Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014

  #21  
Old 05-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Travis The Dragon's Avatar
Travis The Dragon Travis The Dragon is offline
Dragon Of The R˙che
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
From what I understand it goes on sale tonight online at Midnight.
Ya, but in what timezone?
__________________
My concerts, future and past: fonzbear2000.blogspot.com
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-31-2010, 02:48 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
Ya, but in what timezone?
Eastern Standard Time

So 11pm for us in Wisconsin/Minnesota.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Sanitarium78's Avatar
Sanitarium78 Sanitarium78 is offline
Concert Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngandaspiring View Post
Can any Rush fan explain to me why they haven't written a song over 6 minutes since Moving Pictures? Their best work was always their long stuff. I'd love for another 2112/Cygnus/Camera Eye style epic.
Probably because they don't want to anymore and grew tired of writting long songs all the time. Also it's better for selecting songs live. You don't wanna have the same thing happen with their sets as it does with Dream Theater for example. Writting long songs can be a pain in the ass to do live. It can also limit what you do live and causes you to play less songs because they take up so much time.

As for them not writting a song over six minutes since Moving Pictures it seems as if you don't know your Rush too well. Here's a list of songs that they've done that are over or close to the 6 minute range since that album:

Alien Shore 5:48
Marathon 6:10
Territories 6:21
Mystic Rhythms 5:48
Presto 5:46
Digital Man 6:22
The Weapon 6:24
Countdown 5:50
Armor & Sword 6:36
The Main Monkey Buisness 6:02
The Way The Wind Blows 6:28
Test For Echo 5:56
Virtuality 5:44
Secret Touch 6:35
Freeze 6:21

I'm probably missing a few but I think my point has been made. There, you've just been educated
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:39 PM
youngandaspiring youngandaspiring is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: los angeles
Posts: 99
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Probably because they don't want to anymore and grew tired of writting long songs all the time. Also it's better for selecting songs live. You don't wanna have the same thing happen with their sets as it does with Dream Theater for example. Writting long songs can be a pain in the ass to do live. It can also limit what you do live and causes you to play less songs because they take up so much time.

As for them not writting a song over six minutes since Moving Pictures it seems as if you don't know your Rush too well. Here's a list of songs that they've done that are over or close to the 6 minute range since that album:

Alien Shore 5:48
Marathon 6:10
Territories 6:21
Mystic Rhythms 5:48
Presto 5:46
Digital Man 6:22
The Weapon 6:24
Countdown 5:50
Armor & Sword 6:36
The Main Monkey Buisness 6:02
The Way The Wind Blows 6:28
Test For Echo 5:56
Virtuality 5:44
Secret Touch 6:35
Freeze 6:21

I'm probably missing a few but I think my point has been made. There, you've just been educated
Wow a song 28 seconds longer than 6 minutes. Let me rephrase - Rush haven't written a song over 7 minutes since Moving Pictures.

I would like for them to write long songs once again, since I enjoy their longer songs a lot more than any of their shorter ones, much in the same way I enjoy long Dream Theater songs.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Indestructible's Avatar
Indestructible Indestructible is offline
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 4,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post

Marathon 6:10
Territories 6:21
Mystic Rhythms 5:48
Presto 5:46
The Weapon 6:24
Armor & Sword 6:36
The Way The Wind Blows 6:28
Test For Echo 5:56
Secret Touch 6:35
These rush songs are just as good as any long rush song.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,072
Short songs, long songs, who gives a fuck? IT's Rush! As long as it is good that's all that matters.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:55 PM
youngandaspiring youngandaspiring is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: los angeles
Posts: 99
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
These rush songs are just as good as any long rush song.
Marathon maybe. Armor and Sword is also great. But the very idea of musical progression is correlated (and somewhat caused) by song length, as 6 minutes is just often not long enough to develop musical themes. Obviously it's nice to have diversity in song length, but what's really stopping them from creating a long song once in a while? I don't buy the 'live songs' explanation - fans would literally go mental for a full scale rendition of 2112 or Cygnus. Then we look at their long songs:

2112
Cygnus
Natural Science
La Villa Strangiato
Xanadu

These songs crush everything in their path. Those shorter songs aren't bad, but they just don't feel epic enough.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Indestructible's Avatar
Indestructible Indestructible is offline
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 4,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngandaspiring View Post
Marathon maybe. Armor and Sword is also great. But the very idea of musical progression is correlated (and somewhat caused) by song length, as 6 minutes is just often not long enough to develop musical themes. Obviously it's nice to have diversity in song length, but what's really stopping them from creating a long song once in a while? I don't buy the 'live songs' explanation - fans would literally go mental for a full scale rendition of 2112 or Cygnus. Then we look at their long songs:

2112
Cygnus
Natural Science
La Villa Strangiato
Xanadu

These songs crush everything in their path. Those shorter songs aren't bad, but they just don't feel epic enough.
I think all rush songs are epic weather its 2 minutes or 20 minutes.
Heres the thing about long songs it might be tireing for the band to write 10-20 minute songs and then go out to play them live. Some listeners cant handle long songs all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-31-2010, 04:12 PM
youngandaspiring youngandaspiring is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: los angeles
Posts: 99
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
I think all rush songs are epic weather its 2 minutes or 20 minutes.
Heres the thing about long songs it might be tireing for the band to write 10-20 minute songs and then go out to play them live. Some listeners cant handle long songs all the time.
Again, I'm not saying all the time. But they haven't written one in nearly 30 years. 30 years.

30 years.

Yes it could be tiring to play it live. Maybe not all the fans will enjoy it. But for the sake of musical progression and creative ideas, is it really plausible that they never had inspiration to write anything 8-10 minutes long since 1981? I find that hard to believe, considering how they churned them out on an album to album basis before. It's nice that they've continually evolved their sound, but no top 10 list of Rush would be complete without listing at least a few of their longer works.

Prog bands are usually also defined by their epics as well. See 'A Change of Seasons'. 'Supper's Ready'. 'Crimson'. 'The Perfect Element'. '2112'. 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'. Heck, even regular Metal bands write longer songs. Look at Iron Maiden - they have the time to blast out a 7 to 8 minute rendition of Hallowed and Fear of the Dark every show. If these bands can do it, why oh why can't Rush give it a spin?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-31-2010, 04:16 PM
Indestructible's Avatar
Indestructible Indestructible is offline
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 4,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngandaspiring View Post
Again, I'm not saying all the time. But they haven't written one in nearly 30 years. 30 years.

30 years.

Yes it could be tiring to play it live. Maybe not all the fans will enjoy it. But for the sake of musical progression and creative ideas, is it really plausible that they never had inspiration to write anything 8-10 minutes long since 1981? I find that hard to believe, considering how they churned them out on an album to album basis before. It's nice that they've continually evolved their sound, but no top 10 list of Rush would be complete without listing at least a few of their longer works.

Prog bands are usually also defined by their epics as well. See 'A Change of Seasons'. 'Supper's Ready'. 'Crimson'. 'The Perfect Element'. '2112'. 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'. Heck, even regular Metal bands write longer songs. Look at Iron Maiden - they have the time to blast out a 7 to 8 minute rendition of Hallowed and Fear of the Dark every show. If these bands can do it, why oh why can't Rush give it a spin?
Rush may have stopped writing long 10-20 minute songs but there creativity and musical progression never decreased.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008