Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 PM
welp

Top 5 Albums That Changed Your Life

I got the idea to do this from one of those "Pick Your Five" things on Facebook. Just post the albums that you feel changed your life/paved the way for you current taste in music. These ARE NOT supposed to necessarily be your 5 favorite albums. So post 'em, embarrassing or not.

I'll do mine in chronological order:

1. Evanescence - Fallen
This was the first real album I ever owned (I got it right after I finished the 5th grade). After hearing "Going Under" at the end credits of the game "Enter the Matrix" and "Bring Me to Life" on the radio all the time, I knew that I had to have their CD. I remember hearing all of the songs on the album and just loving each and every one. The dark melodies, the heavy guitars, the "epic" parts with choir/orchestration, I loved it all. As I much later started getting into "true" metal, I found myself going back to this album and still loving it, though with a greater understanding of its content.

2. System of a Down - Mezmerize
I remember when I first heard SOAD. I was just sitting around, watching MTV2, when a commercial for this album came on, with "B.Y.O.B." playing in it. I then heard the full song, which I immediately fell in love with. I looked up some of their videos online and just had to have their stuff. I remember clearly making my dad take me to the music store in the mall (Sam Goody, I think?) and have him buy me Mezmerize and Toxicity. I was instantly a die hard fan. I love both of those albums, but Mezmerize is the one that really hit me, and to this day, along with its second half Hypnotize, is one of my all-time favorite albums. They were my favorite band for a while as well, until this next one...

3. Metallica - Master of Puppets
This album is my motherfucking Holy Grail. It inspired me so much, and continues to inspire me to this day. I remember when I was much younger, my dad wanted to play me Metallica. I always refused, thinking they were going to be a Deep Purple (my father's favorite band) type band, who at the time I did not like at all. Then one day I was riding in his car with my sister, and he puts on "Sanitarium." I was instantly blown away. It was nothing like the sound I was expecting, and it was nothing like I've ever heard before. So dark, beautiful, and most of all crushing. I immediately made my dad play it again afterwards. He burnt me a copy of the album, though I always skipped ahead to "Sanitarium." Then I heard "Battery" and the title track. Nuff said. From then on I was a full on Metallimaniac, buying all of their albums, shirts, DVDs, etc. Hetfield was also one of my main inspirations to pick up the guitar. To this day it is still my favorite album of all time, and Metallica are still my favorite band.

4. Slayer - Reign In Blood
What can I say that hasn't been said before? It's fucking REIN IN BLOOD! I remember when I first put on Angel of Death in my mom's car. Needless to say, I fell in love. It was the fastest, most evil sounding thing I have ever heard, and it still gives new bands a run for their money. This would probably be my 2nd or 3rd favorite album of all time.

5. Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding
At this point I was already listening to Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, etc. I've always known the name Cannibal Corpse, but I never listened to them before. I was a little nervous about Slipknot before I started listening to them, so I'm sure you can imagine what I felt about these guys. The brief moments that I've heard any sort of death metal before I absolutely disliked, but when I first heard these guys, something just clicked. Similar to how I got into SOAD, I saw the commercial for KILL with "Make Them Suffer" (username, durr hurr) in it and was completely intrigued. I saw the video for "Make Them Suffer," and later the video for "Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead." My friend had bought Kill, which I listened to a little of, but I didn't borrow it or anything. Later that year, during the Winter holiday season, I decided to spend a FYE gift card that I got for my birthday. With "STTEOTD" being the only other CC song I knew, I decided to buy The Bleeding, along with Slayer's South of Heaven and Trivium's The Crusade. Goddamn what a crushing album. "Staring...," "Stripped, Raped, and Strangled," "Pulverized," all killer stuff. This is the album that really made me expand my horizons into the brutal world of death metal. To this day it's still my favorite CC album, at least from the Barnes era.

Going over this makes me realize how important of a year 2006 was to me, in terms of music.

Wow, that was longer than expected.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
That Guy

I'll also try to do mine in Chronological Order:

Devin Townsend- Terria
My all time 100% will never change top favorite album of all time. It's 72 minutes of pure magic. Gene Hoglan plays drums on here but if you only heard his work in Strapping Young Lad, Death, Dethklok, and Dark Angel, you would never have guessed he could play like this. It's Progressive Metal that is powerful, atmospheric, and poppy. It takes a few listens but if you take the tiome, it will be your favorite album as well.

Dream Theater- Images and Words
The album that made me wanna stay playing drums. Sure, it is not perfect in production but every song on here is a DT classic. People might only know DT for either excessive wankery, or their "hit" Pull Me Under back in 1992, but there is so much beyond those two habit forming opinions, Images and Words proves that.

