Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 05-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Ironbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Haha, shuffle a few years around and that's more or less exactly the same for me. 'cept I never saw him as a support band... always headliner
Yes! I saw that in the other thread! Quite similar indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Probably the best Dio setlist I saw him do was in 2008. He was just doing a handful of solo shows while H&H had some time off, and didn't play any Sabbath songs because of H&H, so replaced them with things like 'Temple of The King', 'Sacred Heart', 'Lord of The Last Day', 'Killing The Dragon' and 'Rock And Roll Children'

That said, I also saw him on a mini promo tour for 'Master of The Moon' in 2004 before the album came out, when he busted out 'King of Rock And Roll', 'Gates of Babylon' and 'Stargazer'...
That totally rules. But I still saw Magica.
I wish I could remember some of the setlists/obscure songs from the years I saw him live, maybe it will come to me.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

When I was first getting into Metal, Ozzy Sabbath was the only Sabbath I listened to. I don't remember where along the road I was exposed to Dio Sabbath, but I never turned back. For as long as I've known his material, Dio has been my favorite of the Sabbath vocalists, which is why my fondest (and only) live Dio memory is of seeing him with Heaven and Hell (the only live incarnation of Sabbath that I've seen), with Alice Cooper and Queensryche opening.

The Massachusetts date was at the end of Locobazooka, which was a local festival (I believe it's relocated since). Tons of bands played throughout the day, and many were awful, though I remember Meliah Rage also putting on a good show that day. There were three or four stages set up in the parking lot area of the venue, but all three acts on the H&H bill were set to play the amphitheater stage, and as the only acts to play the stage it almost felt like it was a separate show together.

It was a surreal experience. I'm wearing my shirt from that show today, actually. I never thought I would get to see Dio front Black Sabbath live, and getting to witness it first hand was amazing. I admit, I feel foolish for the many times I've passed them up - I believe there was a local date for every North American tour they did. But atleast I got to see him the once, to hear some of my favorite Sabbath songs performed almost flawlessly by a top-notch act and phenomenal vocalist.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

I only have one, seeing him with heaven and hell last year. But man it was a great performance, and seeing so much heavy metal talent on one stage was breath-taking.. and his speech before falling off the edge of the world was truly heart-warming..

'The world still isn't a great place, but we have you, we have us, and we have the music'

Made me feel like I belonged to something, and thats a big thing for me, and for that I will always love him.

Thank you Dio, for who you are, and the great memories and moments you gave to all of us.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 PM
N00B

For anyone who has Sirius, Scott Ferrall on H101 is replaying an interview with Dio from 2009 for the next hour. Show replays on the same channel tomorrow morning. Pretty cool so far
MDF
Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

The Sacred Heart show in the old Montreal forum back in '85 , my 2 nd show ever after World Slavery a year before. that was a amazing show ... a huge production , the stage & gimmicks were really big, Dio was almost has huge as Maiden in terms of popularity in those days here in Montreal... what a show ...

... course Ronnie and the boys were on fire !

Cheers Ronnie ! Thanks You - R.I.P.
PowerMaiden
Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
The Sacred Heart show in the old Montreal forum back in '85 , my 2 nd show ever after World Slavery a year before. that was a amazing show ... a huge production , the stage & gimmicks were really big, Dio was almost has huge as Maiden in terms of popularity in those days here in Montreal... what a show ...

... course Ronnie and the boys were on fire !

Cheers Ronnie ! Thanks You - R.I.P.
PowerMaiden
I'm not sure how much the Sacred Heart DVD does this show justice but this is always a tour I wished I was old enough to have seen. I hear nothing but praise for the show they did at this time.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Semper Fidelis

Arrow

I was fortunate enough to see him six times over the years:

12/28/1984 - Tucson, AZ - Dio/Dokken (Last in Line Tour)
11/24/1985 - Tucson, AZ - Dio/Rough Cutt (Sacred Heart Tour)
07/23/1986 - Phoenix, AZ - Dio/Accept (Intermission Tour)
08/03/1998 - San Diego, CA - Iron Maiden/Dio
03/11/2007 - Vancouver, BC - H&H/Megadeth/Down (1st H&H live show?)
08/28/2008 - Phoenix, AZ - Metal Masters

25 years on, the Last in Line show is still right up there in my all time top 5.

Rest in Peace Ronnie. Thanks for all of the great music & memories!
11/19 - Onslaught
11/22 - Judas Priest
11/23 - Alice Cooper
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM
The Cheese

I uploaded a recording I made during Dio's 2004 tour of "Gates of Babylon" if you want to take a listen.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:34 PM
When will Jesus bring the pork chops?

This is a great thread. Besides the thousands of hours I've spent listening to his music the last 20 years, I saw Dio twice back in the 90s and in 07 with H&H. I was up close to the stage all 3 times. At 60 some years old he had so much power in his voice and energy. He just owned the stage he was playing on. My best memory though was meeting him at a meet and greet the day of a show. I had nothing for him to sign. I just wanted to meet him.He asked me my name and I just shook his hand and said it was great to meet him and how great he was. He said "thanks for the kind words. I appreciated it. Have a good day". He will be missed. RIP Ronnie James Dio