Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

  #1  
Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 AM
FelipeTheFornicator FelipeTheFornicator is offline
Quien sigue?
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: YYZ
Posts: 42
What do we think about...

morning, guys!

well it would be safe to assume we all attend shows on a fairly regular basis, and the ticket pricing and systems have always been my nemesis, right from the first show i attended (Metallica in Bogota Colombia 1999) here in Canada it is a huge pain in the ass to get front row tickets... example: on the upcoming time machine tour RUSH is only selling those to their 'hardcore' fans that can shell out up to $300 for merchandise that doesnt really appeal to me and no hang out or meet and greet that im aware of... where on the other hand im seeing Canadian Carnage (got my ticket back in November when it was FIRST announced T_T) for around $90, front row and all, at the same venue as the rush show. my issue is the ticket handling (by the retailers and by whoever sets it up on theside of the band) because it is starting to be a little outrageous when it comes to prices and bang-for-the-buck so i was just wondering how you guys feel about this...

here's a piece that came out today here 'round my neck of the woods...and while i dont agree with some of the things he says, i do think he has a good point

http://www.lfpress.com/entertainment.../14349376.html

cheers!
__________________
- Feel welcome to check out my blog at www.themercurypost.com y en Espaņol en rockombia.com/internacionales/ -
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 AM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,828
Blog Entries: 1
I agree with some of this, but I think as a metal fan, very little of it applies. The only time any of this shit affects me is when Maiden comes around, and perhaps Rush (although I won't be able to see them this summer ). He makes some good points, and yeah, if prices were reasonable, I'd go see Lady Gaga this summer, but they aren't, so I'm not. And if prices were reasonable, I'd be seeing Maiden from anywhere but the goddamn lawn. But they're not. I don't think this is a fixable problem when such greed exists, and such a poor understanding of business exists with it. They're basically saying "Less people are going to shows, let's raise the prices so the few who will go no matter what will give us more money." It's a shame, but it is what it is.

Again, fortunately, 97% of the shows I go to are no more than 25 bucks including all charges. It pays to be a fan of music that not everybody's a fan of.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 AM
evildeadjedi's Avatar
evildeadjedi evildeadjedi is offline
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I agree with some of this, but I think as a metal fan, very little of it applies. The only time any of this shit affects me is when Maiden comes around, and perhaps Rush (although I won't be able to see them this summer ). He makes some good points, and yeah, if prices were reasonable, I'd go see Lady Gaga this summer, but they aren't, so I'm not. And if prices were reasonable, I'd be seeing Maiden from anywhere but the goddamn lawn. But they're not. I don't think this is a fixable problem when such greed exists, and such a poor understanding of business exists with it. They're basically saying "Less people are going to shows, let's raise the prices so the few who will go no matter what will give us more money." It's a shame, but it is what it is.

Again, fortunately, 97% of the shows I go to are no more than 25 bucks including all charges. It pays to be a fan of music that not everybody's a fan of.
I agree on all points except I wouldn't go see Lady Gaga even if someone paid me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadjedi View Post
I agree on all points except I wouldn't go see Lady Gaga even if someone paid me.
Yeah, same here, haha.

It just kinda sucks that most of the shows I go to that aren't incredibly cheap are at venues where I have pretty much no way around paying service charges. So while a $20 ticket isn't much, the absolutely absurd $13 of "service charges" does make it a lot worse.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2010, 10:50 AM
JLRedWing13's Avatar
JLRedWing13 JLRedWing13 is offline
I can't stop thinking big
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Yeah, same here, haha.

It just kinda sucks that most of the shows I go to that aren't incredibly cheap are at venues where I have pretty much no way around paying service charges. So while a $20 ticket isn't much, the absolutely absurd $13 of "service charges" does make it a lot worse.
Yeah, the service charge for Maiden tickets was ridiculous.

But I would shell out any amount of money to see Rush...one of my favorite bands and they skip us for the first time in forever.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2010, 11:09 AM
IrritatedTrout's Avatar
IrritatedTrout IrritatedTrout is offline
Not a number, I'm a free man
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRedWing13 View Post
Yeah, the service charge for Maiden tickets was ridiculous.

But I would shell out any amount of money to see Rush...one of my favorite bands and they skip us for the first time in forever.
...travel to see them?
__________________
6/17 - Meshuggah
6/28 - Iron Maiden - Bergen, Norway
6/29 - Blaze Bayley - Bergen, Norway
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2010, 11:14 AM
JLRedWing13's Avatar
JLRedWing13 JLRedWing13 is offline
I can't stop thinking big
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
...travel to see them?
Believe me, I've considered it, but I'm busy on all the three dates I could potentially go (The two Chicago dates and Columbus). So I'm SOL this time. Next year, I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 PM
TonyD's Avatar
TonyD TonyD is offline
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 6,284
I think Lady Gaga is a legitimate artist even though she's the queen of Guidos, I've heard she puts on a really good show too.
__________________
Shit
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,931
I am somewhat amused by the fact that I'm going further to see them just for the sake of getting the tickets I wanted - further than a lot of people who whine that Maiden aren't playing close enough to them, or wouldn't consider "traveling" to see them. There are two shows closer to me than the one I'm going to.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-13-2010, 08:25 PM
FelipeTheFornicator FelipeTheFornicator is offline
Quien sigue?
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: YYZ
Posts: 42
i had a bit of an issue with my maiden tickets too, both with the price and with the system... this whole paperless crap sucks.

id like to know how prices are set and what the bands really think... i think going to see acts like megadeth is a far better deal for your pocket than most comparable tours, they usually bring decent back up (gigantour/carnage/RIP) for a decent price. i paid roughly the same price for the same tickets to see Gigantour and RIP/Carnage that i paid to see Gunners, (and forget about Mayer or TCV) i feel the megadeth shows gave more bang for the buck (putting the discussion of whos better and all that aside) last year for Tool i paid something like 50 or 60 for lawn seats at the Molson Ampitheatre in Toronto and it wasnt bad but the closer spots were more than my usual $90-100 range... yet if you wanna go see Metallica, RUSH (or increasingly now Maiden) you have to shell out more for comparable spots. this apparent band or organizetion mentality towards us the fans reminds me of what JayJay French said a few months back...

ahh and what also makes me question this ticketing business is that I'm seeing Maiden and Carnage at the same venue where rushh will play, the Apitheatre in TO, and for the same spots on all three shows the ticket price difference is between 20 to 200 bucks!!
__________________
- Feel welcome to check out my blog at www.themercurypost.com y en Espaņol en rockombia.com/internacionales/ -
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008