Dredg- El Cielo
Dredg is one of the most underrated bands going today, Bands like The Fray can ripoff their style, make it poppier and so much crappier and become a huge band, while Dredg is struggling to break even. This album is one their highlights. While they have yet to NOT make a masterpiece, this is the first album to make me realize how much perfection Dredg really is. Also everytime they play in MN, I get to hang out with Drew (Dredg's bassist) for at least a good half hour. I'm actually going to see them this Sunday and Drew specifically asked me to wear my Iced Earth shirt. He's a huge metalhead like me.

Pain Of Salvation- Remedy Lane
No album has ever come this close to home as Remedy Lane. Besides Daniel G. being one of if not the best voice in Prog Metal, the whole concept of this album I have lived (except for the song A Trace of Blood). Any guy who has ever been in a relationship and dealt with love, hate, sex, miscarriage, betrayal, etc. This album will really hit home with you and possibly even bring some tears to your eyes. It did for me the first time I heard it.

Long Distance Calling- Avoid The Light
This has quickly become one of my favorite albums and it just came out this year. LDC is a Progressive Post Metal band, that isn't afraid of coming up with Prog in Post Metal and vice versa. they are almost always instrumental but ATL features Jonas of Katatonia on the song The Nearing Grave (Youtube it NOW!!!). Also the drums are beyond phenomenal. I hope these guys become HHHUUUGGGEEE!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

1. Ben Folds - Ben Folds Live

While Rockin' The Suburbs got me into taking music seriously, his live album got me into his back catalogue and really opened me up to live concerts as well. If it wasn't for Ben Folds, I wouldn't be here on this forum right now.

2. Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro

Helped solidify my love of the metal genre and helped me through a rough period in my life. My favorite band, and my choice for the best extreme metal release of all time.

3. Boris - Amplifier Worship

Got me into the heavier, slower stuff. Made me realize that it can't be all speed all the time, and that wasn't such a bad thing. Probably in my top 5 albums of all time.

4. Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet

At a time when I was really sad and stuff, AWK came along and really changed my outlook on everything. It's better to be happy than to be sad and every song on this album does just that.

5. AFI - Sing The Sorrow

My most listened to album of junior high. I can't really get into their old stuff and I can't get into anything after it, but this album was the perfect mix for me. Aw yeah, sucka.
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 05-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Hmmm..
In no order:

GWAR- America Must Be Destroyed- This is still possibly my favorite album of all time. First heard it in 7th grade and I've listened to it more than any other album, I know it to an extent that I can't even compare to any other albums. I had heard a few GWAR records before it but this is what solidified them as my favorite band. Everything about it is perfect, and I recently acquired the original LP (with the alternate cover, as seen in my avatar) which reignited my love for it after not listening to it for a few months.

Green Day- Kerplunk- I guess you could say this is what got me 'into' music. Between 2nd and probably 4th or 5th grade I literally listened to it every night before I went to sleep. Can't say I enjoy it very much anymore, but every now and then for nostalgia's sake .

Autopsy- Mental Funeral- This one is more recent, about a year ago I first heard it and was hooked since. I had Severed Survival for a few years but it never really did anything for me, now I would say it's quite good but regardless of popular opinion, Mental Funeral is the quintessential Autopsy album, and totally changed my thoughts on what doom(/death) metal could be, and unfortunately made me like a lot of death metal significantly less.

System of a Down- System of a Down- Back to early 6th grade, this is probably what got me more interested in heavy music. Never really cared about harder rock but for some reason I was really fascinated by this one. I haven't heard it in a few years though, not really sure why, I still think they are decent.

Cattle Decapitation- Humanure- My friend Jimmy got this for me as a birthday present in 8th grade, and I had Cannibal Corpse's Vile which I had listened to a few times, but this was my first death metal album. Fell in love with it, and then later with all of Cattle's music, but this record totally shifted my musical interest to the extent that for some time I gave up listening to most everything softer than it. Still one of my favorites.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM
We're dying on the inside

Collin Raye - Extremes: Kinda generic mid-90s country album, but my family wore out that cassette tape on car rides and it was the first thing to instill a love of music in me. Still a great album for me, along with a couple of his other 90s records. Some of that's nostalgia, some of it's because he's one of the best singers EVAH.

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast: 12 years old. Heard the title track, bought the album, never turned back. The sole reason that I'm a metalhead.

Genesis - Foxtrot: Heard "Supper's Ready" on AOL Radio ('member that?), bought the record and realized I needed to be into prog rock. Not my first prog record, but the one that made me a prog nut. I'm not sure that I'm still even a prog nut, really, but for a while there I liked old prog just as much as metal.

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul: Was never attracted to extreme metal until I heard this and realized there could be hooks and melodies AND death vocals. Again, never turned back. Responsible for my love of all extreme forms of metal.

