and Intolerance. The discussion should have ended there, but then the first guy said that Intolerance wasn't even that good (a matter of opinion, which many folks would disagree with, myself and the second guy being just two examples), and then proceeded to suggest about five other songs that should have been played instead (presumably because they are seldom played). However, two of these five (Right in Two, and Wings) have been in the rotation for years - especially Wings (they played it at almost every show!) - so I don't really know what the original poster is even talking about.

A couple of other random clarifcations:

Ticks and Leeches is quite rare, because the vocals are very strenuous (jhdeity has it right).

They did play Sober a handful of times on the last few tours, but it is typically more of a surprise than a regular fixture in the set list.

Tool plays songs in regular rotation "for years" because their album cycle is so long. It's as simple as that. They did make some switches on their tours for 10,000 Days (Right in Two was in and out, same with The Pot, Flood was only played for a while, Sober was thrown in every now and then, etc.), but for the most part, they were promoting the album, so they leaned heavily towards songs from it. What's there not to understand about that?

Anyway, this is a killer set that I would have loved to witness live. Lucky bastards are those who get to see this mini-tour, because I likely won't be among them.
Christ, man. Tool should be cutting you a paycheck for the defending you do on here.

And as psyched as I am at the presence of Third Eye, Aenima is actually my least favorite Tool album.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I haven't said a damn word in this thread yet!

Proud of me, Nat?
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Opening with Third Eye is fucking awesome.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Christ, man. Tool should be cutting you a paycheck for the defending you do on here.
Agreed.

Quote:
And as psyched as I am at the presence of Third Eye, Aenima is actually my least favorite Tool album.
WRONG. The correct order is: Lateralus / Aenima / 10,000 Days / Undertow / Opiate. If your opinion differs, then you are wrong. :Maddox:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I haven't said a damn word in this thread yet!

Proud of me, Nat?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Opening with Third Eye is fucking awesome.
Correct.

So is the inclusion of Intolerance anywhere in the set. That's the best fucking song on Undertow, in my opinion (in other words, it is a fact ).

By the way, Undertow ranks fourth, but it still rocks balls.

(All TOOL albums) >>> (all the black and death metal shit you guys listen to around here)

Quote:
I'd pretty much rather hear ANY Tool song than Sober but that's just me.
Meh. It's OK, but I would agree that it's way less interesting than a lot of their other stuff. Straight 4/4 time signature...pretty conventional for them.

Still, the bass line is kind of a classic thing of beauty, ya gotta admit.

Quote:
As much as I love Third Eye i'd still love to see Tool open with Eulogy.
A-fucking-men. Love that song. There used to be a TOOL cover band called Truage from Akron, OH who were excellent at what they did, and they played Eulogy exceptionally well.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Avid Taco Bell Fan

Crazy

It's crazy to think TOOL has maintained their edge and popularity, even though they've been a band for 20+ years. That is unreal to me. They are quietly one of the top bands in the world, able to maintain their die-hard fans while still gaining new fans and popularity all the time. They are like a modern-day Pink Floyd in my eyes.

p.s. Natrlhi is $ money.
7/5/2019 - Iron Buffalo
Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
WRONG. The correct order is: Lateralus / Aenima / 10,000 Days / Undertow / Opiate. If your opinion differs, then you are wrong. :Maddox:
Alright, it's better than Opiate, but I would slide it in behind Undertow and keep the rest of your order the same. It's a good album (duh) but it's not the holy grail of Tool for me like it seems it is for a lot of people.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Alright, it's better than Opiate, but I would slide it in behind Undertow and keep the rest of your order the same. It's a good album (duh) but it's not the holy grail of Tool for me like it seems it is for a lot of people.
Fair enough. Honestly, I don't "want" to like Aenima as much as I do - it's just that it has so many essential songs on it for me that I can't help but rank it just above 10,000 Days (which is very close, in my opinion). Songs such as Stinkfist, 46 & 2 and Aenema are true classics, while songs like Third Eye, Eulogy and H. are also all-time faves of mine as well. Too much good shit on that album.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Yeah, call me cliche or whatever, but Aenima is by far my favorite Tool album. Lateralus comes kinda close though, I guess.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Yeah, call me cliche or whatever, but Aenima is by far my favorite Tool album. Lateralus comes kinda close though, I guess.
You are a cliche.

And you are wrong.

Tags
tool