Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 PM
xStructualDefect's Avatar
xStructualDefect xStructualDefect is offline
.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I have gotten pretty sick of people using this like it's a dirty word, and that people should be ashamed for classifying themselves as metalheads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
i'm glad i grew out of my metalhead mentality.
.
__________________
1.19 Nightwish
2.4 August Burns Red
2.13 Bodom
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
.
My original statement still stands.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
i'm glad i grew out of my metalhead mentality.
I'm happy I shed my "I have to take everything seriously" mentality too.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
xStructualDefect's Avatar
xStructualDefect xStructualDefect is offline
.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
My original statement still stands.
i'm a metalhead, but i grew out of the metalhead mentality. which means i don't say and think "you're wrong, this band is better, it's a fact, not an opinion" "my metal music is better than everyone elses' shitty generic radio rock or (insert genre or metal sub-genre here)."

i am not trying to start to an arguement, but majortiy of metalheads i've met have that mentality. i realized that no matter how much better we think our music is than someone elses', not everyone enjoys metal, a certain sub genre of metal, or the same metal we like. a year ago, someone could've said my metal sucks, and (insert radio rock band here) is better. i would've laughed in their face thinking how much better my music is than theirs. nowadays i accept and think okay, not everyone wants to listen to metal, it's unlistenable to some people, especially extreme metal, some people would much rather prefer generic radio rock.
__________________
1.19 Nightwish
2.4 August Burns Red
2.13 Bodom
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,916
To elaborate:

I obviously know what you meant, xStructuralDefect - I just want to point out that I can't stand that you're referring to it as "metalhead mentality" - you know, as though people who listen to other styles of music are never ignorant, dick-ish, elitist, and/or completely stupid when it comes to their opinions on music. Stupid, ignorant people are everywhere and they listen to all styles of music. Don't condemn just because you think you're too good to be lumped in with other "metalheads".
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-02-2010, 10:49 PM
xStructualDefect's Avatar
xStructualDefect xStructualDefect is offline
.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
To elaborate:

I obviously know what you meant, xStructuralDefect - I just want to point out that I can't stand that you're referring to it as "metalhead mentality" - you know, as though people who listen to other styles of music are never ignorant, dick-ish, elitist, and/or completely stupid when it comes to their opinions on music. Stupid, ignorant people are everywhere and they listen to all styles of music. Don't condemn just because you think you're too good to be lumped in with other "metalheads".
i call it that because almost EVERY SINGLE metalhead i have met, or seen posting online has that mentality. hell, i used to have that mentality. no offense but majority of people on this board have that mentality. now that i think about it i've probably only met VERY few very accepting metalheads, and i have met a lot of metalheads. i talk to a lot of people that listen to all sorts of music. all of them are accepting that i like metal and don't talk shit, even if they don't like it at all. a lot of my friends (guy friends, girls don't like it at all ) actually like my metal, which is how i got a lot of my friends into metal and convinced them to go to shows with me. i wouldn't consider them metalheads though.

whereas if you state you like a band, group, or artist that you like that's usually hated or hust disliked on by metalheads to metalheads, you are almost positive to get bashed.
__________________
1.19 Nightwish
2.4 August Burns Red
2.13 Bodom
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X

Last edited by xStructualDefect; 06-02-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,349
Blog Entries: 19
you wrong
__________________
07/24 - Mutilation Rites
07/25 - Masked Intruder
07/27 - Touche Amore
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 AM
JuuKun's Avatar
JuuKun JuuKun is offline
Red Light In My Eyes
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Posts: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
and yours is also invalid. it doesn't make them right, but it doesn't make them wrong either, because it's an opinion. hell, i could say Fall Out Boy is better than Exodus and Nevermore, but that doesn't make me wrong, just an opinion.

(not that i really think that of course)
I wasn't saying that the statement made them wrong, only that it didn't make them right, so, there's another invalid argument on your part. You're the one who said that a lot of people would agree with you on NIN being better than those bands, as if mass opinion meant a damn when it comes to the worth of a band.

As for this whole "metalhead mentality" thing we're talking about: I'd much rather get into a discussion/debate with a fellow metalhead over a band, as opposed to "Oh hey, do you like (metal band)??" "No, but I don't care that you do! Do you like (awful pop rock band)??" "No, but it's okay that you do!" Yeah, being an elitist makes you a bit of a dick, but it makes for better conversations, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-03-2010, 04:00 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 17,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I have gotten pretty sick of people using this like it's a dirty word, and that people should be ashamed for classifying themselves as metalheads.
It's not a dirty word... it's just a shit one. I don't use it because it sounds fucking dumb.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival

Last edited by ravenheart; 06-03-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Derelict's Avatar
Derelict Derelict is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,194
Back to the topic at hand - Fonzbear, do you regularly post while drunk and/or high?
__________________
7/20 QOTSA
7/30 NINSG
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008