Judas Priest -- Worcester, MA -- July 26th, 1988
Arsis -- West Springfield, VA -- September 1st, 2014
Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 AM
In Search of Truth

This list is so hard for me to do objectively - I just know that Iron Maiden's Brave New World was without a doubt the biggest.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Ironbound

1) Y&T - Meanstreak - This was the earliest album I remember listening to with my dad was I was very young. He played it all the time when we would go out for drives or when we would go fishing. Y&T was without a doubt the first band that turned me on to music.

2) Overkill - Under the Influence - When I got just a little bit older, while still proud of my hard rock roots, I wanted to add some heavier music to my catalog. I was already into Megadeth and Metallica, but there was a point that I was looking for more, as those bands had already mellowed out significantly when I was old enough to really get into them, so I was turned on to Slayer and Overkill around the same time, but chose Overkill here as they ended up being one of my favorite bands of all time still to this day.

3) Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera - Growing up with metal in general, including Savatage, it wasn't until Streets where I really felt a true connection with this band. From the first time I heard this album, through now, it remains one of my favorite albums of all time. I am very passionate about all things Savatage and this album is one of the greatest examples why.

4) Avantasia - The Metal Opera - In my quest for more music in a stagnant American Metal Scene, I found this album online, ordered it and took a chance. This album opened so many doors for me, as it is the reason I listen to so much Power Metal and Progressive Metal today. Every vocalist on that album turned me on to a new band, it was and still is amazing.

5) Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane - While I was already starting to listen to bands like Children of Bodom, In Flames, and At the Gates, and for a long time been into Carcass and Death, I would say this album bridged the gap for me between Melodic Death Metal into Black Metal, again forcing me to discover so many new bands in two somewhat similar genres.

Edit: I am adding an honorable mention, Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction, and it would fall inbetween Y&T and Overkill. Guns N' Roses was really the first band I called my own and basically discovered on my own.

Last edited by The Green and Black; 05-24-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

Led Zepplin - I or Black Sabbath-S/T:Thanks to my parents these gems I heard at an early age along with Pink Floyd, The Who, The Allman Brothers Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Deep Purple, Buffalo Springfield, and Lynard Skynrd.

Slayer - Reign in Blood: Thrash metal at it's finest me and my friend Bryan prior to Slayer thought Metallica was the most brutal music we had heard. The first time I heard the opening riff of "Angel of Death" I got cold chills SO BRUTAL SO BEAUTIFUL! He also introduced me to Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Velvet Underground, Motorhead, Venom, Anthrax, Exodus, Cannibal Corpse, etc cause his sister had a very extensive vinyl and tape collection.

Clutch - S/T & Escape from La Soundtrack: Clutch and the White Zombie song was the highlight of the soundtrack and was the reason I bought S/T album. However, my first exposure to Clutch was on a Beavis and Butthead episode where they played the video for "A Shogun Named Marcus". Many of the bands I discovered I first heard on Beavis and Butthead like Suicidal Tendencies, The Melvins, Megadeath, Testament, Mercyful Fate, Pentagram, Trouble, Death, Sepultura, GWAR, Pantera, Napalm Death, etc.

The Misfits - Collection Volume 1 and 2: These two marked my second love with punk prior to this it was metal, rap, and classic rock. Strange thing is when this happened near the end of high school I got really anti commercial music and only would listen to underground bands.

Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Barely Breathing - None of the other KSE (well S/T was pretty good but this is my personal favorite) were better than this one, Jesse was such a great front man! My friend Ian made me a mix cd with Children of Bodom, Hypocrisy, Crytopsy, Bolt Thrower, Blind Guardian, Celtic Frost, Decapitated, Amon Amarth, Immortal, Bathory, and Killswitch Engage was the first track. It was the first time I heard "Fixation on the Darkness" I was hooked and I stopped listening to most Punk, Ska and Hardcore going back to my heavy metal roots.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Ironbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Metallica - S&M
Aerosmith - A Little South of Sanity
Dio - Lock Up The Wolves
W.A.S.P. - The Best of The Best

Explanations and maybe a fifth album later.
I KNEW the Dio album would be there! But have to say I'm a little suprised by the Aerosmith, in particular that album, so I'll be waiting for your explanations.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

It's all to do with my path into rock/metal. That was an important album. And it's still a good one. Easily their best live recording.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Ironbound

Quote:
It's all to do with my path into rock/metal. That was an important album. And it's still a good one. Easily their best live recording.
I never said it was bad, was just interested in your thought process.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm still trying to decide what the fifth one will be...

There aren't many more that changed my perceptions as such, which is the most important thing here, it just all escalated from W.A.S.P., really.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Ironbound

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide what the fifth one will be...

There aren't many more that changed my perceptions as such, which is the most important thing here, it just all escalated from W.A.S.P., really.
Opeth?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 PM

I thought of them, but I actually started with the soft one

It'll probably be Slayer, Ayreon, Guns N' Roses... oh! oh! Fuckin' duh! 'No Rest For The Wicked'. Fuckwit.

That does mean there's no room for 'We Sold Our Souls For Rock 'n' Roll' though... Hmmm.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Ironbound

Quote:
I thought of them, but I actually started with the soft one

It'll probably be Slayer, Ayreon, Guns N' Roses... oh! oh! Fuckin' duh! 'No Rest For The Wicked'. Fuckwit.

That does mean there's no room for 'We Sold Our Souls For Rock 'n' Roll' though... Hmmm.
I thought about Guns N' Roses, they were really the first band I called my own, but I didn't think it was a signifcant enough jump after Y&T. If I could do a top 6, I would say Appetite for Destruction would be in there for sure.