Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014
Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Old 05-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Concert Veteran

Your favorite Dio memories

I figured it might be kind of cool to pay honor to him by starting a thread about fond memories we all have of Ronnie James Dio.

I was fortunte enough to see Dio live on four seperate ocassions. The first time was in 1992 on Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer tour. This was only my second ever metal show and I was blown away not only by Dio's perfromance but the whole bands. Still to this day the heavist and loudest show i've ever been to For such a little man he had such a strong voice and such a stage presence. I saw him solo in 1997 and 1998 both in small clubs and he played as if he was in front of a full arena of people. The last time I saw him was with Heaven & Hell in 2007. Once again he performed great and besides his voice not being what it used to be he didn't show to many signs of age at all. I will never forget any of these shows as they are all some of my favorites ever.

My best Dio memory though is that I actually meet him The day of the show that I saw him at back in 1998 he did a CD signing at a local record store earlier that day. All I could do when I meet him was shake his hand and tell how it was great to meet him and his music meant the world to me. He said "thank you, that means so much to me" Then asked me my name and signed my 'Last In Line' CD He wrote "To Jeff, Magic, Ronnie James Dio" The meeting was so brief yet it meant so much to me. It means even more to me now that he's passed away. To this day he's the only big rock/metal star i've ever meet. Honestly, after meeting him I never had intrest in meeting any other famous musicians because I meet Dio and the rest didn't matter after that.

Anyone else got any memories about Ronnie that you would like to share?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:54 PM
D.B.B.

Seeing him at the Greek. Yeah It was just like any other show that he and Sabbath put on, but this was special for me because it was my first and only show I went to with my father. Me and him don't have the best relationship, father/son wise, but it was great to be there with him.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:55 PM
We're dying on the inside

Front row, Heaven and Hell with Megadeth, Cincinnati, May 8, 2007. At the time I was most impressed by being so close to Iommi, but at least today, being so close to Ronnie means a lot. A picture I took while Dio ran around stage with a bra he caught from an admirer, singing "Neon Knights" with the lyrics "Neon tits/neon tits/Show me your lumps":

Old 05-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Face The Slayer

Listening to his era of Sabbath, really helped me get into metal. You guys probably have much better moments than me..but this does have meaning to me..I never though I would see this day..RIP
Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

I would say the first times I heard his voice on Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and Heaven and Hell by Sabbath which my parents used to play on vinyl all the time.

Sadly, I never got a chance to see him live . I really wish I would have went to one of the Heaven and Hell shows back in 2007.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Regretting my username

First metal album I ever bought: The Very Beast Of Dio. Around 2003 or so. Been my favorite vocalist ever since.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:18 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

The only time i saw him was in 07 with heaven and hell. I wasnt up front butr i was close enought to the stage of two metal gods. Dio and Ioomi.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Whenever I was 8 years old, I started listening to Ozzy Osbourne. Soon after that I started listening to Black Sabbath.

I had all the Ozzy era Sabbath stuff. Then on a Greatest Hits package I heard the song Heaven and Hell. After that, it was all about Dio. I used to own at least 6 or 7 of his albums, and they changed my life, and propelled my interest in Heavy Metal.

Over the years though, as that interest propelled forward, I basically forgot how much I admired his music, and skipped out on the only chance I've ever had to see him, which was in 2007 whenever Heaven and Hell was touring with Motorhead, Testament, and Judas Priest. I now regret that.

It's funny how things work out though. Yesterday, a friend was at my house and he just happened to have a copy of Mob Rules with him, so I loaded it onto my computer, and I remembered how much I admired Dio's work. Then today, I learned of his death.

So, I had no choice but to go out and look for the old Dio albums I used to own. I picked up Dream Evil, The Last in Line, and Heaven and Hell. I wasn't able to find my childhood favorite, "Strange Highways", though, but that's ok.

His music will live on forever inside of me, and I will never forget about him again.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

I have two.

My first Dio show in 2002 on the 'Killing The Dragon' tour. I was near the back, in the 2000 capacity Astoria, and just sang along to every word of every song. At that time there was no-one I wanted to see live more.

Killing The Dragon
Children of The Sea >
Egypt (The Chains Are On) >
Children of The Sea (Reprise)
Stand Up And Shout
Drum Solo
Push
Don't Talk To Strangers
Heaven and Hell
Rock & Roll
Man on The Silver Mountain >
Guitar Solo >
Long Live Rock n Roll >
Man on The Silver Mountain (Reprise)
Lord of The Last Day
Fever Dreams
Holy Diver
The Last in Line
----------------
Rainbow in The Dark
The Mob Rules
We Rock

And last year. I had a photo pit pass for the Gods of Metal festival in Italy, and watched Dio sing my all-time favourite Sabbath song, 'I', from a few feet away.

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2009/god...#heavenandhell

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 05-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

The first time I heard Heaven and Hell a few years ago.

I never saw him live, I would have loved to, but I didn't need to for him to have a massive effect on my life.