Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Slayer -- Albany, NY -- November 25th, 2014
Ne Obliviscaris -- Sydney, Australia -- November 27th, 2014
Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

The capacity is too big. I find it a complete waste of time being in a crowd that large. The sound is always shit at the front, and to get where the sound is good you're so far back you can't see the band and have to watch them on the screens, which is a pointless way of being at a live music event.

The line-up is sometimes good, sometimes poor, but either way you always end up with most of the bands you want to see playing shitty little 30-minute sets because they book too many bands and can't fit them all in.

It's also full of those really irritating metal scene kids because Wacken has become the iPod of European musical festivals. It's the only one people know about, or bother to find out about, so they all flock to it without thinking.

Within the UK, Download is the same. They have at least improved their line-ups over the last two years.

If you really want to enjoy yourself I would strongly recommend a smaller festival, in the 40,000 people max capacity range. Something like Graspop in Belgium. Then you'll actually be able to get close enough to see the bands you came all this way to see, and hear them properly, you won't be surrounded by teenagers you want to punch, and the bands might get to play more than three songs.

Regardless, there are over 100 festivals every year in Europe, don't go for the big, obvious one without checking out what else is on offer first - usually with cheaper tickets/travel/accom too.

20/11 Threshold
27/11 Accept
16/12 Metal All-Stars
Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Unless you're a giant blubbering vagina, Obscene Extreme should be in your top Euro metal fests to see.
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
The capacity is too big. I find it a complete waste of time being in a crowd that large. The sound is always shit at the front, and to get where the sound is good you're so far back you can't see the band and have to watch them on the screens, which is a pointless way of being at a live music event.

The line-up is sometimes good, sometimes poor, but either way you always end up with most of the bands you want to see playing shitty little 30-minute sets because they book too many bands and can't fit them all in.

It's also full of those really irritating metal scene kids because Wacken has become the iPod of European musical festivals. It's the only one people know about, or bother to find out about, so they all flock to it without thinking.

Within the UK, Download is the same. They have at least improved their line-ups over the last two years.

If you really want to enjoy yourself I would strongly recommend a smaller festival, in the 40,000 people max capacity range. Something like Graspop in Belgium. Then you'll actually be able to get close enough to see the bands you came all this way to see, and hear them properly, you won't be surrounded by teenagers you want to punch, and the bands might get to play more than three songs.

Regardless, there are over 100 festivals every year in Europe, don't go for the big, obvious one without checking out what else is on offer first - usually with cheaper tickets/travel/accom too.
I see it as going to Paris without going to the Eiffel Tower. You'll go, have a great time, and have some great memories, but whenever you share it with someone they ask, "Are there any with you in front of the Eiffel Tower?"

It's just something you have to do. This won't be my last European festival, but Wacken for sure is the largest box to check. You are the first person I've ever heard to come back with a negative response to it.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Wacken for the experience

Obscene Extreme for the bands

12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I see it as going to Paris without going to the Eiffel Tower. You'll go, have a great time, and have some great memories, but whenever you share it with someone they ask, "Are there any with you in front of the Eiffel Tower?"

It's just something you have to do. This won't be my last European festival, but Wacken for sure is the largest box to check. You are the first person I've ever heard to come back with a negative response to it.
Worst excuse ever

Never do things just because it's "the done thing". Damn.

20/11 Threshold
27/11 Accept
16/12 Metal All-Stars
Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Worst excuse ever

Never do things just because it's "the done thing". Damn.
It's not because it's the done thing, but it's the most legendary metal festival, and something I feel like I have to do.

I honestly find it difficult to believe that you weren't at some point overwhelmed by the experience there. Even if you weren't, then I will be for you.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Now I am become Death. The destroyer of worlds.

It's always easier to say don't go when you've already experienced it yourself.

I completely understand where wine is coming from on this, because I kinda have the same mindset. When I do eventually make my way over the pond I will most likely plan to attend multiple festivals, but I'm sure as hell not missing Wacken. It's legendary, I have to experience it at least once.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Personally, I would say check out Graspop at some point, great festival altogether. Wacken, check that one out too, I will myself someday when iv money to hit more than one festival over a summer, Hellfest too, and Bloodstock. Raven is the first person iv heard whose had a totally bad review of it, everyone else has good and bad things to say about it, but mostly good. And I find the line up point to be null and void as everyone likes different bands regardless of whether theyre popular or not. Thought we all got over that when we were 16!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Personally, I would say check out Graspop at some point, great festival altogether. Wacken, check that one out too, I will myself someday when iv money to hit more than one festival over a summer, Hellfest too, and Bloodstock. Raven is the first person iv heard whose had a totally bad review of it, everyone else has good and bad things to say about it, but mostly good. And I find the line up point to be null and void as everyone likes different bands regardless of whether theyre popular or not. Thought we all got over that when we were 16!
Hellfest and Graspop are my other two I'd like to go to at some point.