Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I have gotten pretty sick of people using this like it's a dirty word, and that people should be ashamed for classifying themselves as metalheads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
i'm glad i grew out of my metalhead mentality.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
My original statement still stands.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
i'm glad i grew out of my metalhead mentality.
I'm happy I shed my "I have to take everything seriously" mentality too.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
My original statement still stands.
i'm a metalhead, but i grew out of the metalhead mentality. which means i don't say and think "you're wrong, this band is better, it's a fact, not an opinion" "my metal music is better than everyone elses' shitty generic radio rock or (insert genre or metal sub-genre here)."

i am not trying to start to an arguement, but majortiy of metalheads i've met have that mentality. i realized that no matter how much better we think our music is than someone elses', not everyone enjoys metal, a certain sub genre of metal, or the same metal we like. a year ago, someone could've said my metal sucks, and (insert radio rock band here) is better. i would've laughed in their face thinking how much better my music is than theirs. nowadays i accept and think okay, not everyone wants to listen to metal, it's unlistenable to some people, especially extreme metal, some people would much rather prefer generic radio rock.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 PM
In Search of Truth

To elaborate:

I obviously know what you meant, xStructuralDefect - I just want to point out that I can't stand that you're referring to it as "metalhead mentality" - you know, as though people who listen to other styles of music are never ignorant, dick-ish, elitist, and/or completely stupid when it comes to their opinions on music. Stupid, ignorant people are everywhere and they listen to all styles of music. Don't condemn just because you think you're too good to be lumped in with other "metalheads".
Old 06-02-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
To elaborate:

I obviously know what you meant, xStructuralDefect - I just want to point out that I can't stand that you're referring to it as "metalhead mentality" - you know, as though people who listen to other styles of music are never ignorant, dick-ish, elitist, and/or completely stupid when it comes to their opinions on music. Stupid, ignorant people are everywhere and they listen to all styles of music. Don't condemn just because you think you're too good to be lumped in with other "metalheads".
i call it that because almost EVERY SINGLE metalhead i have met, or seen posting online has that mentality. hell, i used to have that mentality. no offense but majority of people on this board have that mentality. now that i think about it i've probably only met VERY few very accepting metalheads, and i have met a lot of metalheads. i talk to a lot of people that listen to all sorts of music. all of them are accepting that i like metal and don't talk shit, even if they don't like it at all. a lot of my friends (guy friends, girls don't like it at all ) actually like my metal, which is how i got a lot of my friends into metal and convinced them to go to shows with me. i wouldn't consider them metalheads though.

whereas if you state you like a band, group, or artist that you like that's usually hated or hust disliked on by metalheads to metalheads, you are almost positive to get bashed.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X

Last edited by xStructualDefect; 06-02-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

you wrong
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
and yours is also invalid. it doesn't make them right, but it doesn't make them wrong either, because it's an opinion. hell, i could say Fall Out Boy is better than Exodus and Nevermore, but that doesn't make me wrong, just an opinion.

(not that i really think that of course)
I wasn't saying that the statement made them wrong, only that it didn't make them right, so, there's another invalid argument on your part. You're the one who said that a lot of people would agree with you on NIN being better than those bands, as if mass opinion meant a damn when it comes to the worth of a band.

As for this whole "metalhead mentality" thing we're talking about: I'd much rather get into a discussion/debate with a fellow metalhead over a band, as opposed to "Oh hey, do you like (metal band)??" "No, but I don't care that you do! Do you like (awful pop rock band)??" "No, but it's okay that you do!" Yeah, being an elitist makes you a bit of a dick, but it makes for better conversations, IMO.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
I have gotten pretty sick of people using this like it's a dirty word, and that people should be ashamed for classifying themselves as metalheads.
It's not a dirty word... it's just a shit one. I don't use it because it sounds fucking dumb.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest

Last edited by ravenheart; 06-03-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:15 AM
N00B

Back to the topic at hand - Fonzbear, do you regularly post while drunk and/or high?