Mastodon - Leviathan: In 2004, I was still mostly playing "classics catchup" and ignoring most new metal releases. Heard this, realized how much ass they can kick, set me up to do what I mainly do now, which is hear a shit ton of new stuff every year.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Rats off to ya

Slipknot - Slipknot
While I cant stand this band these days, I cant deny the fact that they are one of the bands that got me into metal in the first place and for that I thank them. I remember back then when I thought "Spit it Out" and "Eyeless" were the heaviest songs in the world

System of a Down - Mezmorize
This is another one of the bands that got me into metal but unlike Slipknot I actually still like this band. After I first heard BYOB I listened to it every day for the next 6 months.

Metallica - Metallica
Another one that helped me get into metal. I eventually grew very tired of this album but it was my introduction to Metallica.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace
After hearing albums such as Among the Living, South of Heaven, and Bonded by Blood. I became obsessed with thrash, but I cant put them all on here so I chose what is probably my favorite thrash album ever Rust in Peace. This album is just perfect in every way, I never get tired of it.

AC/DC - Highway to Hell
AC/DC was the first band I ever liked, Highway to hell was the first song I ever liked. I first heard this when I was 8 and still cherish it to this day.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Hmmm..
In no order:

GWAR- America Must Be Destroyed- This is still possibly my favorite album of all time. First heard it in 7th grade and I've listened to it more than any other album, I know it to an extent that I can't even compare to any other albums. I had heard a few GWAR records before it but this is what solidified them as my favorite band. Everything about it is perfect, and I recently acquired the original LP (with the alternate cover, as seen in my avatar) which reignited my love for it after not listening to it for a few months.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

In order of importance...

1. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast: I was getting into music when I was about 10, after a long time of not really finding anything compelling. I bought this album when I was 13 and I was looking for music that I found entertaining. I found it in some bargain store in Camden and I had always succumbed to the negative attention metal had, but decided to get it anyway. My mom nearly had a heart attack when she saw I bought it, but listening to it changed my life forever.

2. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs: I was talking to a friend of mine during this time of musical odyssey I was undergoing when I was about 13 or 14, and he asked me if I'd heard of Tom Waits. I said no, and the next thing I knew he had run to his car and gave me a copy of this album. I consider it one of the most important albums that allowed me to delve into music.

3. Slayer - Reign in Blood: Granted, now it might not be my favorite Slayer album, but this was the first album I was a bit guilty about buying. I was nervous to get into metal, but as much as I credit Iron Maiden for opening the door, I credit this album to kicking me in. I had never heard something so fast, so aggressive, so heavy, and it felt so awesome to me as a listener. Waits helped me get into music, Maiden helped me get into metal, but Slayer was what made me stay into it forever.

4. Carcass - Heartwork: This probably was the first album that I felt gripped me in the death metal genre. I heard this album, listened to it again, then again, then ran to my computer and listened to more. I asked people what other bands I should listen to, is there something even better than this? I credit this album with my current love for extreme metal.

5. Cormorant - Metazoa I've been wondering whether this actually belongs here or not, I mean, it only came out like 9 months ago. I believe this belongs here for a few reasons. One, it is probably one of the best metal albums I have heard. Others disagree, but it will stand the test of time, and I will be listening to it in 2040. But more importantly, it assured me that there is serious talent in the underground. I was wading around in unknown bands every now and then hearing a good one and listening to it, but I mainly stuck with better known black, death and thrash bands. This album made me think "jesus, there's all this amazing metal out there I haven't heard yet, I need to hear it all right now." This album is what perpetuated me into the metalhead I am now, the one that is ravenous to find that diamond in the rough, and find something truly special.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
5. Cormorant - Metazoa I've been wondering whether this actually belongs here or not, I mean, it only came out like 9 months ago. I believe this belongs here for a few reasons. One, it is probably one of the best metal albums I have heard. Others disagree, but it will stand the test of time, and I will be listening to it in 2040. But more importantly, it assured me that there is serious talent in the underground. I was wading around in unknown bands every now and then hearing a good one and listening to it, but I mainly stuck with better known black, death and thrash bands. This album made me think "jesus, there's all this amazing metal out there I haven't heard yet, I need to hear it all right now." This album is what perpetuated me into the metalhead I am now, the one that is ravenous to find that diamond in the rough, and find something truly special.
It is an amazing album, isn't it? I found them through Ashkira. I see your signature you just saw them, you gotta tell how the show was!

I'll post my top 5 later.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_halperin View Post
It is an amazing album, isn't it? I found them through Ashkira. I see your signature you just saw them, you gotta tell how the show was!

I'll post my top 5 later.
I've seen Ashkira twice now and they are really awesome. I found Ashkira through Cormorant, so I think they like referring people to eachother. I think The Honor of Defeat is how to properly make a metalcore album. They've got the hooks, the heaviness, but still make it technical, melodic and fun to listen to.

If I'm not talking about how I saw Cormorant in a 40 person venue and it was amazing talking to them in 10 years, something's wrong with this world.