9. Wildest Dreams
10. No More Lies
11. Brave New World
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

14. The Number of the Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

My ears are ringing out of control, I'm exhausted, and I can barely walk. I don't care though, cause pit tickets to an Iron Maiden concert are worth it all. This was the first time I had pit tickets to any concert, and I couldn't have been happier with 'em. We got to the venue about an hour after the doors had opened, and were shocked to find that the pit area was not crowded at all. We settled on the far right corner, either on, or just behind the rail, and waited about 30 minutes for Dream Theater to come out.

I'm hardly the biggest fan of Dream Theater's music, but they did a superb job as Maiden's introduction. Being within feet of John Petrucci made me realize just how close to the stage we had gotten, and how amazing Iron Maiden was going to be. The only Dream Theater songs from the set I knew were Panic Attack and Pull Me Under, but I enjoyed the others. Some got to be a bit on the long side (which shouldn't surprise anyone), but it was still a great performance. They beat Lauren Harris in everything except looks and relation to Steve.

After Pull Me Under ended, the great wait began. As the pit became more crowded, you could feel the tension grow. Rainbow in the Dark came over the PA, and a pretty good "DIO!" chant broke out through the crowd. Kudos fans, kudos. As the lights fell on a warm, Arizona day, Doctor Doctor came over the speakers, and everyone was ready for the ride of their life. A series of space related videos came on the screen, and the eagerness of the crowd rose every second Maiden didn't emerge from backstage. When they finally did, all hell broke loose, and The Wickerman was here.

Starting with The Wickerman and Ghost of the Navigator made for a terrific opening. I was a bit surprised by how many people knew the words to the songs, but I guess most people in the pit are fairly hardcore fans. Wrathchild got a great crowd response, El Dorado was better live than on the album, and Dance of Death was epic (I know it isn't Paschendale, but it still kicks ass). Pretty badass Grim Reaper backdrop for it. No one went to crazy over Breeg, but Colours got people going again.

Blood Brothers was for sure a highlight from the show. Thousands of fans screaming the chorus at the top of their lungs is something special. While I don't agree with the choice of the next two Dance of Death songs (Give me Rainmaker and Paschendale, dammit!), they were still pretty good, although I'd say No More Lies was probably my least favorite song from the evening. Finishing off the bunch of post reunion era songs, Brave New World got the audience excited again, and Fear of the Dark only made them crazier. As Space Zombie Eddie and Iron Maiden closed the main set, the crowd was only getting more into it.

The Number of the Beast by far had the best response, as classic Maiden dominated the encore. Hallowed was amazing as usual, and Running Free was a damn good way to close the show. If I had to pick one song that was my favorite...I'd have to go with Ghost of the Navigator, although all of the Brave New World tracks were amazing.

This experience was worth every penny of the 120 bucks I paid for it. 10/10, will see again for sure.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 PM
D.B.B.

Great finally someone wrote a review. Great job man

I can't wait for this. I see them next show
Old 06-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I see them on Saturday.

I'm so fucking excited, but I get Dance of Death so...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post

I'm so fucking excited, and I get Paschendale
Edited for what I would have said.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I see them on Saturday.

I'm so fucking excited, but I get Dance of Death so...
... isn't it Sunday?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:38 AM
N00B

just saw the phoenix show, i give it an 8 out of ten, for the following reasons:
1) during the the 3rd song (wrathchild) the front of house PA cut out for ten seconds, stage volume and monitors were still present, i am not sure about smaller front fills.
2) the set seemed to drag a little , especially with the placement of "dance of death", followed by "reincarnation of ben breeg", this is where many fans seemed to get bored, and as mentioned before, "these colours don't run" really got the crowd going again. ( dont get me wrong, i love the newer stuff, but some of the set seemed tired, and maybe the setlist needs adjusted, is it me, or is the switching setlist largely based on alternating the songs done by adrian smith, verses jannick gers?) personally i would have liked to see paschendale instead of DOD or wildest dreams, and i envy the new mexico set gaining brighter than 1000 suns and afraid to shoot strangers/
the rest of the set was awesome i really loved BNW, no more lies, all the rest of the BNW material, and the classics especially running free
so i rate it a solid 8, cheers
Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 AM
N00B

I've seen Maiden 14 times over the past 14 years (every tour from X-Factour on except Virtual XI) and this was one of their weaker shows. The set drags incredibly and leaves most bored and surfing their smartphones. I like the reunion material but it doesn't translate live as well as the 80's material. A better mix of songs choices (without slow intros/outros) would have improved the show tremendously.

I'm calling it now...2012 tour with # of the Beast played in its entirety to commemorate its 30th anniversary.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:52 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler71 View Post
and i envy the new mexico set gaining brighter than 1000 suns and afraid to shoot strangers/
i was at the NM show and we did NOT get 1000 suns or ATSS. that was someone stupid who didnt know what they were playing and posted that. only difference with NM was that we got Paschendale instead of DoD.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:01 AM
welp

Dream Theater did Panic Attack?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:21 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

great review Pastulio, loved it !

(to Montsegur) If they ever do NOTB in it's entirety, I will loose it, they should have done it before but let's keep our finger crossed. I don't see it hapening though as Steve has said many times that he doesn't really like Invaders nor Gangland. But we never know maybe they'll play Total Eclipse instead on Gangland.

Up The Irons !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Tags
dream theater, iron maiden