ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014
Samhain -- Chicago, IL -- September 13th, 2014

Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Spoiler: Ignorant American comment ahead.

I understand that most people watching the world cup know something about soccer (futbol, whatever you arses) but they're showing the US v England game on ABC.....dumbing down the game calling or maybe taking time to remind the viewers of the rules at certain intervals throughout the 90 minutes would be very helpful. I don't know what any of the players' positions do, besides defenders and goalies. I know that they kick the ball or hit it with their heads.....but I have no idea what offsides is, no idea why they play for so long, never stopping the clock even when people are on the ground, bleeding out of the face.

Also, they play for 90 minutes but the referees can just arbitarily add time to the clock? So, we got 7 minutes extra minutes total, but they didn't feel it was worth it to play until someone won? Also, when they say, for example, "Smith is leaving the game" or "Covington is being subbed out", it would be nice for them to say "Smith for USA" or "Smith for England" because I don't know who any of these people are or who they play for. Even in the NBA they say things like "Pierce has really pulled through for this Celtics team", and you can figure out who the hell they are talking about.

Also, they use alot of slang that only people who were raised on soccer would understand. I totally understand why they do that: I'm sure it is the same with football and basketball, I just don't notice, but still.

As an American non-soccer watcher, the game and the coverage seemed pretty inaccessible. Lots of guys running around and kicking the ball high into the air....not alot of action. It was fun to see the goalie save it, but all the stuff going on in between the goals was boring. I am not a hockey fan, but it seems the two sports are very similar. In hockey, however, the field/rink is shorter so there the game is faster paced.

Those are my two, ignorant American, cents.
I know after the game on SportsCenter they went over what constituted offsides or not after the very first game of the cup, but they're probably assuming that people have a good idea what "offsides" means in a sport.

They play for 2 45 mintue halves, and for each injury/whatever, they tack it on to the end of the half. You can't continuously stop and start soccer, like football, baseball, etc. That means plays/substitutions have to be made on the fly. I find it incredibly more entertaining than other sports.

And if it's boring to you, oh well. :shrug:

I'm not going to watch the NBA finals because it's boring to me.
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2
Old 06-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Banned Asshole

this year's NBA finals have been epic
Old 06-12-2010, 11:30 PM
In Search of Truth

Might as well throw my 2 cents into the ring here regarding sports:

I think hockey annihilates everything else.

Behind that...

I appreciate basketball for the pace of the game, but I don't appreciate the fact that I consider it practically the easiest of the "Major" sports to play. I want to see these guys have to ice skate while they play basketball, and maybe we'd be talking. Still, it's not mind-numbing for me to watch, and I totally understand WHY people like it.

I think baseball and football are both boring as fuck for a bunch of different reasons. Football I especially dislike for the atrocious action-to-inaction ratio in a broadcast. For every 5 seconds of action, there's roughly 35 seconds of guys standing around. I also don't think there's a sport that loses so many points for how people involved in it directly (on all levels) are arrogant douches that think their jobs are SO much more important than they are. On the subject of baseball, I can somewhat forgive its boring quality for the sake of the fact that the games are supposed to have more of a relaxed, good-timey feel, rather than an intense and emotional one. I can respect that, but I still find it boring - and it comes down to that in the end.

I confess I have never followed soccer enough to really "get it" or make a fair assessment, so I'm not going to try.

Regarding "secondary" sports: I think golf is a great relaxing game to play but watching it on TV is about as interesting as watching a documentary on paint drying. Nascar? Pfft. I gotta admit, I don't watch a lot of it on TV, but I really enjoy tennis a lot. I'll occasionally watch it on TV and it's the only sport I actively play. Hard to explain why I like it, I just do.

I guess that about covers everything - aside from my weird interest in watching Championship Billiards on TV.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned Asshole

What has happened to football? It used tone mybfavoritr but now it's becoming utterly painful 2 watch.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I think golf is a great relaxing game to play
FUCK THAT

I HATE PLAYING GOLF

AUUUGH IT MAKES ME BURST A BLOOD VESSEL JUST THINKING ABOUT IT
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2
Old 06-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Banned Asshole

then don't think about playing it
Old 06-13-2010, 09:33 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
FUCK THAT

I HATE PLAYING GOLF

AUUUGH IT MAKES ME BURST A BLOOD VESSEL JUST THINKING ABOUT IT
Someone's bad at putting.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 AM
I can't stop thinking big

Football is still one of the best sports to watch for me.....but maybe being in a college marching band and getting to see the games really close up has something to do with that.
7/18 - Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper
Old 06-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Someone's bad at putting.
Putting is awesome. If I could have someone drive for me and I could just putt, I'd play golf every fucking day.
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2
Old 06-13-2010, 11:30 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Putting is awesome. If I could have someone drive for me and I could just putt, I'd play golf every fucking day.
Mini-golf. I was 3 under par the last time I played.