Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland - September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 05-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Metallica - S&M
Aerosmith - A Little South of Sanity
Dio - Lock Up The Wolves
W.A.S.P. - The Best of The Best

Explanations and maybe a fifth album later.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 05-24-2010, 05:36 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
1. Evanescence - Fallen
This was the first real album I ever owned (I got it right after I finished the 5th grade). After hearing "Going Under" at the end credits of the game "Enter the Matrix" and "Bring Me to Life" on the radio all the time, I knew that I had to have their CD. I remember hearing all of the songs on the album and just loving each and every one. The dark melodies, the heavy guitars, the "epic" parts with choir/orchestration, I loved it all. As I much later started getting into "true" metal, I found myself going back to this album and still loving it, though with a greater understanding of its content.
That album along with disturbed got me into rock and metal when I was ten. I remember thinking fallen was the greatest thing ever at that time but if you knew what i listend to before rock/metal you would understand why.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 AM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
That album along with disturbed got me into rock and metal when I was ten. I remember thinking fallen was the greatest thing ever at that time but if you knew what i listend to before rock/metal you would understand why.
Disturbed was big for me as well. Pretty much all the bands that played on the Ozzfest '06 main stage really helped me get into metal.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:34 AM
N00B

Ministry - Psalm 69
Sepultura - Arise
Paradise Lost - One Second
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Death - Symbolic
Old 05-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Concert Veteran

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Anthrax - Among The Living
Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer
Alice Cooper - Constrictor (the first hard rock/metal style album I ever owned)
Megadeth - Rust In Peace

I could easily make this more than five albums but I don't want the list to get too long Also, all these albums I had on cassette first before I upgraded them to CD once my parents finally got me a CD player
Old 05-24-2010, 07:30 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

System of a Down - System of a Down: First album that I really listened to of my own choosing (as in not just whatever was on the radio, or someone else's/my parents' stuff etc.) Arguably started my entire interest in music, definitely started my interest in metal.

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast: Not enough I can even say about this album - I don't even know where I would start. But I can definitely say that shortly after I got this album, Maiden became my favorite band - and have been for about 7 years now.

In Flames - Clayman: In short, this was the album that made me accept death metal. I was very anti-growl, anti-scream, and all the jazz for quite some time. But the good riffs and melodies in some death metal inspired me to listen to it anyway ("jeez this would be good if they could actually sing" etc.). But the day that I first got this album, was when everything clicked. Since then I've added all forms of growly music to my list of favorites.

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King: Another obvious choice. Basically this album turned me into someone obsessed with prog. Every song on this album is complete gold to me (yes, even Moonchild), and I've listened to it constantly for the past 5 years or so... but the first time I heard it, it was like everything was right in the world because of this damn music. It's that good.

Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes: Hmmm. For some reason, I knew that this album should be on this list, but I wasn't entirely sure why. I think that it's the album that has influenced me the most as a musician and writer. When I first heard this album, something resonated in me that said "this is what music should sound like." Not the specific sound of course, but the general sense I got from the way the music was written.... it's hard to explain.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Bobb O)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
Slipknot - Slipknot
While I cant stand this band these days, I cant deny the fact that they are one of the bands that got me into metal in the first place and for that I thank them. I remember back then when I thought "Spit it Out" and "Eyeless" were the heaviest songs in the world
very much agreed, slipknot was the first band that really set me off into the world of metal, and i can't deny or play it off just because of how they're considered in all hte other scenes i get in to. i mean my dad brought me up listening to like nirvana and alice and chains too, so that helped me get into other heavy shit, but what started me on the road was seeing the video for duality in 9th grade and getting into their albums right there. they were also the first band t-shirt i ever bough, and now i collect the damn things like baseball cards, so slipknot will always hold a special place in my heart, no matter what onscure, extreme, tr00 metal i will get into.
10/4-Melvins
Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Linkin Park-Hybrid Theory
When i was 11 this album just blew my mind. I can pretty much thank Linkin Park for getting me into heavy music.

Metallica-Master Of Puppets
Metallica was the first older metal band I had ever listened to. They were the gateway band for me to bands like Megadeth,Iron Maiden,Black Sabbath, Judas Priest,Slayer etc. Metallica got me into classics and also exposed to me to my favorite genre of metal Thrash.

The Black Dahlia Murder-Miasma
The gateway to death metal for me. When I was 13 I heard this record and it was unlike anything I had heard at the time. It was absurdly heavy and crushing yet really melodic. Now I absoultley love death metal and many of my favorites are in that genre and that is all thanks to the The Black Dahlia Murder(who remain one of my favorite bands of all time).

