Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM
We're dying on the inside

Spartacus Workout

As we all know, sometimes our manly conversations on here touch on topics such as health and fitness. Most all of us, in-shape and out-of-shape alike, do our best to improve ourselves physically. Rarely does this intersect with metal, though, so when I saw this, I was pretty stoked. Forgot to share it until now, but take a look and share your comments. I'm going to run through this later this afternoon and see if it's something I want to keep on with. Check it out.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/hi...rcuit-routine/ (the workout)

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010...tacus-workout/ (the metal, part 1)

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010...us-workout-ii/ (the metal, part 2 - actually just another playlist)

I'm going to do a playlist myself of all Pig Destroyer tracks if I like the workout enough to stick with it. Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I started the Couch To 5K running workout a few weeks. It's basically a workout that alternates between running and walking for certain amounts of time, and gradually you start running more than you walk. It's supposed to be a 9 week program. I did the first week, but my knees and shins started giving me problems so I've slowed down to just walking for a while, but that and a better diet (usually SlimFast shakes for breakfast and lunch, with a sensible dinner) has helped me lose a few pounds so far.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
N00B

I've lost 45 lbs since the beginning of November....I don't think the workout regimen matters per se, you just need to be consistent and find/come up with a plan that works for you. If it's one off the internet, one out of a magazine, or one you came up with yourself/with a trainer, then thats what works for you. This workout looks pretty solid.

Also, just as important, is your food intake. Weigh yourself every day under the same conditions (ie i weigh myself in boxers every morning after i pee but before breakfast) and keep track of the weight. Also, at least at the beginning, try to get a rough idea of your calorie consumption. There are websites/phone apps out there that can help you with this, and also tell you what you should be consuming based on age/weight/target. For me, cutting out soda/most of my alcohol has made a huge difference.

@powerslave - you need to be religious about stretching your shins out a couple times a day, at least at the beginning. I like to lay on my back, put one leg into the air at a time, and make the alphabet with my toes using my shin muscles. Has really made a big difference.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 AM
N00B

Also, this has been a big help as well : http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home

I don't think most people (myself included) realize just how bad the food they eat is, especially at chain sit down restaraunts (seriously, 2,000 calorie burgers!). Really good reading through there, and they have a good phone app with a lot of the same info.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

@powerslave - you need to be religious about stretching your shins out a couple times a day, at least at the beginning. I like to lay on my back, put one leg into the air at a time, and make the alphabet with my toes using my shin muscles. Has really made a big difference.
Huh, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

And yeah, I've definitely kept a better eye on my calorie and fat intake. That, and I haven't had a beer in at least a month, which I'm sure will help immensely.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:49 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Huh, I'll give that a try. Thanks!
Hope that helps - there's more stuff here (and thats where i got this exercise from)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Hmm, that's interesting because after reading that, it seems like it might be CCS instead, because what I'm experiencing matches the symptoms (the pain steadily gets worse as my workout progresses, and sometimes I do get the tingling in my foot, which I'd previously attributed to tying my shoes too tight).

EDIT: After reading on it a bit more, I don't think that it's it. Pretty sure it's just bad shin splints. I'm going to try those stretches and maybe some arch supports for my shoes and see if that makes any difference.

Last edited by powerslave_85; 06-02-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:26 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
Also, this has been a big help as well : http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home

I don't think most people (myself included) realize just how bad the food they eat is, especially at chain sit down restaraunts (seriously, 2,000 calorie burgers!). Really good reading through there, and they have a good phone app with a lot of the same info.
Damn, this is good stuff.

Yeah, I'm watching what I eat too. I've finally found an actually delicious zero calorie, zero sugar, caffeinated drink to replace soda (my Achilles heel) - Lipton Diet White Tea With Raspberry. Shit's fantastic. Foodwise, yeah, I love to eat, so it's tough sometimes, but I'm doing a generally better job just by not doing things that are clearly a terrible idea, which I'm used to doing. Two different grilled chicken salads for lunch the past two days, and I'm not complaining.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

My roommate tried that Spartacus workout and said it was crazy hard (and he was in very good shape). I may try it sometime, I'll have to see if I have the correct weights. I only have two dumbbell bars so I may not have enough time to change the weights in between the different sets.

I always recommend HIIT because it's awesome.

http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Damn, this is good stuff.

Yeah, I'm watching what I eat too. I've finally found an actually delicious zero calorie, zero sugar, caffeinated drink to replace soda (my Achilles heel) - Lipton Diet White Tea With Raspberry. Shit's fantastic. Foodwise, yeah, I love to eat, so it's tough sometimes, but I'm doing a generally better job just by not doing things that are clearly a terrible idea, which I'm used to doing. Two different grilled chicken salads for lunch the past two days, and I'm not complaining.
Yeah, food's delicious, and I love to eat like a slob - enough cardio can balance out most food mistakes though. And if you are going to eat like a pig, try to do it for lunch, not dinner.