Iron Maiden-Piece Of Mind

The album that got me hooked on Maiden and remains my favorite Maiden record to this day.

Mastodon-Blood Mountain
No other album has blown my mind as hard as Blood Mountain. Mastodon was already my favorite band for about a year before this came out but this just solidfied it. I think I listened to 200 times in a week from start to finish. Blood Mountain is my all time favorite album and I don't think anything I will ever listen to will top it.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

In chronological order:

Goo Goo Dolls- A Boy Named Goo
The first album I ever bought, in any format. It was important because it was the beginning of me having my own music tastes, and they remained my favorite band for quite a few years.

Green Day- Insomniac
For a lot of people my age, Dookie was their seminal album, but for me it was the follow-up, which was darker, faster and louder. This is the album that planeted the seeds of punk rock for me. I'm pretty sure I literally wore out my cassette copy of it.

Iron Maiden- Powerslave
I could have gone with Brave New World instead; that was the first album of theirs that I fell in love with, but Powerslave was the first time I ever heard them. I was hesitant about the music at first (I was much more used to the Metallica/Megadeth/Black Sabbath approach to metal, and the dueling lead guitars seemed odd to me) but I was hooked on the lyrics about the Battle of Britain, nuclear war, and classic literature. The rest, as they say, is history.

The Clash- London Calling
This album shattered every thing I knew (or thought I knew) about punk. I was expecting something more like the Sex Pistols, but what I got was a sprawling, ecclectic mix of every genre under the sun that somehow worked as a cohesive whole. No two songs sound the same, and they're all flawless. Still my favorite album of all time.

Sleater-Kinney- The Woods
Out of all the other albums I listed, this one had the least impact on my overall taste in music (though it introduced me to riot-grrl and a lot of other female-fronted bands), but it was still a game-changer. I've probably never had a more immediate, visceral reaction to an album on the first listen. It went from "What is this?!?" to "I need to immediately find everything this band has ever done." It's angry, passionate, dynamic, and almost uncomfortably loud. And perfect.

Honorable mention:

Dead Kennedys- Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death and Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
This band is unique in that they not only influenced my musical tastes, but also my personality to some extent. I never realized what a sick sense of humor I had until I found myself laughing at songs like "Funland At the Beach" (the chorus of which is "Crushed little kids adorn the boardwalk!"), "I Kill Children," and "Chemical Warfare." They were also a supremely odd band to listen to for the first time: A guy named Jello who sounded like the guy from the B-52's yelling about Cambodian dictators over creepy surf guitar riffs? It doesn't work on paper, but they were one of the most influential and clever punk bands of all time.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Face The Slayer

In order of time of occurance.

1. AC/DC- Back in Black
The first album I ever bought. Was my entrance to Rock and now, FUCKING METAL. Although not my favorite AC/DC album today, I just remember listening to this album and loving the rock edge to it. Looking up youtube videos of AC/DC and falling in love with Angus Young and his stage presence, and then buying a guitar, an SG like Angus ofcourse. Also the first band t shirt I bought was of this album, although I don't have very many band shirts. AC/DC is still one of my favorite bands to this day.

2. Megadeth- Rust in Peace
This album was one of my first entries into metal other than Sabbath and Maiden and some others. I was blown away by the guitar work of this album. It really placed metal into my life, while not my favorite Megadeth record today, still amazing. Just brilliance, Megadeth became my favorite band after AC/DC and still are up there today.

3. Slayer- Reign in Blood
Up untill now, I might have still considered myself a classic rocker and not a metalhead. This is the album that made me a fucking metalhead. The heaviest, fastest, evilest, most insane thing I had ever heard at this point. I was blown away, I thought this was it, nothing could get more heavy or evil, I was wrong ofcourse, and this isn't my favorite Slayer record anymore, but this might be the single most important record in my life. Slayer is probably my favorite band today, maybe tied with AC/DC though. This album made me who I am, and made me explore more into the heavier side of metal.

4. Mayhem- Live in Leipzig
I first read about Norwegian Black Metal on Wikipedia when I was building my metal knowledge. The story that caught my eye the most was the story of Dead. I was just shocked by him. I wanted to hear him, so I bought the only official Mayhem release with him. I remember this coming in the mail and just staring at it for awhile..When I played it, it was evil. All I can say, the glory of Dead live is shown here. This also made me look intom more black metal.

5. Skeletonwitch- Beyond the Permafrost
This album does it all. It's just brilliant, it mixed all my favorite genres in metal. It also made me realize for sure that the metal scene is still at 100% and made me feel better about living in my generation. Skeletonwitch is my favorite modernish band, their just great.